E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear Shock Mount Issue (the foam bushing)

09-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Rear Shock Mount Issue (the foam bushing)

Hello all,

I've had my coil-overs on for a couple months and about two weeks ago while driving on a very bumpy (construction area) highway I started to hear a banging noise like something was jumping up and down in the left rear.

I took it to Bimmerworks to get the brake fluid changed for Thunderbolt and to look at the noise. He said that the top part of the mount that is made of foam essentially disintegrated.
Has anyone ever seen this before? If so, what did you do? Did you replace it with the stock foam?

I was hoping to get something made of rubber because it was more durable.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Yup, happened to me. I think it happened to one other person in Canada as well. It might be one of those problems that might start coming up. There's no aftermarket replacement from what I found, so I purchased another stock part from the dealer, was about $20 I think.

It's like a foam/rubber shock mount bushing, and probably the one that is on the underside of the body (there's another bushing on the trunk-side). From what mine looked like, the bushing was getting mangled up because the nipple on the bushing that is supposed to sit in the hole where the shock's mounting point passes through got pushed out of the hole, and the body of the car was grinding it up.
      09-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Yup, happened to me. I think it happened to one other person in Canada as well. It might be one of those problems that might start coming up. There's no aftermarket replacement from what I found, so I purchased another stock part from the dealer, was about $20 I think.

It's like a foam/rubber shock mount bushing, and probably the one that is on the underside of the body (there's another bushing on the trunk-side). From what mine looked like, the bushing was getting mangled up because the nipple on the bushing that is supposed to sit in the hole where the shock's mounting point passes through got pushed out of the hole, and the body of the car was grinding it up.
THANK YOU!
Appreciate 0