E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Which Flexfuel kit would you recommend in 2015?

10-14-2015, 05:43 AM   #23
JasW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk55 View Post
you could but the when your running alot boost and timing on e85?

with the jb4 you get HPFP failsafe which is really nice... bank1 and bank2 afr failsafes.... overboost failsafe..etc...

lets say u drive with e50... then you fill up 5 gallons e85.. you have to recalculate your percentage....

for me there was always some uncertainity with how much e85 i was running i was targeting around e50-e60... i didn't measure it on the pump....

if i did a pull with the jb4, hit failsafe, i would just reduce the boost... which is really nice...

if your running 100% e85 its not an issue... but sorta hard to do that right now...

if your running on a tune alone, your relying on the dme to pull timing... which is the dme basically sensing knock...

i like my engine, i err on the side of caution...

as of right now my engine is at the bleeding edge, near maxed out HPFP, and stock clutch can't hold the power... so i log with jb4 every fill up....

i am sorta biased towards the JB4, i am testing the failsafe logging i requested terry too put in... overall i think its gonna make it us safer to tune the N54...

for e85 i go with JB4 stacked MHD flasher .
Thanks, I was curious as to the particulars of why someone running E85 felt it was necessary to have a JB4 backend flash with MHD. You don't get that failsafe with a custom E85 map on MHD alone, but I supposed the key as always is to log, log, log, and watch your rail pressure on MHD to make sure your HPFP is doing all right.

I don't find blend calculations a real problem because I use this ethanol blend calculator, which tells you how many gallons of each to put in to achieve a particular blend, based on the number of gallons of the existing blend that remains in your tank. I'm always able to estimate the remaining number of gallons in the tank with reasonable accuracy using the onboard mpg and miles remaining readouts.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #24
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasW View Post
Thanks, I was curious as to the particulars of why someone running E85 felt it was necessary to have a JB4 backend flash with MHD. You don't get that failsafe with a custom E85 map on MHD alone, but I supposed the key as always is to log, log, log, and watch your rail pressure on MHD to make sure your HPFP is doing all right.

I don't find blend calculations a real problem because I use this ethanol blend calculator, which tells you how many gallons of each to put in to achieve a particular blend, based on the number of gallons of the existing blend that remains in your tank. I'm always able to estimate the remaining number of gallons in the tank with reasonable accuracy using the onboard mpg and miles remaining readouts.
you will be put into limp mode if your hpfp psi is dipping to low with any tune, well before you would blow your motor from low fuel pressure.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 01:19 AM   #25
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

I've looked around but I haven't heard much about the AD engineering with their e85 fuel pump kit. Has anyone heard anything or experienced it? found here

http://www.ad-eng.net/store/c7/N54.html
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #26
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidoman View Post
I've looked around but I haven't heard much about the AD engineering with their e85 fuel pump kit. Has anyone heard anything or experienced it? found here

i didn't even know they made one?

LPFP i would go fuel it..... good vendor support...

PI kit go AD engineering...awesome price...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #27
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
you will be put into limp mode if your hpfp psi is dipping to low with any tune, well before you would blow your motor from low fuel pressure.
The poor man's fail safe!
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #28
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The poor man's fail safe!

thats my thoughts exactly...

ok $500 for a jb4 all the failsafes.... vs risking 10k engine replacement...

you see a blown engine hear or there... i figure the ecu didn't catch those problems fast enough...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #29
Chris@BoostConcepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i, 2007 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidoman View Post

That states it is just the pump and generic installation kit. It isn't designed as a solution to installing in our platforms fuel system.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #30
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thats my thoughts exactly...

ok $500 for a jb4 all the failsafes.... vs risking 10k engine replacement...

you see a blown engine hear or there... i figure the ecu didn't catch those problems fast enough...
Actually, unless I missed the point entirely, I believe csu indicated you wouldn't blow your motor because you'd be put into limp mode before that could happen.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #31
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Actually, unless I missed the point entirely, I believe csu indicated you wouldn't blow your motor because you'd be put into limp mode before that could happen.
Correct. Both a flash tune only and a jb4 can blow an engine if the person using/tuning doesnt know what they are doing or ignores the signs. You can put your JB4 Boost Failsafe at 50psi and blow your engine up well before it kicks you into map 4 for example.

It all comes down to the end user and end tuner. If one of those is incompetent, then you will have issues. There was a thread a little bit ago where an end user was using a tune that was not finalized and running extremely lean even when given a safer map and ended up ruining a set of turbos.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #32
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
you missing the point... the jb4 adds more failsafe..

this assumes that ecu catches that and it probably does for 90% of the cases...

but your tuner makes a mistake you will blow a motor... wheras if you had a tune + the jb4... you prob goto map 4 failsafe...

my point your in general safer with the jb4 and a tune...

you got a whole forum dedicated on setting up the jb4 safetly.. so highly doubt you would set max boost to 50... unless your an idiot.

just google you will see several n54 running meth with blown turbo? how did this happen? the ecu should caught this and dropped timing significantly?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #33
JasW
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
you missing the point... the jb4 adds more failsafe..

this assumes that ecu catches that and it probably does for 90% of the cases...

but your tuner makes a mistake you will blow a motor... wheras if you had a tune + the jb4... you prob goto map 4 failsafe...

my point your in general safer with the jb4 and a tune...

you got a whole forum dedicated on setting up the jb4 safetly.. so highly doubt you would set max boost to 50... unless your an idiot.

just google you will see several n54 running meth with blown turbo? how did this happen? the ecu should caught this and dropped timing significantly?
I'm not running any of these risks with the custom tunes on MHD, so I don't need a JB4. Indeed, this whole sub-part of the thread here stemmed from asking about running straight E85. As compared to, say, the E60 map I have, the all-E85 map is a more conservative one that leaves power on the table. In short: no worries about blowing a motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 05:59 PM   #34
sk55
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not running any of these risks with the custom tunes on MHD, so I don't need a JB4. Indeed, this whole sub-part of the thread here stemmed from asking about running straight E85. As compared to, say, the E60 map I have, the all-E85 map is a more conservative one that leaves power on the table. In short: no worries about blowing a motor.
cool that your running all e85!

yeah its hard to find E85 driving on a long trip.... so i have to mix.
i finally got my ethanol sensor integrated .woot.
Econtent

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #35
csu87
Banned
Rep

Nice. Been planning on installing mine but I'm switching from full e85 back to pump and meth. Tired of driving 30minutes round trip to fill up
Appreciate 0