E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Anyone work @ Amzn? Interview question...

02-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Anyone work @ Amzn? Interview question...

Hey guys, I'm going to be interviewing at Amazon's HQ next wk for a finance position. I was going to wear a suit, but the Amzn HR site says it's not necessary. Should I wear a shirt and tie then or skip the tie as well?

If you're at Amzn -- any tips you can give on the on-site interviews? I've been through the 2 phone screens so this is the last 'round.' Flying in from PA, so not familiar w/Seattle work culture/expectations on dress. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
josh_b
Rep
Drives: 335 xdrive E92 '12

Sorry, I don't work at Amazon, hopefully someone on here does, I do live in the neighborhood where the corp HQ is in south lake union in seattle and see the Amazon workers all the time. I have never seen any of them in a suit, mostly they wear khaki's and button down shirts...For a finance interview though I would think you would be ok in a suit or a sport coat with button down shirt. As things go it is a pretty relaxed atmosphere out here compared to philly. Good luck on the interviews...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
Hey guys, I'm going to be interviewing at Amazon's HQ next wk for a finance position. I was going to wear a suit, but the Amzn HR site says it's not necessary. Should I wear a shirt and tie then or skip the tie as well?

If you're at Amzn -- any tips you can give on the on-site interviews? I've been through the 2 phone screens so this is the last 'round.' Flying in from PA, so not familiar w/Seattle work culture/expectations on dress. Thanks!
Dress formally. You've gotten too far to get axed because of bad first impressions. If anything, those who dressed casually will feel out of place next to your formal hotness lol. By dressing professionally, you are showing the recruiter that you are taking the interview very seriously.

Remember the old axiom: "You never get a second chance at a first impression".

Make it count, and good luck my friend!

(my background is in banking, but being in management, I've done my fair share of interviews)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
stadtjunge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

my buddy is a recruiter there. i could ask him? when is the interview?
      02-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I work for a major publisher and I deal with Amazon daily. Although both of our offices are very relaxed daily, my Amazon reps always wear a suit when they come to see me and I always wear one when I go to see them. Even in this day and age, it's kind of respectful to wear a suit or at least a jacket and tie for something really important, and I definitely think the potential of a decent job is worthy. You'll be able to dress like a slob after you get the job. Good luck!

Seattle is one beautiful city, but wait until you try to get a regular cup of coffee, They like to complicate it (and food, but the food is good, just complicated).
      02-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
OkashiiKen
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT JB

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My $.02 - dressing professionally shows respect for the position. I work for a tech company, and have friends that have moved to Amazon - while it's mostly casual attire, for first in person interviews they usually wore a shirt and tie. Admittedly, the expectations may be different between the tech\finance sides, but there's no reason to dress unprofessionally to an interview. Good luck!

20" Vossen CV2s | H&R Sports | Cobb AP | AR DPs | Alpine HID AngelEyes (8K) | Apline HID Fogs (6K)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Raman335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i, 2023 IX M60

My buddy is a recruiter there as well, I can ask him, but I would definitely wear at least a shirt and tie. Wearing a suit does you no harm, can only help.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Thanks for the responses guys..still a little confused, but I might just go w/a shirt, tie, and sweater/vest to keep the tie from annoying me throughout the day. I would actually prefer to wear a suit (w/my background in law & finance), but little cautious about it b/c some comments out there via google that say it might be viewed negatively to wear a suit..esp in light of the way the Amzn site states it:
"Amazon has a casual work environment...most of our offices are filled with people wearing everyday clothes. Dress nicely but comfortably. A suit and tie won't impress anyone here."

Will let you guys know how it goes, it'll be my first time coming to Seattle.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
vuudoopham
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe (AW)

Wear the suit and tie. I work for a large local tech company and I rarely see suit and tie in an interview anymore. Suit and tie is impressing, more so if everyone around is in a t-shirt.

2008 ///M3
vuudoopham@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #10
elektra_e90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i electric red

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
I don't work at Amazon, but have made the move from PA area (lived near KOP) to Bellevue area (east of Seattle). Seattle is a nice city - just be prepared for a lot of gloomy days. After 3 years of that, I could not take it anymore. Other than the weather, it is a great place. Goodluck with your interview, and yes, better to dress up than be under dressed.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
atown88
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan
Thanks for the responses guys..still a little confused, but I might just go w/a shirt, tie, and sweater/vest to keep the tie from annoying me throughout the day. I would actually prefer to wear a suit (w/my background in law & finance), but little cautious about it b/c some comments out there via google that say it might be viewed negatively to wear a suit..esp in light of the way the Amzn site states it:
"Amazon has a casual work environment...most of our offices are filled with people wearing everyday clothes. Dress nicely but comfortably. A suit and tie won't impress anyone here."

Will let you guys know how it goes, it'll be my first time coming to Seattle.
Maybe go for the casual tie. Still wear the slacks but leave the top button of the shirt undone, and then leave the tie loosened. Pair that with a fashionable jacket and you're good!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3

Business casual.

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0