E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Change radio

11-24-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
aladin3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 318i E46

Smile Change radio

Hi,

I will soon get a used E91 320d which is equipped with idrive and a GPS.
(see photo enclosed)
Knowing that the radio generally provided by BMW is Blaupunkt brand, I
would like to know if I could mount another one instead?? (On the photo,
the radio will likely be located below the A/C)

Is this feasible and, if yes, costly?

thx
Armand
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladin3 View Post
Hi,

I will soon get a used E91 320d which is equipped with idrive and a GPS.
(see photo enclosed)
Knowing that the radio generally provided by BMW is Blaupunkt brand, I
would like to know if I could mount another one instead?? (On the photo,
the radio will likely be located below the A/C)

Is this feasible and, if yes, costly?

thx
Armand
Anything is feasible if you have the money and patience.

What you see below the A/C is the iDrive computer, so removing it to install your aftermarket radio will make the whole OEM audio/GPS system inoperable. You could continue using that screen with an aftermarket radio if you get a special converter.

If that's what you want then there should be plenty of space once you remove the OEM computer for even a double DIN unit. You will need to either get a harness to use the OEM wiring or just layout your own wiring to connect the speakers and any amps.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
aladin3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 318i E46

I'd prefer to have the GPS working and connect another radio in place of the original thing located below the A/C (that looks as a CD player). I would go for a Pioneer or Clarion radio/CD, that have standard ISO connectors but a much better sound. About that thing: is the E90 stock radio located in the same box as the CD player, below the A/C, or is it elsewhere, maybe in the GPS box above?

I have changed the radio of my current E46 and used an adapter that converts the standard ISO connectors (speakers and main) to the connector inside the E46 dashboard (a bigger single connector).
Is this a similar connector or another one? How does the one for the E90 look like and who makes them?
thanks
Armand
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladin3 View Post
I'd prefer to have the GPS working and connect another radio in place of the original thing located below the A/C (that looks as a CD player). I would go for a Pioneer or Clarion radio/CD, that have standard ISO connectors but a much better sound. About that thing: is the E90 stock radio located in the same box as the CD player, below the A/C, or is it elsewhere, maybe in the GPS box above?

I have changed the radio of my current E46 and used an adapter that converts the standard ISO connectors (speakers and main) to the connector inside the E46 dashboard (a bigger single connector).
Is this a similar connector or another one? How does the one for the E90 look like and who makes them?
thanks
Armand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post

What you see below the A/C is the iDrive computer, so removing it to install your aftermarket radio will make the whole OEM audio/GPS system inoperable.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
go upgrade your speakers first. may be you will not want to change your radio after it.