E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 3.23 --> 3.73 manual to automatic differential swap for 328i info, DIY, impressions

02-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #67
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Rick,

There’s some explaining to do. Check this out and look at the rpms:

[img]https://s14.postimg.org/twzpoxk9d/2_...08_DA6_DFB.jpg[/img]

Your video on top mine on the bottom. Same speed 80mph something up with the gearing in that slow car. Maybe it’s an automatic? Whether it is or not the comparison isn’t apples to apples for sure.
10/10 looks like an auto (in video anyway)
who knows...
      02-14-2018, 07:14 AM   #68
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I dunno, G...
I have a euro box/afe dry, REV Boot, headers & full custom exhaust, Alpha N from BPC ... I run through 1st gear (to 40 & the "new" redline that Bob made happen while on the dyno) in what seemed like 4 ish maybe more seconds. With my 3.15 final drive... I dont totally doubt that big is achieving that time. (MILVs install hopefully next week...) I definitely need to hop on the highway tonight/tmrw morning with my stopwatch on my phone. And I can give an accurate number for me... Like everyone else, Im sure, 1st gear is gone as quickly as it came (on a MT anyways, never driven the AT version).
You can use any of a few apps to get times for comparison. Here’s a couple runs on mine using the “pro race” ap. Like I said before I can’t speak to the accuracy of the ap but I do know it’s consistent. Like if the ap shows I’m down .5 seconds average over 3-4 runs I know a mod did something. Here’s 2 runs I logged, one left is after diff swap, intake mods, and 3IM with BPC tune. The other on the right adds MILV’s, headers, and updated BPC tuning for those mods. Both runs taken on similar days approx 65 degrees. I’m all about data and tracking changes. If a mod has no dyno shown I’ll never consider it, lol

The quarter mile times shown below are suspect to me. I need to get to the drag strip and get a real time slip. My buddy used the same ap while he ran the strip in his FBO RS5. He said over the quarter mile compared with time slips it was like .3 seconds off.

Last edited by Biginboca; 02-14-2018 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      02-14-2018, 07:28 AM   #69
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I dunno, G...
I have a euro box/afe dry, REV Boot, headers & full custom exhaust, Alpha N from BPC ... I run through 1st gear (to 40 & the "new" redline that Bob made happen while on the dyno) in what seemed like 4 ish maybe more seconds. With my 3.15 final drive... I dont totally doubt that big is achieving that time. (MILVs install hopefully next week...) I definitely need to hop on the highway tonight/tmrw morning with my stopwatch on my phone. And I can give an accurate number for me... Like everyone else, Im sure, 1st gear is gone as quickly as it came (on a MT anyways, never driven the AT version).
You can use any of a few apps to get times for comparison. Here’s a couple runs on mine using the “pro race” ap. Like I said before I can’t speak to the accuracy of the ap but I do know it’s consistent. Like if the ap shows I’m down .5 seconds average over 3-4 runs I know a mod did something. Here’s 2 runs I logged, one left is after diff swap, intake mods, and 3IM with BPC tune. The other on the right adds MILV’s, headers, and updated BPC tuning for those mods. Both runs taken on similar days approx 65 degrees. I’m all about data and tracking changes. If a mod has no dyno shown I’ll never consider it, lol

The quarter mile times shown below are suspect to me. I need to get to the drag strip and get a real time slip. My buddy used the same ap while he ran the strip in his FBO RS5. He said over the quarter mile compared with time slips it was like .3 seconds off.

wish I could go that fast here!
anyways, thanks for the heads up, will give it a look
      02-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #70
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

Lets see. I hope I m proved wrong . This will mean FBO 328 is on par with 335 numbers and no need for a supercharger
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 10:50 AM   #71
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Ok I had an appt cancel so was able to run home at lunchtime and do a run. I drove the car around for 10 mins to warm it up, filmed one run, and I’m on my way back to work. Not my best run I forgot to turn off the AC and my shifting and launch could be better. But like I said I’d film one run to post and it is what it is.

I can try filming a better one but this should give the idea. This is with all the faults, easily visible in video, still like a 5.5 to 5.8 run I would say. I have definitely had better ones. I know you don’t believe that Rick, lol

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 10:56 AM   #72
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok I had an appt cancel so was able to run home at lunchtime and do a run. I drove the car around for 10 mins to warm it up, filmed one run, and I’m on my way back to work. Not my best run I forgot to turn off the AC and my shifting and launch could be better. But like I said I’d film one run to post and it is what it is.

