E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > BC license in California

10-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
M2withACC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

BC license in California

Hi folks,

I am a Canadian from Vancouver. I am planning to go to LA for school. Roughly 3 to 6 months depends on the programs I take. Most likely I will get a student visa i20. Can I just go to the DMV and hand in my BC class 5 license for a CA? I have googled and it seems the DMV require me to take a written and road test again. I also plan to purchase a used 335i there and sell the car when I leave in several months. Anyway, I need to have a California license to purchase a car correct? I do have to pay the CA's tax and registration, yes?

Thanks for any inputs
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
MandMs335Msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i M-sport, '10, etc

I don't think you have to have a cali license to purchase a car here. However, the dealer won't let you leave the lot with out insurance. So, perhaps for the insurance you will need a cali license. Its the easiest test in the world. Study the book at the local DMV for ten minutes, any language you prefer. And take the stupidly easy driving test, ((A monkey could pass it)) and you will be good to go.
Appreciate 0