E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Power Steering Pump Replacement

02-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

I have only driven a 335d lci but that has a different setup so I couldnt say but most dont like the servotronic. The mk5 golf, gti at least was actually very good and almost focus like in the handling dept. I have driven a few. I usually just tweak tracking myself as I have an idea of where I want it. My last e46 had the opposite problem where it didnt really want to turn in and was too stable. A front and rear adjustment did cure it so I know its possible to change the characteristics. I dont know for sure but I think I know where you are coming from. Hit a cats eye at 90mph no problem, try it at 150 and you will know about it. The rear shocks arent really up to it on the rebound side either.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #24
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: GT86 DGM

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade146 View Post
I have only driven a 335d lci but that has a different setup so I couldnt say but most dont like the servotronic. The mk5 golf, gti at least was actually very good and almost focus like in the handling dept. I have driven a few. I usually just tweak tracking myself as I have an idea of where I want it. My last e46 had the opposite problem where it didnt really want to turn in and was too stable. A front and rear adjustment did cure it so I know its possible to change the characteristics. I dont know for sure but I think I know where you are coming from. Hit a cats eye at 90mph no problem, try it at 150 and you will know about it. The rear shocks arent really up to it on the rebound side either.
Yeah thats what i heard on the servotronic front. I only had a mk5 gt before my bimmer and was going to get a gti. really wish i had done sometimes. i know they aint got the class but i bet its more fun. What i dont get is the si is billed as the best handling 3 this side of an m3 but as you mention. Theres to much poor setup to throw them all over the place. its like i can feel why rwd is the purist choice when driving it ie lack of understeer, nice progressive oversteer but think i need it in another application like a subaru brz?? cant afford one right now tho i want to try and test another si with other make rfts on to see if my mate in athens is right as he says his is transformed with the p zeros...
      02-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #25
two,_OH_five
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335d

It would be interesting if you could program the servotronic system

Part of the problem I have with the car is a complete lack of feeling through the steering wheel. I find it massivly over assisted. Yes the seat of your pants tells you what's happening but there's no feel of grip level through the wheel. I can't feel the wheel starting to go light when approaching under steer. Maybe I'm just used to old technology and not sensitive enough for modern lightweight steering

This could also be the issue you're having. The chassis is quite responsive to small steering inputs but its actually so easy to inadvertantly make them which could make the car feel nervous

Coupled with ponderous bulk and poor chassis control I find mine far from the ultimate driving machine but I wasn't expecting a race car
Feels like mine needs much more rollbar and damping before geometry tweaks would be the icing on the cake.
For sure some tyres with a bit more grip than the rfts would help too but they've all got 6-7mm left

Edited to add
Non rft would also make it feel less nervous due to the softer sidewalls but at the expense of "crispness"

Last edited by two,_OH_five; 02-14-2013 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #26
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonSI View Post
Yeah thats what i heard on the servotronic front. I only had a mk5 gt before my bimmer and was going to get a gti. really wish i had done sometimes. i know they aint got the class but i bet its more fun. What i dont get is the si is billed as the best handling 3 this side of an m3 but as you mention. Theres to much poor setup to throw them all over the place. its like i can feel why rwd is the purist choice when driving it ie lack of understeer, nice progressive oversteer but think i need it in another application like a subaru brz?? cant afford one right now tho i want to try and test another si with other make rfts on to see if my mate in athens is right as he says his is transformed with the p zeros...
Mate factory set up is understeer. That why you have more camber in the rear.
Bmw assume that all people who buy their cars are not Kimmi. Hence you have to spec the settings on a geo.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #27
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
I guess then to get the 3 series handling the way you want it needs tweaking. Maybe by a place like WIM? The places near me have the tech but i don't feel like i can trust them properly.

Just confuses me after reading articles like - http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...w_3series.html

"I love the way the 320si allows you to compress every corner into a seamless and efficient action. Turn in, feel the nose bite instantly, then jump on the power – no waiting for the car to settle or fearing the tail might snap away. Stay disciplined and use the si’s grip and poise and it’s a really addictive car to drive. The feeling that you’re squeezing every last drop from engine and chassis is genuinely thrilling."
      02-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #28
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

I mostly agree with all the above comments and as I said they are sensitive to tyres, pressures and geo. Having said that I do love my car and Im not trying to run it down. Most Audis/VW (mk5 golf excepted) group cars leave me cold in the dynamics side of it. BMW are pretty good for steering feel unless you have come from a Porsche. I still believe in RWD and if you want that there isnt too much choice.

Try some tyres on your SI as it does make a difference or the other thing I have is spacers on the rear coupled with non rfts and some toe in on the front. I agree the steering weight is on the light side and not easily solved. Dont forget when you make them too stable they understeer and you do see some people complaining of that. They are really german cortinas and compared to the competition are pretty good. Try a sporty merc with a slush box. Yuk. Audis look good and go straight on at every corner, yuk. I have had 3 golf gti`s of various eras and not kept one longer than six months I didnt rate any of them, culminating in the mk4 which was awful imho. The mk5 was a big attempt by VW to impress drivers and it was a good car.
btw I dont think the si that Ive looked at had anything different suspension wise. I know the engines are hand built and trouble and obviously the wheels but the shocks at least look std.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #29
carbonSI
Private First Class
England
Rep

Garage List
2006 320si  [0.00]
Yeah ade the suspension i believe is m sport stock. Just had bigger discs and wheel mounts compared to normal 320 m sport. Just spoke to my father and he said get rid cus its not that powerful (which is true) although i really like the engine, love NA and throttle response is awesome when its wound up. He said you can buy quicker cars which are so much more fuel efficient. No offence but i've done the diesel thing and won't be going back.

Wouldn't mind trying a modern c class sport with a manual. I know what you said but i read somewhere the 2007 c class was a return to form for merc and handled pretty much the same as an e90?? Or perhaps a mk6 golf to keep it classy. Have you got any other suggestions?