E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Official runner's thread

07-18-2006, 01:01 AM   #45
Fenianz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
I know what he is doing and this is to supplement his 3 day training to add diversity and improve his cardio. Its the summer anyway so I cannot see any reason not to train outside. Show me the treadmill that you are talking about.
Diversity along with stretches are good. I'm just simply trying to point out that treadmills could help him. I don't believe he should stay clear of treadmills, like you have stated. Also, depending on your schedule, running (outdoors) in the afternoon is not advisable, especially in this blazing heat.
As for the brand of treadmills; Precor, Nordic Track, and my favorite Smooth all have great cushioned models.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 01:09 AM   #46
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Quote:
Elliptical trainer, deep water running and cycling are the best choice for exercises.
Now bavarian19 is a triathlete
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 02:05 AM   #47
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenianz
Diversity along with stretches are good. I'm just simply trying to point out that treadmills could help him. I don't believe he should stay clear of treadmills, like you have stated. Also, depending on your schedule, running (outdoors) in the afternoon is not advisable, especially in this blazing heat.
As for the brand of treadmills; Precor, Nordic Track, and my favorite Smooth all have great cushioned models.
Let me say this. I have been a physical therapy assistant for the past 11 years and in the military. I have treated many people with back pain and believe me in my experience the treadmill is not something you want to get on. I have yet to run on or have seen anything great as far as treadmills goes. I have been to plenty of gyms and ordered plenty of equipment in my time and the treadmill is just a no-no for low back pain. Any other person would be ok but for him could cause more pain. That is why I suggested the other exercises to give more diversity with other cardio/running like exercises with no-impact. Common sense would tell you not to run in the afternoon but not impossible with proper hydration and conditioning. The military does it everyday. Lets just say you have you opinions and I have my experiences unless you have something to add.
      07-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #48
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_325Ci
Now bavarian19 is a triathlete

Thats actually what I was starting to train for when I got my back injuries...

By the way... I cant do treadmills... I get bored after 1 mile... Plus the physics of running on it is completely different than running on a track or trail. on a treadmill, the ground is already moving past you, and you just 'ride' the treadmill for that distance... Running on a trail, you have to continually push yourself forward, giving you a better workout...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #49
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19

Thats actually what I was starting to train for when I got my back injuries...

By the way... I cant do treadmills... I get bored after 1 mile... Plus the physics of running on it is completely different than running on a track or trail. on a treadmill, the ground is already moving past you, and you just 'ride' the treadmill for that distance... Running on a trail, you have to continually push yourself forward, giving you a better workout...
Go to the pool and get in the deep end and move your legs as if you were running and do the same time and see how you feel afterwards. They usually have a rubber tie that attaches to you. Aqua jogger I believe.
      07-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #50
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Go to the pool and get in the deep end and move your legs as if you were running and do the same time and see how you feel afterwards. They usually have a rubber tie that attaches to you. Aqua jogger I believe.

Ill give it a shot at the gym tomorrow...
Appreciate 0