E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Wavetrac LSD Final Drive Review

09-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Wavetrac LSD Final Drive Review

Wavetrac Final Drive 3.46 LSD
MSRP: $3,595 (HP Autowerks)

I would like to first off thank HP Autowerks (they do all my work, haha ) for the super smooth install and friendly service during the whole process! I know many people have gotten their LSDs from Harold and it is definetely the route to go!

This will be my second review of an item this week (just posted a review on the Stoptech Trophy Sport BBK) and hopefully I am getting the hang of it.

For those of you who do not know what an Limited Slip differential (LSD) is...
http://wikicars.org/en/Limited_slip_differential

I was the owner of an e46 M3 a little over a year ago and the main difference between my e90 and my e46 was the way they handled. A large part can be attributed to suspension components, but there is no doubt in my mind that my open differential in the e90 was the reason for the sloshy corner exiting and constant wheel spin in a straight line. The e90 335i already has great straight line acceleration which is very comprable to the e46 M3. As far as cornering, there was no competition between the M3 and the e90. As all of you know, the M cars are the only BMWs equiped with an LSD. After considering long and hard, I knew that I would have to purchase an aftermarket LSD if I wanted to get anywhere back to the handling characteristics of my M3.

For those who don't know, Wavetrac is a relatively new competitor to the market that has been mainly dominated by Qaife for the last couple decades. Wavetrac was started by a group who dealt with, and sold, Qaife final drive units. They use almost the same design with a couple different nuts and bolts (not literally, more features is what I am trying to get at). Wavetrac is faily new and has been doing a great job thus far. I have only heard of one story of a clunking noise in the differential, but that is one out of many satisfied users.

When driving very unaggressivly around Santa Barbara, I am not able to tell the difference between the open dif and my LSD. There might be an occasional quick shift when I feel the power surge to both rear wheels, but other than that, it really has no effect. The difference comes during aggressive straight acceleration and even mildly taken corners.

Of the two, I really feel the difference during straight line acceleration. Before my LSD, I would appropriately switch off my DSC all the way, feather the throttle, wait for grip, and then "pop" the clutch. However, that grip I was looking for would never be applied. Unless there were perfect conditions, the wheels would just not bite together. With the LSD, there is minimal tire spin (with the correct tires). The wheels lock up very nicely and the lock up is very predictable, which I love. First to second is another selling point. I really missed chirping my gears when I went through the gears in my e46. The shifting wasn't the same in the e90: it was very smooth, but the power would seemingly cut off, even though all driving assistants were off.

The other characteristic that completely changed with the LSD was the feel during cornering. I was not able to take my car to a track before I received my LSD, but I was able to take it on some backroads here in Santa Barbara.
Even if you aren't throwing your car around the track, you will definetely enjoy the constant spinning of the rear wheels to have that perfect control around a corner. Power is delivered smoothly, and even surged, as compared to the open differential. I would feel a severe lacking of power to the outside wheels during cornering with the open differential. Now, with the LSD, I feel more power delivered to the outside wheel giving me more control. I used to feel insecure when the back end would kick out, but with the LSD, that wiggling is very PREDICTABLE.

As I said in my previous review, I have not hit a track yet, but will be very soon. During the Camarillo AutoX, I really noticed the positive feedback that the LSD would give me around sharp corners and constant braking and accelerating. With racing tires, the LSD is a dominant force. I believe my good lap times were partially due to my LSD and it's ability to exit tight corners with full power to each wheel.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Wavetrac Limited Slip Differential is the best modification I have done to my car. The Stoptechs are a close second, but the LSD really transformed my car into a different animal. I test drove an e90 M3before I instally my Wavetrac. I was craving that cornering stickyness and straightline grip. After installing the LSD, that potential was unlocked and the car now behaves line an M. Not saying it is, but it feels very similar.

If you are thinking of the first modification to do to your car without voiding warranty or screwing with the ecu or anything else, a limited slip differential is the best bang for your buck hands down. If any of you are passing by Santa Barbara, I would be more than happy to show you the difference an LSD makes.

Thanks for reading the review and I hope it helps some of you make the right decision in getting a limited slip. If you have any questions at all, go ahead and give Harold at HP Autowerks a call!

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

So no noises AT ALL eh?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
So no noises AT ALL eh?
Not with mine. Runs smooth

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

I think I'm actually onto something here..this is a different gear ratio than 6MTs so it's a little bit different AND autos have a torque converter which muffles A LOT of the tranny noise..every single 6MT LSD either Quaife or Wavetrac has a slight thump "sometimes" when shifting gears...on 6ATs this most likely is absorbed by the torque converter and never heard...

Congrats on your LSD, you'll love it
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Thanks for write up & sharing your experience

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus View Post
Thanks for write up & sharing your experience
From your mod list all you need is an LSD and you will have the fastest vert on the track too!!! Do et Belarus!

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflowt5 View Post
From your mod list all you need is an LSD and you will have the fastest vert on the track too!!! Do et Belarus!
I was actually going to pull the trigger on it in May but Wavetrac was still in the building/testing stage for 335i A/T built after 9/2007 with bolted differential. Plus I don't know of a good recommended shop in Toronto that has experience with installing Wavetrack in 335... So far now I've postponed it until next year late spring.

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 01:47 AM   #8
Icecreamfoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Boosted

nice write up, Mflowt5. being an ex E46M owner myself, I can completely relate to your comments/observations. i'm reminded everyday of the lack of LSD on 335; really miss how much easier and predictable the rear end rotates around corners on the old M.

I'm assuming HP did the swap on your ring gears? Do they guarantee the work, say if there were noises they'll re-do it? Had a friend who's experienced whines with his motorsport 4.10 gears on the E46, and the shop did end up reinstalling the gears for him. my Dinan 3.91 gears had a lil bit of whine as well, but I chose to live with it. Just wondering if such guarantee is included in your purchase
      10-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #9
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

nice write up man.

+1 on HP Auto, I got my Quaife LSD from them, and I love it!!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
turb0mik3
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamfoo View Post
nice write up, Mflowt5. being an ex E46M owner myself, I can completely relate to your comments/observations. i'm reminded everyday of the lack of LSD on 335; really miss how much easier and predictable the rear end rotates around corners on the old M.

I'm assuming HP did the swap on your ring gears? Do they guarantee the work, say if there were noises they'll re-do it? Had a friend who's experienced whines with his motorsport 4.10 gears on the E46, and the shop did end up reinstalling the gears for him. my Dinan 3.91 gears had a lil bit of whine as well, but I chose to live with it. Just wondering if such guarantee is included in your purchase
I actually purchased the 3.46 so it was ready to just pop into the driveshaft, unless they did some work before hand when I wasn't around. And yes, they guarantee their work. Harold told me a story of a constant clunking noise in one of the wavetrac units and he went all the way to LA for a day to figure out what the problem was. They back up everything they sell, which is really nice. I mean there is going to be a little bit of a clunk if you have a shitty shift, but other than that it is really really smooth.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Nice write up.

I got my Quaife from Harold way before the Wavetrac came out, but still have no regrets. Anything is better than an open diff and my Quaife is so smooth in the transitions that I wonder why nobody thinks to install an LSD as the very first mod to their 335s.

I don't track my vehicle, but I appreciate the predictability and safety features of having a real diff, not an open diff, especially in bad weather.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0