E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > No Audio for MP3s on CD [2006 530xi]

05-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
kooliehi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 530xi

No Audio for MP3s on CD [2006 530xi]

Hi everyone,

I've been playing this CD with MP3s burnt on it fine since I got this car 5 months ago with no problems. Today I play the CD and there is no audio. The track time for the song goes on but no audio. I crank the volume and mute then unmute and still no audio. I eject the CD and the source switches to radio and I get audio. I insert the CD with MP3s back in and again, no audio. I then insert a regular store bought CD with 12 tracks and it plays fine with audio. I put back the CD with MP3s and again no audio. I switch from FM then to AM all other sources and I get audio. I go back to CD with MP3s and no audio. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

I think my dad's 530xi wagon had the same problem. He went to the dealer and they replaced the audio unit i think. Not sure but what i do know is that going to the dealer will fix the problem
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
If you have the MP3 option enabled (which I'm guessing you do), you can only play MP3 CDs from the drive in the dash. The 6 disc changer will NOT play MP3 CDs. If that isn't the problem, take it into the dealer. I believe there is a SIB for that, but I'm not sure. Don't quote me on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
kooliehi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 530xi

thanks for the help. i started the car to go to work this morning and the mp3 cd played fine (from the dash, i do not have the cd changer option). i hate that it fixed itself over night because i'm afraid it will do it again permanently next time when my warranty is over.

slight problem, on my HOME from work, as I was turning the iDrive dial to scroll for a song, the dial went into a free spin where there was no force feedback. I kept on pressing the menu button and the button next to it (voice command) but no response. I was able to go back and forth on tracks with the buttons on the steering wheel but the dial did nothing but spin free. after about 30 seconds the iDrive went back to the start menu and the dial got it's force feedback again. but the voice cammand went on and off about 6-7 times because i repeatedly pressed before to wake the dial back up.

how would the dealership fix this if i can't recreate the incident. would me explaining this be enough grounds to replace something that would assure its reliability (fingers crossed them replacing the iDrive system)

i am predicting the FAILDOZER to be make a massive appearance on my iDrive in the future (most likely after warranty is over)
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

You would have to recreate the problem @ the dealership. I'd say when it happens again go straight to the dealer and don't turn the car off.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
samabhi12
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooliehi View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been playing this CD with MP3s burnt on it fine since I got this car 5 months ago with no problems. Today I play the CD and there is no audio. The track time for the song goes on but no audio. I crank the volume and mute then unmute and still no audio. I eject the CD and the source switches to radio and I get audio. I insert the CD with MP3s back in and again, no audio. I then insert a regular store bought CD with 12 tracks and it plays fine with audio. I put back the CD with MP3s and again no audio. I switch from FM then to AM all other sources and I get audio. I go back to CD with MP3s and no audio. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
I think the problem is in laser reading part of the system.