E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > World's 1st Single Turbo AWD N54: Vishnu/FFTEC Single Turbo Content

Closed Thread

02-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #89
MikeB@fftec
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Evo 8

I've got a few more photos of the install on the 335xi. It's been extremely busy here this week and I can barely get off of the phone.

James fabricated some mid-pipes to clear the transfer case.

The turbo kit is in.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #90
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92tt1986 View Post
Please test something like that.
You would make a lot of money from the xi market as you can see.
I think it's more to do with the uncertainty if anything should go wrong and someone gets hurt.... liability stuff. I think folks will have to rig it themselves.
      02-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #91
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

Brb... I need some tissues to wipe my jizz.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #92
tahoerdr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Shiv,

I've got a 335ix A/T for you, I'm 90 min away from you. I got a quote from FFTEC last October but couldn't justify the cost. I'll give you all the time you need. I've got your PWM meth kit, 7" FMIC, and flex fuel kit sitting on my workbench ready to install.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #93
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoerdr View Post
Shiv,

I've got a 335ix A/T for you, I'm 90 min away from you. I got a quote from FFTEC last October but couldn't justify the cost. I'll give you all the time you need. I've got your PWM meth kit, 7" FMIC, and flex fuel kit sitting on my workbench ready to install.
Excellent. Email me your contact info (shiv@vishnutuning.com) and we can talk.
Cheers
Shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #94
idspeedskater
Idaho Transplant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoerdr
Shiv,

Awesome!! And if you want a ride in the manual Xi to help justify it and see the end result just let me know and we can arrange it
07 335xi Monaco Blue | FFTEC/Vishnu Single Turbo | Procede Rev 3 | Spec Stage 2+ Clutch | Spec Aluminum Flywheel | ETS FMIC | HKS Legamax Exhaust | Vishnu PWM Meth - 2014 e63s wagon | W3 Weistec tune/turbo upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #95
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by idspeedskater View Post
Awesome!! And if you want a ride in the manual Xi to help justify it and see the end result just let me know and we can arrange it
When do you think you'll get a chance to do the 60-130 video's and whatever else you have planned?
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #96
idspeedskater
Idaho Transplant
United_States
Rep

I get back from this vacation early next week, so hopefully next weekend
07 335xi Monaco Blue | FFTEC/Vishnu Single Turbo | Procede Rev 3 | Spec Stage 2+ Clutch | Spec Aluminum Flywheel | ETS FMIC | HKS Legamax Exhaust | Vishnu PWM Meth - 2014 e63s wagon | W3 Weistec tune/turbo upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #97
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Awesome thanks in advance for taking your time to do that
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #98
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Be careful with that stock suspension at those speeds. The awd will keep you straight better than your rwd brother but you know how it is when you have almost 600awhp.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #99
Timore
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI

Garage List
Woah... You guys are n54 mad scientists! I would love to take a ride in one of these
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #100
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Be careful with that stock suspension at those speeds. The awd will keep you straight better than your rwd brother but you know how it is when you have almost 600awhp.
There is nothing wrong with the stock suspension. It's a bit floaty and requires a bit more driver patience/forethought. I still have plenty of fun with stock suspension single turbo cars. Not in the same way I enjoy my JRZ-equipped car. Both are fun but in very different ways.

Brakes, on the other hand, tend to get worked pretty hard with 600+bhp as driving habits tend to change a bit. Performance brake pads are an absolute must if you want to avoid those "Oh Sh%t" moments. These cars get to triple digit speeds in a heartbeat and you find yourself braking harder and more frequently on the road. The stock pads can't handle it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #101
KG3356MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Xdrive M Sport

Awd and single turbo power. I'm in love.
      02-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #102
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
There is nothing wrong with the stock suspension. It's a bit floaty and requires a bit more driver patience/forethought. I still have plenty of fun with stock suspension single turbo cars. Not in the same way I enjoy my JRZ-equipped car. Both are fun but in very different ways.

Brakes, on the other hand, tend to get worked pretty hard with 600+bhp as driving habits tend to change a bit. Performance brake pads are an absolute must if you want to avoid those "Oh Sh%t" moments. These cars get to triple digit speeds in a heartbeat and you find yourself braking harder and more frequently on the road. The stock pads can't handle it.

