E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > European vs canadian 335i vs 540d???

08-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i premium package 19"ri

European vs canadian 335i vs 540d???

So i live in canada, and recently went on vacation to Portugal. I own am e92 335i. So I'm driving around in my Renault Megan rental lol and I notice how every single BMW I see is 118d 320d 520d 740d and was just wondering how come these Motors don't come out in Canada or the states? Why only the 335d here?
The 320d coupe is nice and looks like its one economic car. Any input in this would be appreciated as I'm really curious as to why BMW only sells these in Europe. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Mainly because there is a market in Europe for selling the diesels there. It basically comes down to supply and demand. Many N. Americans also have an antiquated view on what a modern diesel engine can do. They quickly envision a clattering engine belching out black smoke from the 1980s.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt
Canada
Rep

Really?? I think they would have great success in Canada or America, like I seen a brand new f series 640d it's got power, loooooots of torque like 500+ and it's economic! Everything you want basically.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Maybe everything an enthusiast wants but not a regular Joe or soccer mom.

Niche market.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
Maybe everything an enthusiast wants but not a regular Joe or soccer mom.

Niche market.
Your probably right, but I still think they would have a lot of success in North America!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briancanadiano View Post
So i live in canada, and recently went on vacation to Portugal. I own am e92 335i. So I'm driving around in my Renault Megan rental lol and I notice how every single BMW I see is 118d 320d 520d 740d and was just wondering how come these Motors don't come out in Canada or the states? Why only the 335d here?
The 320d coupe is nice and looks like its one economic car. Any input in this would be appreciated as I'm really curious as to why BMW only sells these in Europe. Thanks
I can't speak to why this is so in Canada, but I have some thoughts on why it's so for the US vs European markets. Some sources suggest that diesels may become more common in the US. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...cedes/2692729/)

Economic Reasons:
  1. Subsidies:
    • Many EU countries subsidize diesel fuel keeping the price artificially low, and lower than the price of gasoline.
    • The price of gas in the EU is roughly twice that found in the US.
  2. US legislators have chosen to offer better incentives for gas/electric hybrid purchases/usage than for diesel usage.
  3. Diesel cars hold their value longer and are generally more durable motors that gasoline motors.
  4. The accuracy of EPA fuel economy for diesels is accurate, while that for hybrids is overstated.
  5. Taxes/Fees - I don't recall how they are calculated, but I believe in some countries one effectively pays what you might call a surcharge to buy a car having a bigger motor or that is less "green."
  6. In the US, gas and diesel fuel are about the same price.
  7. Diesel cars cost more in general.
  8. A diesel could be made to run on vegetable oil. Likely not even that much of a factor, but I'm sure there are survivalists and green fanatics for whom it's a reason.
Cultural Reasons
  • Diesel got a bad reputation in the US years ago: loud, dirty, smelly.
  • Even now, many gas stations don't feature diesel gas and when they do, one may have to do so amidst a throng of 18-wheelers and their drivers. Many women don't want to be stuck "way over there with all those disgusting, horny truck drivers ogling them " standing next to their cars to fill up. (to quote my ex)
  • Diesels are slower. Americans are all about 0-60. I honestly believe that if someone made a $20K car that does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, but began dropping parts upon exceeding 100 mph, it would sell out in the US.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I can't speak to why this is so in Canada, but I have some thoughts on why it's so for the US vs European markets. Some sources suggest that diesels may become more common in the US. (http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...cedes/2692729/)

Economic Reasons:
  1. Subsidies:
    • Many EU countries subsidize diesel fuel keeping the price artificially low, and lower than the price of gasoline.
    • The price of gas in the EU is roughly twice that found in the US.
  2. US legislators have chosen to offer better incentives for gas/electric hybrid purchases/usage than for diesel usage.
  3. Diesel cars hold their value longer and are generally more durable motors that gasoline motors.
  4. The accuracy of EPA fuel economy for diesels is accurate, while that for hybrids is overstated.
  5. Taxes/Fees - I don't recall how they are calculated, but I believe in some countries one effectively pays what you might call a surcharge to buy a car having a bigger motor or that is less "green."
  6. In the US, gas and diesel fuel are about the same price.
  7. Diesel cars cost more in general.
  8. A diesel could be made to run on vegetable oil. Likely not even that much of a factor, but I'm sure there are survivalists and green fanatics for whom it's a reason.
Cultural Reasons
  • Diesel got a bad reputation in the US years ago: loud, dirty, smelly.
  • Even now, many gas stations don't feature diesel gas and when they do, one may have to do so amidst a throng of 18-wheelers and their drivers. Many women don't want to be stuck "way over there with all those disgusting, horny truck drivers ogling them " standing next to their cars to fill up. (to quote my ex)
  • Diesels are slower. Americans are all about 0-60. I honestly believe that if someone made a $20K car that does 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, but began dropping parts upon exceeding 100 mph, it would sell out in the US.
Thanks for this awesome explanation! Makes sense now!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

I think the bottom line comes down to this...we are just stupid here in NA and continue to buy high priced gas. In Portugal how many dodge durangos did you see? How many Chevy montana vans did you see? People in Europe want 2 things - Reliability and fuel economy. Thats why usually they have smaller vehicles, to get to point A to point B cheap.

I went over to Spain and drove the Opel Astra, when I got back I wanted to purchase one here and just my luck Saturn was coming out with the Astra under the Saturn name. I actually ended up purchasing the vehicle...only problem was 1) had the 1.8 l engine that was barley used in Europe, I drove the diesel version and the VXR version while i was there which both were totally different feels.

Anyhoo my car got T-boned and after it I went to the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

I had the thoughts when I was in Dublin, IRL a couple of months back. More diesel vehicles - of every make/model.. I am disappointed that they won't bring them over here, but as was mention, it is a niche market.

North Americans are brainwashed into thinking that gasoline powered engines are IT and that only fools would want a diesel.

I can guarantee you that my next SUV will be a diesel (VW's Touareg, or an X3/5d); my xdrive I plan on driving for many years to come (love awd) so unless I hit the jackpot, it's staying
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt
Canada
Rep

740d has 315 hp and close to 600 pounds of torque, and guess what the average consumption is, 7.5-8L per 100 km!!!!!! Americans and Canadians are crazy that's all I gotta say!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briancanadiano View Post
740d has 315 hp and close to 600 pounds of torque, and guess what the average consumption is, 7.5-8L per 100 km!!!!!! Americans and Canadians are crazy that's all I gotta say!
But are we? Or are we forced to buy what they are offering... Strangely, VW's TDI have no trouble selling, so why would diesel BWMs? I see no valid reason as to why they are not being sold here...

..and I bet there are a lot of BMW owners who would love a diesel but don't even know that they exist, let alone that they are readily available in Europe.
Appreciate 0