E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iDrive wheel gives incorrect resistance?

01-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
stooxie
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

iDrive wheel gives incorrect resistance?

Hello everyone,

I've noticed that sometimes my iDrive wheel will resist, as if at the end of a scroll list, when I am NOT at the end of a scroll list. One example is in my phone book. The wheel starts to resist when I get to the bottom of the first screen of names (in a given letter), but when I "force" the wheel to turn it continues to scroll down to the rest of the entries.

I've also seen that happen scrolling through City and State names entering an address in the Nav system.

Is that a bug? It just doesn't feel right forcing the wheel like that, I'm sure it will wear something out eventually.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-Stooxie
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

warranty that
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
DJHakim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

No, it is not a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooxie View Post
Hello everyone,

I've noticed that sometimes my iDrive wheel will resist, as if at the end of a scroll list, when I am NOT at the end of a scroll list. One example is in my phone book. The wheel starts to resist when I get to the bottom of the first screen of names (in a given letter), but when I "force" the wheel to turn it continues to scroll down to the rest of the entries.

I've also seen that happen scrolling through City and State names entering an address in the Nav system.

Is that a bug? It just doesn't feel right forcing the wheel like that, I'm sure it will wear something out eventually.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-Stooxie
Intially, BMW intentionally had it resist to let you feel you were at the end of a page. Later on, they changed their mind and removed that feature in a software update over a year ago. You may be successful in getting a warrantied ("free") update for that complaint, but I'd come up with more issues to strenghten your case. Otherwise, the dealer may bring your software up-to-date at the next annual checkup.

Check out the Warranty forum. A full list of service bulletins (SIB) are posted and a dealer usually has to repair on warranty if you bring up an issue lsted in the SIBs. Shop for some.
E90 (2009 328xi): ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, Alarm, Shades, SG Metal [Ret]
E90 (2006 325xi): ZSP, ZCP, iDrive, BMW Assist, PDC, CA, Xenons, Shades, CrO3 Exhaust, TiAg Metal [Ret]
Appreciate 0