E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Snow Story Anyone?

06-13-2008, 01:37 PM   #23
TambourineMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi coupe

I grew up in Maine when everyone had rear wheel drive and no one had any real problems. Lately I have had all front wheel drive cars until i got my Outback last Fall. I think the biggest improvement with my 335xi will be from a standing start on an incline, such as my driveway. Occasionally I had problems getting out of my driveway with my FWD, but none with the Outback and hopefully none next winter with my BMW..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #24
Sam12345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: jet black 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i Coupe  [0.00]
i drove with Xi in a offroad competition. i hit 155 swerving threw trees.....
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #25
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Kev can attest to the need for xdrive up here in Madison.

they like to pretend to salt the roads yet its more sand than anything. They also like to wait a day to plow because the city is cheap as hell and doesn't want to pay for an extra round of plowing incase it snows again right away (which it usually does). Anyway, there are some big hills down near the capitol (Wisconsin ave going up to Langdon from Gorham for anyone who knows Madison). In my TSX with NICE all season 17's I had tried going up and fought it all the way up, I actually had to turn OFF the trac control to get up, spinning the front wheels the entire way. It took me a good 2.5 min to get up the hill which is about 500-700 feet in length. ANYWAY, got my xi in Dec right before xmas. Came back up to Madison and had a HUGE storm about a week later and going up the same hill... it was like i was going DOWN hill the xi was so smooth. I won't lie that I wish it was a bit lighter/quicker like the 328i but am reminded why i got the xi anytime it rains/snows... which happens all to often up here.

THANKS BMW!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 09:09 PM   #26
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
Kev can attest to the need for xdrive up here in Madison.

they like to pretend to salt the roads yet its more sand than anything. They also like to wait a day to plow because the city is cheap as hell and doesn't want to pay for an extra round of plowing incase it snows again right away (which it usually does). Anyway, there are some big hills down near the capitol (Wisconsin ave going up to Langdon from Gorham for anyone who knows Madison). In my TSX with NICE all season 17's I had tried going up and fought it all the way up, I actually had to turn OFF the trac control to get up, spinning the front wheels the entire way. It took me a good 2.5 min to get up the hill which is about 500-700 feet in length. ANYWAY, got my xi in Dec right before xmas. Came back up to Madison and had a HUGE storm about a week later and going up the same hill... it was like i was going DOWN hill the xi was so smooth. I won't lie that I wish it was a bit lighter/quicker like the 328i but am reminded why i got the xi anytime it rains/snows... which happens all to often up here.

THANKS BMW!!!
LOL~ I know exactly where you are referring to. Also the little uphill outside of the west side DMV parking lot (University Ave at Segoe Rd) had me stuck there with my C320 (RWD) for a couple times.
      06-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #27
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
LOL~ I know exactly where you are referring to. Also the little uphill outside of the west side DMV parking lot (University Ave at Segoe Rd) had me stuck there with my C320 (RWD) for a couple times.
oh yeah i know that one too
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 10:59 PM   #28
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
oh yeah i know that one too
I lived on Sheboygan Ave for 5 years and then moved to Yorktowne on Yellowstone for about 7 months, so I drove through there quite a bit.
      06-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #29
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

My xi has performed admirably now for 2 winters with dunlop m3's. The first major snow this past winter was probably 3 to 4 feet and our road is never plowed till late evening. I went out to get pizza (they wouldn't deliver!) and going round a corner just a few feet from our home an suv had been left on the curve stuck in the snow. Since I wasn't far from home I decided to go around him which meant going through a higher snow drift which was around the height of the hood. The car just plowed through it no problem at all. I actually enjoyed driving around that day since hardly anyone was out on the road (it was a sunday) and the xi just steamed through everything.

The other time I was coming home late after a big snow storm and there was a foot or so on our road which was unplowed. As I approached my driveway one of my neighbours had got his car stuck blocking someone else's driveway next to mine and was trying to dig it out. He just looked at me as I pulled up to him, and then reversed up my driveway and into my garage I did then grab my shovel and ice scraper and get his car dug out and he moved it to where it wasn't blocking anyones driveway and left it there.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #30
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

I woke up to this sort of thing about 10 different occasions last January and February.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #31
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

i don't really have any stories, but every weekend this winter I drove up to our VT house at killington (this was pre coilovers):

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #32
KEVIN88GT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Audi A4

Nikolas did you end up driving out (obviously after you dug our the path to the door and a little bit around the car)
'07 335xi
'06 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #33
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

Why would anyone leave their xi at home and drive a beater to work? Sure, other idiots on the road could plough into you but you can leave plenty of room for them. My best story (in two very snowy winters) was this February coming home from work in downtown Toronto. I left it late (9:00 pm) thinking the roads would have cleared but since the snow fell just before rush hour the main highway home (the Don Valley Parkway) was just solid with traffic going nowhere in at least 3 ft of snow. Just miserable. So I just used my nav system to find back streets (all completely unploughed) and got home that way. I drove entirely on side streets and no one else was on them.

A day later the freeway was still bad and covered with ice and snow but this was worst in the left lane so this lane was empty. I drove home in that lane and overtook every other car on the road (assuming 15 km in length, one car per 10 metres X, two lanes and me at a speed at least 2X theirs) that is *at least* 1500 cars. BMW should have run an aerial advert of the situation.

P.S. I also run on 17" Dunlop Wintersport DSSTs in the Winter (with 18" staggered Potenzas in the Summer). The combination of Winter tires and AWD is key if you have any decent snowfall. xi alone does little for stopping and Winter tires are so much better than All Seasons (plus Summers are better than All Seasons in the warm as well). I have driven two full Winters (Nov-Mar) on the Dunlops and they are good for at least one more if not two. Very little wear (but swap them out for Summers as soon as the cold is gone).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2008, 11:59 PM   #34
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN88GT View Post

Nikolas did you end up driving out (obviously after you dug our the path to the door and a little bit around the car)
Yes, the street was plowed. I just needed to snow blow the berm behind the car which was about 5 feet tall.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #35
Sherpa
Black Metal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

My 335xi was outfitted with Nokian RSI's on the second day of ownership, just before a nice snow storm in the twin cities. I live in downtown Minneapolis where the streets are only plowed well after the storm subsides. I completely turned off traction control almost every time I hopped in the car and there was snow/ice on the ground. I have found, especially after driving Quattro's for years that ESP or any sort of traction control can actually be dangerous in certain situations (sounds counter-intuitive, right?).

Anyway, this car definitely kicked the shit out of any Audi that I have ever owned.

Needless to say, I really beat the crap out of my xi this past winter.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #36
equ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Croc & toaster

I've had a mild winter with my xi. No deep snow moments, but I did get to play with it one evening. On a steep, empty slope, there was snow on ice. At this time, I had the turanza a/s. I got up to about halfway and stopped. I was curious if I could get going again. Just then, while about to put it in first, I noticed that the car was sliding backwards. Whether I put my foot on the brake or pulled the handbrake, it didn't matter. Engaged first, no go. Hit dtc, a little better but some annoying chatter. Wonderful gf held dtc down for me, turning it all off. Then I was able to gun it nicely out.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #37
Dshak
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi Space Grey

Slid into a telephone poll. Had to replace 3 panels and a window. $6,000. Not good.