E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Fuel after DPF clean

02-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
gsr
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d & M4

Fuel after DPF clean

Having my DPF cleaned after warning light came on.
When she's back, is there any difference between supermarket diesel and shell diesel for example?
They all comply to the same ISO standard but was wondering if a shell diesel was "cleaner" when combusted so as to reduce the likelihood of any future problems with the DPF.
Thoughts appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
JTMR360
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 335d M Sport

Well I must admit from speaking to someone who engineers Shell petrol I can only imagine that a quality fuel like Shell would be better.

I have used Tesco in my old 330d and compared to Shell I always got better MPG on Shell.

I never got better MPG on Shell V-Power but you do get a cleaner burn with the higher cetane rating of the fuel so yes, that would probably be better for the DPF.

After seeing a mint DPF today that had done 50k which was swapped in favour of a DPF that had been de DPF'd I will be removing my DPF as I cannot see it being great for the car trying to expell waste through what looks like a black breeze block.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMR360 View Post

After seeing a mint DPF today that had done 50k which was swapped in favour of a DPF that had been de DPF'd I will be removing my DPF as I cannot see it being great for the car trying to expell waste through what looks like a black breeze block.
I thought the same after cutting mine open. Its a heavy catalyser followed by a ceramic honeycomb. You will know you are driving a diesel after you remove it though.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
I genuinely think that the type of driving you do will have a much greater impact than whether or not you use a branded fuel.