I can try filming a better one but this should give the idea. This is with all the faults, easily visible in video, still like a 5.5 to 5.8 run I would say. I have definitely had better ones. I know you don’t believe that Rick, lol

never pull out-
She's quick!
Biginboca3763.50
      02-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #73
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Why exactly do we care so much about a 0-60 time, anyway? As mentioned earlier in this thread the mod is for the extra *torque*, not to improve some arbitrary measure of performance for high schoolers to drool over. (Oh, and if you look through my post history, you'll notice I have the 3.64 diff from an automatic 330i installed in my car... just to drive the point home that I can't make 60mph in 2nd gear either.)

FWIW I think a 328i with the aforementioned mods is not slow. No comment on the 0-60 time because, quite simply, that is more reliant on the road conditions, your tires, and your practice launching manual transmission RWD cars with the correct amount of wheelspin than your specific performance mods.

Why so fixated on this matter Rick? I'm not trying to patronize you, but it sounds like you're just having a bad day/week dude.
      02-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #74
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

5.8 - 6 .0 seconds is what I got ,which is what I was expecting from the start before some of you jump around like I was crazy . I m sure you can shave something from there which is exactly what I told you from the beginning 5.5 with a perfect launch , etc ,etc ,etc, still have not seen anyone getting that low . This is what I have seen mostly on youtube from 330s .

I honestly still do not see a 5.2 even FBO.

Anyways , at least you posted a video , thanks !
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #75
rick100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
Why exactly do we care so much about a 0-60 time, anyway? As mentioned earlier in this thread the mod is for the extra *torque*, not to improve some arbitrary measure of performance for high schoolers to drool over. (Oh, and if you look through my post history, you'll notice I have the 3.64 diff from an automatic 330i installed in my car... just to drive the point home that I can't make 60mph in 2nd gear either.)

FWIW I think a 328i with the aforementioned mods is not slow. No comment on the 0-60 time because, quite simply, that is more reliant on the road conditions, your tires, and your practice launching manual transmission RWD cars with the correct amount of wheelspin than your specific performance mods.

Why so fixated on this matter Rick? I'm not trying to patronize you, but it sounds like you're just having a bad day/week dude.
not really , I never insulted anyone , all I said was that with shorter gear you ll need a third gear to get to 60 . I also said that 0-60 in 5.2 would be pretty hard without force induction , dont see the big deal about that

So if someone makes a comment about 0 to 60 he is having a bad week lol

come on man get real now.

why do we care about 0-60 , well I could care less like I said before, , which I bet you did not even read. But 0-60 is usually a good measure of what the mods are doing in your car and to compare against other cars, that is about it. We can talk about 1/4 mile but it would be harder to compare because you would actually need to take it to the drag. Why do we care, well , I m sure people are not modding their car to go slower right?, this is a modding thread of someone running FBO , so I was just curious to see what the difference was, nothing wrong with that...

dont take everything so personal my friend , to me it looks like you are the one getting mad about someone talking about 0-60 ... No worries , there are not 335 guys here to talk down on the n52.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #76
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Rick,

There’s some explaining to do. Check this out and look at the rpms:

Your video on top mine on the bottom. Same speed 80mph something up with the gearing in that slow car. Maybe it’s an automatic? Whether it is or not the comparison isn’t apples to apples for sure.
Top vid is mine from Youtube. 6MT 128i on stock wheels and stock tire size, just with the 3.73, if we wanna get SUUPER precise.

I should make a new one now that I have the 3 stage intake.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      02-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #77
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:

You said FBO. What do you mean by it? What mods?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #78
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
practice launching
I went out for lunch and did the thang... No launch... I dunno, I'm not necessarily scared to launch the car... just meh...
FWIW, It was roughly 6 seconds with an awkward start...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #79
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
5.8 - 6 .0 seconds is what I got ,which is what I was expecting from the start before some of you jump around like I was crazy . I m sure you can shave something from there which is exactly what I told you from the beginning 5.5 with a perfect launch , etc ,etc ,etc, still have not seen anyone getting that low . This is what I have seen mostly on youtube from 330s .

I honestly still do not see a 5.2 even FBO.

Anyways , at least you posted a video , thanks !
I’ll try to film a better one, no AC and with a decent launch and shifts. That run I felt like I shifted early both shifts and the first-2nd shift wasn’t quick it didn’t even chirp the tires. It’s got more in it for sure! Like I said my best ever was 5.2 and I’ve had several 5.4 times with my Ap.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #80
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
You said FBO. What do you mean by it? What mods?
It’s posted 1 page back in this thread. Pretty much all the mods you can do except I still have full factory exhaust including secondary cats from the AA headers back.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #81
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
It’s posted 1 page back in this thread. Pretty much all the mods you can do except I still have full factory exhaust including secondary cats from the AA headers back.
got them:
Quote:
FYI here’s my mods:

AFE Ram Scoops
K&N Drop In
Charcoal Delete
Rev Motoring Silicone
3 stage intake
MIlVs
BPC Tune
AA Headers
3.73 Differential
275/35 Rear Tires on 23lb wheels (not super light but lighter than stock so worth mentioning)
Your set up is the same as mine except for diff and maybe your tires?

