E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 335i (N54) turbo warranty extended for wastegate issues to 8yrs/82k miles

07-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #353
RandyFL73
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, Swagger Wagon

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 328xiT  [0.00]
Does anyone know if the new turbos that are being installed on a "turbo replacement" are a new design? Did BMW make any design changes to the wastegate and/or actuators to correct the problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #354
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyFL73 View Post
Does anyone know if the new turbos that are being installed on a "turbo replacement" are a new design? Did BMW make any design changes to the wastegate and/or actuators to correct the problem?
The early models had 6 mm rods, which later they put in 8 mm which helped. I believe they had other improvements but not exactly sure what. If you have 6 mm rods they would have to replace the turbos to upgrade to 8 mm rods.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #355
RandyFL73
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 328xiT  [0.00]
Do you know the buid dates of the 6mm rods? Are there any performance advantages?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #356
nisseven
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
Have you tried a different dealer?

WG rattle was enough for the shop foreman to replace mine.

I just don't get why dealers turn people away, for crying out loud they get paid for it.
I was so excited when I came across this thread. Same issue on my '07 335. I'm on my way to pick up my car which the dealer here in San Antonio confirmed to have horrible waste gate rattle but will not service because no code is thrown. I have 76K miles and now afraid the code will arrive timely at 83K! So frustrated, embarrassing to drive. Is there a way to force the code?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #357
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy415 View Post
My service manager is doing all it can to avoid replacing my turbos for some reason. I brought my car in for its yearly oil change & to have a walnut blast done due to misfires, all covered under my CPO extended warranty. I told him that I have the famous wastegate rattle, it is so loud that his employee heard it as I was pulling in. As I'm telling the service manager about it, he tells me right off the bat that it they cannot replace it just because of the sound alone, but that he'll look into it.

So a week later after they completed my oil change & walnut blasting to my intake valves, the service manager tells me that BMW will not replace my turbos or wastegates due to sound alone, it has to completely fail or at least throw codes in order for them to replace it, which my car didn't do . What do I do now? my rattle is very apparent, I have looked through a few videos that people have posted in this forum & mine is louder than all of theirs. It is quite embarrassing actually to drive when I am giving it a little gas & let off, only to be followed by the loud rattle.
Why not try to find another dealership who might be more "friendly" towards your cause? It's worth while to ask more questions before you give money to them for inspecting. Ask them:

1) what is your policy on replacing the turbos?
2) How often/recently have you done this?
3) Is it a multi-visit approach or a single visit and everything is replaced event?
4) Does BMW NA usually make them go thru a lot of hoops to get the replacements done?

Once you find the dealership that gives you answers you like to hear... give them a shot.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #358
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisseven View Post
I was so excited when I came across this thread. Same issue on my '07 335. I'm on my way to pick up my car which the dealer here in San Antonio confirmed to have horrible waste gate rattle but will not service because no code is thrown. I have 76K miles and now afraid the code will arrive timely at 83K! So frustrated, embarrassing to drive. Is there a way to force the code?
Not sure, if it comes to a code, then most likely you'll be doing harm to turbos. That's why they only replaced my WGs. More like preventive maintenance. If my shop can do it so can others.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #359
nisseven
Rep

Quote:
Not sure, if it comes to a code, then most likely you'll be doing harm to turbos. That's why they only replaced my WGs. More like preventive maintenance. If my shop can do it so can others.
That's what I figured. The thought of new snails are nice but to be honest I would be super satisfied with replaced WG's. All I want is to get rid of that rattle. Not sure if I can escalate the issue with them or if I should try going to another city??
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #360
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisseven View Post
That's what I figured. The thought of new snails are nice but to be honest I would be super satisfied with replaced WG's. All I want is to get rid of that rattle. Not sure if I can escalate the issue with them or if I should try going to another city??
Try and reason with them. Are you modded? if nothing try another dealer.

2007 we only have the 6 mm rods, I think 2009 they went with 8 mm rods. they would have to replace the turbos to get 8 mm rods. Either way, getting replacement WGs will stop the rattle..... for a little while. the work will be good for 2 years at least, if done by a Certified Dealer.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #361
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Quote:

2007 we only have the 6 mm rods, I think 2009 they went with 8 mm rods. they would have to replace the turbos to get 8 mm rods. Either way, getting replacement WGs will stop the rattle..... for a little while. the work will be good for 2 years at least, if done by a Certified Dealer.

So, IS the wastegate is separate from the turbo?

I was under the impression that it's one piece, where if the WG goes, then the whole piece (including turbo) needs replacing. I've also read that people on here had a single turbo replaced, just the WG's, and many just get both turbos replaced.

Is the difference in dealer's being stingy, warranty issue, or something else?

I'm bringing my car in Monday (possibly for this), and just want to be prepared.
Thanks!
      07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #362
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post
So, IS the wastegate is separate from the turbo?

I was under the impression that it's one piece, where if the WG goes, then the whole piece (including turbo) needs replacing. I've also read that people on here had a single turbo replaced, just the WG's, and many just get both turbos replaced.

