E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dtc

12-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Scud
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 320d coupe m sport

Dtc

What exactly is it ?

I thought it was to turn traction off but the traction light still flashed when in snow.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

If you press it once it is only semi disabled. Press and hold for 3 seconds ish and its totally disabled.

To be honest you wont be gaining anything except revs if you do.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I don't suppose the search button works very well on this subject since people call it by so many names.

You have DSC on the car which is the nanny state, stopping power to the wheels and flashing it's little light at the slightest excuse.

Pressing the DTC button briefly puts up the DTC light on the dash. All this does is delays the onset of DSC by a certain margin. If you like, it will tolerate more wheel-spin before "applying the brakes" so to speak (cutting engine power to the rear wheels).

Holding the DTC button in for about five seconds switches DSC off, almost entirely (in extremis, it will still operate) which means lots more wheel-spin tolerated with a concomitant reduction in safety which has to be replaced with driver skill. With DSC totally off, it can be surprising how dodgy the car can feel, you can't just drive it the way you would with DSC operating.

With snow, the full DSC comes on so easily you often find you can't move because the moment the wheel slips it cuts power and this is not what is wanted. But if you are sliding all over the place with virtually no grip at all, even when you have switched DSC off, it will operate when things get bad enough - hence the flashing light.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Fully disabled it does NOT still operate'
!!! At all
      12-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scud View Post
What exactly is it ?

I thought it was to turn traction off but the traction light still flashed when in snow.

Thanks
Pushing the button once engages DTC (Dynamic Traction Control). This allows a bit more wheel spin, beneficial for in snow.

Worth watching this video from Tirerack. Note the comments from about 2 minutes onwards, comments on traction control and acceleration.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Fully disabled it does NOT still operate'
!!! At all
"330i, 330d, 335i, 335d; in the same way as with a differential interlock, brake intervention takes place on the rear axle if the drive wheels spin severely, improving forward momentum even if the DSC is disabled."

From BMW themselves, Page 75 of the Driver's Manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45216

.. just one of the many threads discussing it.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
Scud
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 320d coupe m sport

Thanks for the indepth replys guys really clears it up for me. Thanks.

I haven't searched as of yet because it's doesn't have the option on the iPhone but again thanks for clearing it up for me.

Cheers
Scud
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 04:26 AM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
"330i, 330d, 335i, 335d; in the same way as with a differential interlock, brake intervention takes place on the rear axle if the drive wheels spin severely, improving forward momentum even if the DSC is disabled."

From BMW themselves, Page 75 of the Driver's Manual.
Default position = DSC engaged - All safety functions available. On snow, as soon as the wheels slip you will lose engine power, which makes progress difficult.

Press DTC button briefly = DTC engaged / DSC Restricted - The safety functions are all still available, but they will not act as quickly. This allows some wheelspin on snow, without cutting engine power.

Press and hold DTC for 5 secs = DSC disabled. Directional and stability systems are no longer available (except for ABS).

The wording you are quoting from the manual is new and was not in earlier e90 manuals. It suggests that the ABS module will brake driven wheels under severe wheelspin (even with DSC de-activated) to try to replicate the actions of a locking differential.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #10
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I had my new 318 stall this week in ice and snow.
Plenty of spin with DTC on, but at low rpm I guess the brake activation was enough to stop the engine!
      12-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #11
ASR1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Default position = DSC engaged - All safety functions available. On snow, as soon as the wheels slip you will lose engine power, which makes progress difficult.

Press DTC button briefly = DTC engaged / DSC Restricted - The safety functions are all still available, but they will not act as quickly. This allows some wheelspin on snow, without cutting engine power.

Press and hold DTC for 5 secs = DSC disabled. Directional and stability systems are no longer available (except for ABS).

The wording you are quoting from the manual is new and was not in earlier e90 manuals. It suggests that the ABS module will brake driven wheels under severe wheelspin (even with DSC de-activated) to try to replicate the actions of a locking differential.
Could this potentially kill one of the drivetrain sensors (e.g. ABS)?

I ask because I am getting a control system failure message after spinning the wheels trying to get out of snow, with DSC/DTC fully deactivated.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR1 View Post

I ask because I am getting a control system failure message after spinning the wheels trying to get out of snow, with DSC/DTC fully deactivated.
A BMW system can typically reset after excessive spinning, once used on a decent surface again. Not sure how much distance is required but sure someone who's had it happen will confirm. My Passat would reset after a few metres, on the next start up.

Brother in law's XJ had to be recovered after the same thing happened, wouldn't allow a restart.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR1 View Post

Hopefully the car has just become completely confused. After a period of time it has decided that the rear wheels can't really have done 1/2 a mile more than the front ones (or something equally daft) and that in fact the sensors on the front wheels have failed.

Having seen a few cars go on a dyno, they got horribly confused in what are basically very similar conditions. After running properly again without all that "wheelspin" the system can see that actually all is well and reset itself.

Hopefully it is this and not an actual failure.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 01:54 AM   #14
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Fully disabled is fully disabled.
      12-20-2010, 03:29 AM   #15
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Fully disabled is fully disabled.
Thats right. You still have ABS though and the latest manuals seem to be saying that you also retain some wheel braking under 'severe wheelspin'.

Can't say I have noticed this though?
Appreciate 0