Your car seems quick, but you could improve your 0-60 times by increasing your rev limiter. It seems you have to shift just around 6800 just around 60mph. By removing that extra shift point, you can reach 60 faster. You can ask Bob to raise your limiter to 7500, that way you can shift at 7k and still not hit the limiter.

Also, without removing mids and doing full exhaust, I wouldn't consider your car (or mine) being FBO. It's almost FBO. exhaust would free up few more hp especially at higher rpm.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3763.50
      02-14-2018, 09:23 PM   #82
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
got them:

Your car seems quick, but you could improve your 0-60 times by increasing your rev limiter. It seems you have to shift just around 6800 just around 60mph. By removing that extra shift point, you can reach 60 faster. You can ask Bob to raise your limiter to 7500, that way you can shift at 7k and still not hit the limiter.

Also, without removing mids and doing full exhaust, I wouldn't consider your car (or mine) being FBO. It's almost FBO. exhaust would free up few more hp especially at higher rpm.
That’s a great point about the rev limiter. I’ve been back and forth with Bob for 3 or 4 tunes. I’m supposed to have the increased redline but I did notice today it’s not acting like I do. I’m wondering if I lost that feature during some of the tune revisions. I’ll reach out to him because you are right the limiter seems too low, like lower than what it was with my early tunes.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #83
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
got them:

That’s a great point about the rev limiter. I’ve been back and forth with Bob for 3 or 4 tunes. I’m supposed to have the increased redline but I did notice today it’s not acting like I do. I’m wondering if I lost that feature during some of the tune revisions. I’ll reach out to him because you are right the limiter seems too low, like lower than what it was with my early tunes.
yeah... I need to take a gander at mine since I just flipped to the Alpha N... I might just be missing the peak when Im not looking..
      02-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #84
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

I tried a couple more runs yesterday after work. Im noticing on first gear my revs get cut around 6800 so I need to shift a little early leaving first. Then in second gear I see I’m getting a rev limiter above 7000 though:

I’m getting like 5.5-5.7 on these runs. I couldn’t get a run where it all comes together. One the launch sucks and my shift to second is perfect and chirps the tires. The other the launch is great and the shift sucked. I also think to get the ideal 0-60 I need to ride 2nd until it hits the limiter, I’m shifting just below 60.

I’m not going to work on it any more because I don’t want to keep abusing my clutch... But these should give an idea of what a N/A N52 can do!

(When I got my 5.2 it was maybe 18 degrees cooler and everything came together. I have gotten 5.4 several times also. These were all using the pro race ap. In all fairness yesterday was the first time I’ve ever filmed while driving and I’m finding it a lot more challenging to watch the road, tach, and phone I’m holding screen to make sure it’s framed right.)
Appreciate 1
rick100551.00
      02-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #85
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
All this fraction of a second talk.. I feel like I'm watching the Olympics.

Quote:
Oh man why no exhaust?? You're probably leaving 10 whp on the table there!
      02-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #86
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
Have you guys ever heard of RaceLogic? They make legitimate tools for exactly this purpose, and they've been proven to be accurate. Kinda pricey but maybe you know someone who has one? They're pretty popular and a lot of guys with more expensive cars (and deeper pockets than I have) rock 'em. It's on my wishlist... one day... lol
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #87
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
Have you guys ever heard of RaceLogic? They make legitimate tools for exactly this purpose, and they've been proven to be accurate. Kinda pricey but maybe you know someone who has one? They're pretty popular and a lot of guys with more expensive cars (and deeper pockets than I have) rock 'em. It's on my wishlist... one day... lol
I haven’t heard of that one, but I know VBox is popular (and pricey). ECS was promoting a new GPS timer around Christmas that was like $150 I think and it paired with a phone. I almost bought one but figured out a few free (to me) method of tracking changes from mods like 60-80 pulls, the free and cheap phone apps, etc
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #88
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosphericM View Post
All this fraction of a second talk.. I feel like I'm watching the Olympics.

Oh man why no exhaust?? You're probably leaving 10 whp on the table there!
No exhaust cause I like having a sleeper. My car sounds stock and I’ve surprised quite a few people lol
Appreciate 0