E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilovers with or wtihout adjustable dampening?

11-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
jahmed78
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

Coilovers with or wtihout adjustable dampening?

I'm looking to get coilovers for my e90 and my budget is up to $1500 new and up to $1000 used. I've looked at H&R, KW, and FK Street lines. KW and FK have versions for a little bit more than the base versions which offer dampening adjustment as well as height, whereas the base versions are height only. The super premium coilovers (KW 3) are out of my price range.

Question is: how important is dampening adjustment? Is it worth the money? This is my daily driver and will be sitting on 19" Linea Corse LC818s. Not planning on taking the cat to the track. I'm hoping to keep close to the same ride quality as my current sport suspension...maybe a little stiffer in the turns.

19" BMW M-Performance wheels, ST coilovers, m3 rep front bumper and skirts, CF Hamann rep diffuser, Remus Race quad exhaust, aFe DCI, LED angel eyes & DRL kit,
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
jahmed78
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bump!

19" BMW M-Performance wheels, ST coilovers, m3 rep front bumper and skirts, CF Hamann rep diffuser, Remus Race quad exhaust, aFe DCI, LED angel eyes & DRL kit,
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

if you aren't tracking the car, you won't have any need for damping adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
if you aren't tracking the car, you won't have any need for damping adjustment.
In that same line of thought, if you aren't tracking the car, you won't have any need for coil-overs either. Just get lowering springs.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I track my car and have adjustable dampers. I've never touched the settings ever, but that being said they were custom valved and set by Dinan. You'll only really need to adjust them if you compete on multiple tracks and are chasing tenths.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
jahmed78
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
In that same line of thought, if you aren't tracking the car, you won't have any need for coil-overs either. Just get lowering springs.
im considering coil overs because i like the fact that i can fine tune ride height and i have been told the ride on lowering springs with shocks degrades over time. i welcome any insight into this...

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I cant believe what Ive read in this thread... Just because you dont track does NOT mean you dont need damping adjustment. Being able to adjust the damping gives you the ability to fine tune the ride/handling trade off the same way you want to fine tune the drop and "create" the car you want. Its not about changing it all the time, its about getting it where you like it.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Fraggy, didn't you change multiple suspensions on your car because you couldn't quite find a setting you liked? Sometimes having adjustments for the sake of having them is more trouble than it's worth.

The bottom line is damping adjustments aren't required for his application, and aren't worth the extra cost, since he is on a budget.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Yea, I prefer the coilover kit that's need tested with the car you have rather that trying to frankenstien it and tune it yourself. It's sound cheesy, but that's why I went with Dinan.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I have KW Street Comforts on my car and I'm glad they have a damping adjustment. In fact, I went with the SCs because I wanted my car to ride softer than OEM which it does at the lowest setting possible (I know - they're not at the last click - 1 click firmer than that per KW's instructions not to set them at the absolute softest or stiffest) which is where I think I'm going to keep them set. With the addition of H&R sways my car corners very flat but rides quite a bit better (i.e. softer and not crashing over every little road disfiguration) than OEM. It doesn't feel floaty to me at all at this setting and for my style of driving (I'd categorize it as "slightly spirited") it works perfectly. If I decided to track the car I have the option of making it quite a bit stiffer, but I don't think that's going to happen as I don't plan on doing any racing with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmed78 View Post
I'm looking to get coilovers for my e90 and my budget is up to $1500 new and up to $1000 used. I've looked at H&R, KW, and FK Street lines. KW and FK have versions for a little bit more than the base versions which offer dampening adjustment as well as height, whereas the base versions are height only. The super premium coilovers (KW 3) are out of my price range.

Question is: how important is dampening adjustment? Is it worth the money? This is my daily driver and will be sitting on 19" Linea Corse LC818s. Not planning on taking the cat to the track. I'm hoping to keep close to the same ride quality as my current sport suspension...maybe a little stiffer in the turns.
A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

It really comes down to what your goals are for the car. If you're looking for damping adjustment, I would recommend that you check out either the KW V2 or KW Street Comfort systems. Both of which give you the ability to adjust the height of your vehicle as well as the rebound damping characteristics.

Rebound adjustment, with the exception of specified vehicles, can be performed with the kit installed via an adjustment spindle on the end of the piston rod. The rebound damping primarily, controls pitch and roll of the vehicle, especially in the low speed damping range which directly influences handling and comfort. Therefore vehicle can be adjusted to the needs of the driver, making the ride variable from comfortable to sporty and stiff, both with improved road handling.

I'll shoot you over a PM with more details!

- Alan
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
I cant believe what Ive read in this thread... Just because you dont track does NOT mean you dont need damping adjustment. Being able to adjust the damping gives you the ability to fine tune the ride/handling trade off the same way you want to fine tune the drop and "create" the car you want. Its not about changing it all the time, its about getting it where you like it.
No it doesn't.

Having the ability to adjust rebound only affects how quickly the springs UNLOAD. Hence "rebound." To truly be able to adjust and fine-tune the suspension to do exactly what you want it to do, you'll need to be able to adjust HIGH SPEED COMPRESSION, which does not come "standard" on most basic coil-over kits, since high-speed compression is usually part of a 3 way adjustable system that cost an arm and a leg (I've yet to see a good 3 way adjustable coil-over go for less than $5,000),

Add the fact that MOST height adjustment requires taking off the wheels, loosen and adjust the height of the collar, put the wheels back on, put the car back on the floor, and rocking it back and forth for a while to get the springs to settle means NO ONE actually goes and fine-tunes their ride height after the first weekend. And to be honest? Every time you "fine-tune" your ride height you need to re-align the car. This is the kind of stuff that is best left to professionals. I'm pretty competent at this and I still have to pay someone else $300 for the ride height adjustment...And at the end of the day? The car currently rides about 1/4" lower than factory.

The ONLY reason to get height adjustable coil-overs is for the ease and ability to properly corner balance the car. The actual height, you just set it once and forget. So in that regard, if you're not getting the coil-overs for it's track performance potentials, you are much better off just getting lowering springs and a new set of sporty shocks like Konis or Bilsteins. The "other" reason would be that most coil-overs allow you to lower the car much lower than your typical lowering spring, some poorly designed ones will allow you to lower the car way past the magical "roll center" which dramatically decreases the car's actual ability to corner but looks dope dropped.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
jahmed78
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

whats the cost for lowering springs and new shocks roughly?

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

about 1-300$ less then coilovers depending on which you want.

If you can afford it, get coilovers. they dont have to be pressure adjustable but height adjustment is awesome, and in turn does adjust the ride a little if you raise the car up/down.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #15
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
No it doesn't.

Having the ability to adjust rebound only affects how quickly the springs UNLOAD. Hence "rebound." To truly be able to adjust and fine-tune the suspension to do exactly what you want it to do, you'll need to be able to adjust HIGH SPEED COMPRESSION, which does not come "standard" on most basic coil-over kits, since high-speed compression is usually part of a 3 way adjustable system that cost an arm and a leg (I've yet to see a good 3 way adjustable coil-over go for less than $5,000),

Add the fact that MOST height adjustment requires taking off the wheels, loosen and adjust the height of the collar, put the wheels back on, put the car back on the floor, and rocking it back and forth for a while to get the springs to settle means NO ONE actually goes and fine-tunes their ride height after the first weekend. And to be honest? Every time you "fine-tune" your ride height you need to re-align the car. This is the kind of stuff that is best left to professionals. I'm pretty competent at this and I still have to pay someone else $300 for the ride height adjustment...And at the end of the day? The car currently rides about 1/4" lower than factory.

The ONLY reason to get height adjustable coil-overs is for the ease and ability to properly corner balance the car. The actual height, you just set it once and forget. So in that regard, if you're not getting the coil-overs for it's track performance potentials, you are much better off just getting lowering springs and a new set of sporty shocks like Konis or Bilsteins. The "other" reason would be that most coil-overs allow you to lower the car much lower than your typical lowering spring, some poorly designed ones will allow you to lower the car way past the magical "roll center" which dramatically decreases the car's actual ability to corner but looks dope dropped.
Youre right, but I didnt think he needed all that. Maybe my mistake. I was taking a midline approach.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:28 AM   #16
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
Fraggy, didn't you change multiple suspensions on your car because you couldn't quite find a setting you liked? Sometimes having adjustments for the sake of having them is more trouble than it's worth.

The bottom line is damping adjustments aren't required for his application, and aren't worth the extra cost, since he is on a budget.
But thats just my disease, Im a fiddler. If it felt a bit rough today Id adjust, tooo soft tomorrow, Id adjust again. It was a never ending cycle for ME. I almost posted that in my post to him so thanks for pointing that out. I should have included it. Others arent like that.

I missed the budget part too, my apologies.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #17
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I have V1's and I wish I got a set of adjustables. I feel like the current ride is too soft, can't really get around it without switching up though.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #18
jahmed78
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks for all the input guys. it sounds like if budget isn't a huge concern then something like KW v2s are the way to go. nice to have the flexibility if needed. especially considering i got an aggressive offset on my rear 19x10s (+22) and i dont want to roll my fenders, i might be doing a lot of tweaking int he beginning.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #19
PandaBear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i X-Drive

Garage List
2009 335i X-Drive  [0.00]
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Check out H&R Street Performance COilovers, I just got mine installed recently =)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #20
jahmed78
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

can u adjust damping on the H&R street performance or height only? how much?

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #21
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmed78 View Post
can u adjust damping on the H&R street performance or height only? how much?
The H&R Street Performance Coilovers are height adjustable with pre-set damping. I'll shoot you over a PM with more details!

- Alan
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #22
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

When you get right down to it, whether or not you should get an adjustable coil over really depends on whether you are the sort of person who likes to constantly tweak their set up or whether you are willing to leave well enough alone.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Appreciate 0