E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Schroth Rallye 3 ASM installation pics - e92

02-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Schroth Rallye 3 ASM installation pics - e92

Sorry I didn't post this up much sooner. I've had these over a year now and finally got around to taking pics. I decided on Rallye 3s over the 4 because I like the geometry of the rear belt as it goes almost straight back from the top of the front seats. I'd say it goes down from horizontal about 15 to 20 degrees. Even though it's one attachment point vs 2 for the Rallye 4s, it is very burly. There is a single bolt behind the rear seat (see the pic below with my hand in it, and BTW I have an e92) and this bolt goes into directly into the frame and is approximately 5cm long and the threaded section is close to 15mm in diameter. It helps support a brace for the rear, top OEM seat belt mounting point. I had a long time mechanic look at it at a BMW racing school and he unofficially approved it. He said it looked like an ideal attachment point for a harness. It's still winter and I have my dog covers over the seats (and attached to the back of the front seats). I take them off for the track obviously. I just wanted to post these photos up ASAP because I finally got a good camera. Anyways, you can see it tidys up very well for DD use, as I use the OEM belts for that.
Attached Images

02-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Oh yea, my thoughts on it's use: I think I would almost rather go on a picnic instead of driving my car on the track without them. Almost. They provide a very good fit and I don't have any trouble keeping the belt low. The best part is that I no longer have to wear dorky volley ball knee pads when I drive.

Link here:
http://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/rallye/rallye-3

Last edited by IN54NITY; 02-17-2013 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

Do you have a hans device? My understanding was that it is more unsafe (read, more likely to suffer serious injury) with a harness and no hans vs a 3 point seatbelt. For me, the cost of the hans device and new helmet are holding me back.
      02-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Evochuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraRacer13 View Post
Do you have a hans device? My understanding was that it is more unsafe (read, more likely to suffer serious injury) with a harness and no hans vs a 3 point seatbelt. For me, the cost of the hans device and new helmet are holding me back.
Not as dangerous as using a harness w/o a cage or roll bar. If ever your car rolls, with typical seat belts you can bend down when the roof collapses, with a harness, the only thing left will be a bloody unrecognizable mess.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
No, this harness is not compatible with a HANS, unfortunately. Your concern is valid. I'm counting on the air bag to mitigate that. I have a neck roll too, but neither are any HANS substitute.
      02-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evochuck View Post
Not as dangerous as using a harness w/o a cage or roll bar. If ever your car rolls, with typical seat belts you can bend down when the roof collapses, with a harness, the only thing left will be a bloody unrecognizable mess.
Thanks for posting your opinion. I don't have meteorite protection either.
      02-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evochuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
Thanks for posting your opinion. I don't have meteorite protection either.
They are both right unfortunately! Harness/Hans/Cage combined is a complete safety system. You cannot skip one. I use a CG-Lock for now with the 3-point belt.
      02-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
They are both right unfortunately! Harness/Hans/Cage combined is a complete safety system. You cannot skip one. I use a CG-Lock for now with the 3-point belt.
Yes, but it's not going to stop me from using a harness. Evochuck's scenario, argued ad nauseum on other threads/boards is just not likely and frankly I think it's absurd. I'll take my chances with the BMW structural MEs that designed and tested the roof. Having a harness makes me safer because it reduces my chances of screwing up in the first place. My risk probability goes down but cataustrophic risk goes up, that is what I choose. CG locks suck.

Last edited by IN54NITY; 02-27-2013 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
Yes, but it's not going to stop me from using a harness. Evochuck's scenario, argued ad nauseum on other threads/boards is just not likely and frankly I think it's absurd. I'll take my chances with the BMW structural MEs that designed and tested the roof. Having a harness makes me safer because it reduces my chances of screwing up in the first place. My risk probability goes down but cataustrophic risk goes up, that is what I choose. CG locks suck.
No problem, you can do what you choose

We are not the harness police you know. With an open mind, you must understand that your post may be followed by unsuspecting other parties.
      02-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Ok, a harness should best be combined with a cage, but that rollover argument is pointless, to say the least. If the car were indeed to roll over, you wouldn't be able to control any movement of your body, given the forces at work in such a situation.

Even Pro drivers sometimes "forget" to take the hands of the wheel in case of a crash to prevent bones from cracking. And that's pretty much all you can actively do.

A harness will rather keep you from getting ejected out of the car which is the worst thing that could happen. I work at an insurance company and have seen pics of a driver ejected and getting rolled over by his own car. Not funny...
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Not to mention I have never once heard of anyone "ducking" to avoid the roof collapse nor of anyone being killed when they were unable to do so. This is pure urban legend until I see some proof.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Ok, a harness should best be combined with a cage, but that rollover argument is pointless, to say the least. If the car were indeed to roll over, you wouldn't be able to control any movement of your body, given the forces at work in such a situation.

Even Pro drivers sometimes "forget" to take the hands of the wheel in case of a crash to prevent bones from cracking. And that's pretty much all you can actively do.

A harness will rather keep you from getting ejected out of the car which is the worst thing that could happen. I work at an insurance company and have seen pics of a driver ejected and getting rolled over by his own car. Not funny...
I agree with the bolded part! Would you believe this happened to a bus which was not going fast, a car t-boned a bus which tipped over on its side and killed the driver who went over the driver window. Who would have thought?
      03-01-2013, 01:28 AM   #13
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Nice harness. Did you consider the Schroth quickfit harness? I have it in my MINI and it makes installing and storing the harness night and day difference

Appreciate 0