Is the difference in dealer's being stingy, warranty issue, or something else?

I'm bringing my car in Monday (possibly for this), and just want to be prepared.
Thanks!
well according to my dealer, they were able to replace just wastegates.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #363
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Has anyone had the WG/Turbo replaced at JMK in NJ? I would like to get an idea of the process/experience you had.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #364
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Has anyone had the WG/Turbo replaced at JMK in NJ? I would like to get an idea of the process/experience you had.
may want to start a new thread in the local forum.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #365
RandyFL73
Private
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2007 328xiT  [0.00]
Quote:

I was just curious about the size of the rods. My turbos were replaced by BMW last week. The car is quiet now an pulls harder than before.

I had the classic waste gate rattle along with the low boost code (30ff). They replaced the turbos with no questions asked. I am at 71,267...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #366
vanondemand
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M/T

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I have an American 335i originally purchased from Oregon, then had the car imported/registered in Canada. Does this warranty still apply to my ex-US car?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #367
narman
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.00]
Under the used certified program mine was already covered for 100,000 miles but the extra 2 years to it is an added plus.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #368
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanondemand View Post
I have an American 335i originally purchased from Oregon, then had the car imported/registered in Canada. Does this warranty still apply to my ex-US car?
as it pertains to the Turbo warranty, not sure. I would read the fine print.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #369
thefwam
Rep
Drives: Mk6 GTI

That's good news...looking into picking up a 335i soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #370
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT, 2016 F10 535

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
It doesn't matter where you bought it or if its CPO. If its within the 7 years and 82,000 miles then you can take it to a dealership for new turbos if the wastegates rattle... Under warranty. I got mine replaced for free after the warranty had expired. The car was at about 76k miles. I spent a weekend putting the stock downpipes and I take back on and it was a breeze after that. Now I have to put my pipes back on... Which takes a tole on the body (my back).
Yep I'm aware of the 8yr/82k warranty. Did your car throw any codes for the dealer to replace them or did they replaced it from just hearing the rattle? Because right now my rattle is very apparent but the service manager keeps telling me BMW will not give them the nod to replace them unless it is throwing codes or the turbos completely fail on me, they say they will not replace it based on just sound alone. I have a feeling this service manager is just trying to ram me from behind
Sorry for the delay in responding, sleepy. I was actually told the same thing at the first local dealership I went to. They said it would need to be showing a related fault code in addition to the wastegate rattle in order for them to replace the turbos under warranty. I went to a different dealer and they said they would just perform an inspection of the turbos and wastegates and a "drill bit" test. The tests were in accordance with BMW NA procedures and they replaced the turbos free of charge. I recommend getting a second or third opinion from different dealerships.
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, MS 3" downpipes, Koni Yellow adjustable sport shocks, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0 LED halo ring lights, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #371
nisseven
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
It doesn't matter where you bought it or if its CPO. If its within the 7 years and 82,000 miles then you can take it to a dealership for new turbos if the wastegates rattle... Under warranty. I got mine replaced for free after the warranty had expired. The car was at about 76k miles. I spent a weekend putting the stock downpipes and I take back on and it was a breeze after that. Now I have to put my pipes back on... Which takes a tole on the body (my back).
Yep I'm aware of the 8yr/82k warranty. Did your car throw any codes for the dealer to replace them or did they replaced it from just hearing the rattle? Because right now my rattle is very apparent but the service manager keeps telling me BMW will not give them the nod to replace them unless it is throwing codes or the turbos completely fail on me, they say they will not replace it based on just sound alone. I have a feeling this service manager is just trying to ram me from behind
Sorry for the delay in responding, sleepy. I was actually told the same thing at the first local dealership I went to. They said it would need to be showing a related fault code in addition to the wastegate rattle in order for them to replace the turbos under warranty. I went to a different dealer and they said they would just perform an inspection of the turbos and wastegates and a "drill bit" test. The tests were in accordance with BMW NA procedures and they replaced the turbos free of charge. I recommend getting a second or third opinion from different dealerships.
My experience exactly! Happy to report that my turbos and waste gates are currently being replaced!!! Originally went to BMW San Antonio who told me they would not replace because no code thrown and there is nothing that could be done. Drove to BMW Austin and explained my my situation including my experience with the San Antonio dealership. They took a look at the car and are now in the process of repairing under the warranty. Plus their service was way better. So yes, that second or even third opinion may very well pay off!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #372
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Are you all getting rattle past the first minute of startup? For me, the rattle is noticeably louder during the 1st minute of startup. After that, the wastegates open and I have to rev to ~4-5k in order to hear the rattle which is not as prominent.

Also, has anyone been told that the noise is normal or has it mostly been if you don't throw a code, they can't do anything?

I'll be taking my car in this Friday for the battery cable recall and plan on asking them to check out the turbos.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #373
V-Viper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Just to report guys went in to have the battery cable recall done and also told them about the wastegate rattle. Picking up the car today with new turbos covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #374
glachhman
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

I went in for battery recall and my dealer volunteered to replace both turbos.
Appreciate 0