Big difference between stock suspension on an I which may have the sport suspension and the stock suspension on the xi which doesn't have the sport option and sits about 2 inches higher. Sounds like your comparison was the rwd since you said plenty of single turbos with stock suspension and this is your first awd single. So let's not mislead and claim the awd suspension is equivalent to the sport I suspension. Just saying and good work on getting the single to fit the xi.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #103
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

OMF lord. How da hell do you get traction with that much power like that? This is no longer a BMW, it's straight up drag car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #104
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
OMF lord. How da hell do you get traction with that much power like that? This is no longer a BMW, it's straight up drag car.
It is still very, very driveable on the street.
      02-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #105
Markyd83
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

That has got to be one fun ride!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #106
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Big difference between stock suspension on an I which may have the sport suspension and the stock suspension on the xi which doesn't have the sport option and sits about 2 inches higher. Sounds like your comparison was the rwd since you said plenty of single turbos with stock suspension and this is your first awd single. So let's not mislead and claim the awd suspension is equivalent to the sport I suspension. Just saying and good work on getting the single to fit the xi.
+1. Stock Xi is pathetic. Stock non-Xi sport does not fit (in front). So really a Koni SA or Bilstein Sport + Eibach pro kit (say) just gets you to something a slight bit firmer and lower than the stock non-Xi sport. Which is a great suspension and a lot more appropriate for approx double stock WHP. I have Koni/Eibach and it's not at all harsh or extreme, quite the opposite much more livable on bad roads than stock Xi where I reside (8000 ft ASL CO mtns.). Even tho it is lower and firmer it is more supple (hard to explain). Plus relatively speaking it is cheap ($1k) and completely transforms the character of the car to something I want to toss around corners and over bumps, instead of cringe. Oh BTW I did ditch the RFTs first thing but OEM susp still sucked.

JMHO but stock XI susp is one of the worst OEM I've ever experienced.

Anyway back on topic, great news on the ST kit, can't wait for some real world numbers.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #107
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think anyone was misleading anyone. The stock xi suspension is a fine suspension. it's been optimized for comfort with some amount of sporting intention. It can be improved upon like any other stock suspension that is built to a budget to cover the needs of most people.

What I find particularly misleading is when people suggest that X amount of power REQUIRES (for the sake of safety) an upgraded suspension. If safety is the concern, driver education/performance driving courses should be first and foremost. This applies whether one has 300 or 700hp. Of course, with 700hp, it's a bit more important since bad things happen so much faster.

Also very common is people's tendency to "upgrade" suspensions to cover up their inability to drive properly. It works to a point but eventually, when a mistake is made, it's going to be a bigger problem on a car that was cornering at a higher speed. This is why I (and many others) always suggest learning how to drive on a traction limited, softly sprung car. One will reach the cornering limits earlier and feel weight transfers more clearly. A softer sprung car will also teach a driver how to be more patient and smoother with steering/throttle/brake inputs. As much as I absolutely love my fully raced out (JRZ, bushings, links, lsd, axles, bars, etc,) 700hp 335, I get just as much fun as driving a 700hp stock suspension XI. It gives much less feedback and isn't nearly as quick but it still challenges you to drive properly. I always get nervous when people try to build the ultimate 335i with little or no performance driving experience. Because it takes a lot of experience to have fun (and not crash) in a fully raced out car. And learning on a car that like would be a big challenge. Much better to start off with something softer and less willing to change direction
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #108
idspeedskater
Idaho Transplant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
This is why I (and many others) always suggest learning how to drive on a traction limited, softly sprung car.
And if I take it back to Idaho and drive around in the snow and randomly sanded springtime roads the learning curve coming from stock to upgraded suspension will be key
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #109
jippii ensio
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

The suspension is related to the driving style and traction rather than power. The highest G's are at breaking and cornering - not in accelerating.

The softer and higher the suspension, the better it works in the snow. Many Xis see snow. Power is the last factor to think when deciding on the suspension. Just go with your preferences. Some like it low, some like comfort, some like it very hard with RFTs and stiff springs and shocks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #110
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
The suspension is related to the driving style and traction rather than power. The highest G's are at breaking and cornering - not in accelerating.

The softer and higher the suspension, the better it works in the snow. Many Xis see snow. Power is the last factor to think when deciding on the suspension. Just go with your preferences. Some like it low, some like comfort, some like it very hard with RFTs and stiff springs and shocks.
+1
well said
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread