E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Three-Stage Intake Manifold N52B25 - 323i

05-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #45
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
I am working on the euro intake. A tune is in order too. The emissions testing contract for our area might end in December so I guess I will wait until then to think about this mod. I take it headers are just as bad as cat delete in terms of emission testing. Is this correct?
primary cats removed, is the same thing as headers.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #46
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Figured as much. Forgive the newbness.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #47
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Figured as much. Forgive the newbness.
no prob
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #48
Ahmad11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i, cosmetic mods

Ok this is very tempting.
I have a 330i, I'm getting the performance exhaust installed soon. Now if I remove the primary cats.

Couple Q's:

How much more louder will it be with the PE?

The O2 sim, is there a DIY for the install?

With PE primary cat delete BMS PBX Charcoal delete KandN dropin...how much HP gain do you think I'll gain? Just an estimate?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #49
Ahmad11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i, cosmetic mods

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 07:06 AM   #50
panpon
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 325i

hey guys.. i have remove all cat on my car, and i now use my oem muffler to keep enough backpressure.. i'm not doing any dyno yet. but i already do some dragrace with my friends 255hp manual toyota altis. his car 0.5s faster than my 325i.

my 325i is 2.5l euro spec-> k&n cone filter+bms powerbox+ Stock 17 inch rims with rft tyre

my friends toyota altis 1.8 turbocharged with lightweight rims + semi slick tyre

now i am still looking for some aftermarket exhaust, because my car sounds very weird..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:30 AM   #51
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panpon View Post
hey guys.. i have remove all cat on my car, and i now use my oem muffler to keep enough backpressure.. i'm not doing any dyno yet. but i already do some dragrace with my friends 255hp manual toyota altis. his car 0.5s faster than my 325i.

my 325i is 2.5l euro spec-> k&n cone filter+bms powerbox+ Stock 17 inch rims with rft tyre

my friends toyota altis 1.8 turbocharged with lightweight rims + semi slick tyre

now i am still looking for some aftermarket exhaust, because my car sounds very weird..
Take a look at this exhaust if you are in Asia, http://www.laptorr.com/products08.html
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=473744&page=4
It is the best sounding exhaust for N52 engines.

The 325i is very heavy compared to the Toyota Altis, that is why it is faster by .5s. And with the aftermarket turbo, it will be faster. In North America the Altis is only 132 hp @ 6000 rpm; 128 lb.-ft. @ 4400 rpm. Not many people here would waste money to turbocharge it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:38 AM   #52
panpon
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep

wow, it's too expensive for my pocket
i am thinking to buy some used eiseman or bmw pe.
this september i'm going to the states and stay in san francisco for a week.
so anyone who want to sell their exhaust please contact me

and also after i put pbx and catless header in my car, i think my engine temperature is getting hotter, btw i use 95 octane gas, so i'm afraid it's gonna ruin my car. is it okay??

sorry for my bad english
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #53
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
wow, it's too expensive for my pocket
i am thinking to buy some used eiseman or bmw pe.
this september i'm going to the states and stay in san francisco for a week.
so anyone who want to sell their exhaust please contact me

and also after i put pbx and catless header in my car, i think my engine temperature is getting hotter, btw i use 95 octane gas, so i'm afraid it's gonna ruin my car. is it okay??

sorry for my bad english
I use 94 octane on my car, it is no problem.
If you may be worried, then you can try using exhaust wrap on the catless header. http://cgi.ebay.ca/DEI-Exhaust-Wrap-...#ht_2848wt_905
That way you can reduce the overall temperature around the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #54
panpon
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep

cool!! do you know how many roll do we need to wrap our header??
thanks dimsum for your feedback
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #55
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
cool!! do you know how many roll do we need to wrap our header??
thanks dimsum for your feedback
I don't remember how much we need, but 2 rolls should be good enough.
Just make sure when your done wrapping them you clamp them in tight and snug.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 05:39 AM   #56
panpon
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep

hey guys, i already get the bmw pe! i bought it from victorae, i fly to san francisco and wait the shipment from orange county, i pay 270 only for the exhaust (without midpipe). hopefully this weekend i can hear the real bmw pe sound with full catless piping
many thanks to victorae!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #57
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Dimsum,

went into a shop to have this done today. I was told it was 8-10 hour process -not buying that. They told me they can't cut and weld with manifold on. The process they said would be remove manifold cut and tac weld. Place it back for fitting, remove again and final weld and then install. I looked at it and it looked like there would be enough space to weld in place after removing the cats. Can you elaborate more on your process and the time it took?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #58
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Dimsum,

went into a shop to have this done today. I was told it was 8-10 hour process -not buying that. They told me they can't cut and weld with manifold on. The process they said would be remove manifold cut and tac weld. Place it back for fitting, remove again and final weld and then install. I looked at it and it looked like there would be enough space to weld in place after removing the cats. Can you elaborate more on your process and the time it took?
It's not a 8 hour process at all. If they know what they are doing, they can take off the manifold, cut the cats off and tac weld a new pipe in place.
You can cut it with it being on the manifold but that's just too trouble some if the tools won't fit there.

On the other hand, you can buy a used set of OEM headers on ebay, and cut them yourself and weld a new pipe in place. Then bring a shop to install them for you. But this requires more work, hence why people just buy headers to install.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #59
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
It's not a 8 hour process at all. If they know what they are doing, they can take off the manifold, cut the cats off and tac weld a new pipe in place.
You can cut it with it being on the manifold but that's just too trouble some if the tools won't fit there.

On the other hand, you can buy a used set of OEM headers on ebay, and cut them yourself and weld a new pipe in place. Then bring a shop to install them for you. But this requires more work, hence why people just buy headers to install.
I see what your saying. I was just initially going off of your post where you said that this could all be done with the manifold in place. I have seen used manifolds on Ebay. Around $400 or so. Plus labor for new pipe it is almost the same cost as headers.

I thought this would be a cheaper process if it could stay on and I read the thread about the race team that chose to delete cats over supersprint headers. I have no problem removing the cats myself with my friends or father and having someone weld up pipes. Should save a few bucks like that.

Question is, with the manifold off will the muffler shop be able to weld in pipes that keep the same overall length and replicate the angle of the pipe so that it bolts into the exhaust under the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 01:42 AM   #60
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I see what your saying. I was just initially going off of your post where you said that this could all be done with the manifold in place. I have seen used manifolds on Ebay. Around $400 or so. Plus labor for new pipe it is almost the same cost as headers.

I thought this would be a cheaper process if it could stay on and I read the thread about the race team that chose to delete cats over supersprint headers. I have no problem removing the cats myself with my friends or father and having someone weld up pipes. Should save a few bucks like that.

Question is, with the manifold off will the muffler shop be able to weld in pipes that keep the same overall length and replicate the angle of the pipe so that it bolts into the exhaust under the car?
Hence why I said it is easier for you to do it when the headers are still installed on the car. But of course with welding so close to the engine you will need to be careful. Getting under the car will allow for more room to work with. Just remember to remove the under panel.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #61
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

unless someone has experience with doing it like you suggest I don't think they will go that route. One shop just tried to charge me $3000 to do this. I felt like protesting outside of his store and starting an occupy so and so's muffler shop. I will probably go the header route.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #62
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

All installed less than $ 500.00 labour with the PE Intake as well! Big improvement i have noticed! My RPM just go up crazy fast now i noticed and there seems to be more push when i put the pedal down! Loving it so far!

Last edited by Hedges; 11-17-2011 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #63
onephattai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
no you cannot pass emissions with primary cat delete. Secondary yes.
A proper intake will also help your car.
what is the benefit of secondary cat delete?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #64
onephattai
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
All installed less than $ 500.00 labour with the PE Intake as well! Big improvement i have noticed! My RPM just go up crazy fast now i noticed and there seems to be more push when i put the pedal down! Loving it so far!

may I ask what exactly did you install?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #65
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

he changed out the intake manifold. As you see the old one only has one opening. The new one has two openings.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #66
Hedges
Major General
Rep
Drives: 12 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by onephattai View Post
may I ask what exactly did you install?
I put the picture in the wrong order,

I got pretty good price done but i had tires mounted + spacers + PE Intake install + Scoops + Intake Manifold for the cost i got so i got pretty good price at Speedstar if anyone ever does attempt to do this project you can try them out. They know what they are doing and had it done fairly quick too!

[IMG][/IMG]