E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB+ & Steptronic

08-12-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
irq5
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, M-Sport, 8AT

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
JB+ & Steptronic

Hey Guys

Have searched and haven't found much on the subject - does anyone find that the Steptronic gearbox isn't "clever" enough to deal with the JB+ on a higher than 50% setting? I find that the gearbox holds on to the gears for far too long compared to the power that's available.

I know that it's most likely due to the fact that the gearbox can't adapt much based on it's standard mapping. Just wanted to know if there is anything you can do other than throwing it into manual and shifting yourself?

Also, I was wondering whether it's the same with other JB tunes? JB3 / 4 etc.?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irq5 View Post
Hey Guys

Have searched and haven't found much on the subject - does anyone find that the Steptronic gearbox isn't "clever" enough to deal with the JB+ on a higher than 50% setting? I find that the gearbox holds on to the gears for far too long compared to the power that's available.

I know that it's most likely due to the fact that the gearbox can't adapt much based on it's standard mapping. Just wanted to know if there is anything you can do other than throwing it into manual and shifting yourself?

Also, I was wondering whether it's the same with other JB tunes? JB3 / 4 etc.?
At WOT or just normal driving? I have Dinan S2 and it does the same thing at WOT, holding out until redline. If I want to stay in the powerband I have to shift manually.

If you mean just piddling around in DD mode then definitely not, but I would be interested too, as I was thinking of adding a flash tune JB+ on top of what I have.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
irq5
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Just normal driving. It's not bad at all - just seems like it should change earlier and doesn't...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

The tranny adapts to your driving style, regardless of the tune you have.

It may be worth a try to reset this adaptation, with a BT scantool.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
irq5
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
The tranny adapts to your driving style, regardless of the tune you have.

It may be worth a try to reset this adaptation, with a BT scantool.
Might be an idea. I don't have a BT tool yet. Planning on getting a JB4 soon though and will get one at the same time.

For now I think there's another reset you can do with the brake pedal or something - will look around for that. It's worth a try for now I suppose until I get the BT tool.

Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0