E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 335i (N54) turbo warranty extended for wastegate issues to 8yrs/82k miles

12-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #419
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
Anyone have experience working with a central NJ dealer? Had my car for three weeks and have no relations with Princeton BMW, which I am 5 minutes away from. My car, stock, is rattling even at cruising RPMs.
Princeton bmw = suck

I got my cpo car there and it was not a pleasant experience at all, i went back for the We Owe items and basically had to yell at the service advisor because he was trying to strong arm me into doing recalls that i didn't want to do at the time. In front of everyone i basically yelled at him saying,"if those recalls were so important, why didn't u do them a month ago when you guys owned the car!" That basically shut him up.

Go to edison or jmk, they will treat you a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #420
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden View Post
Hi All,

I am about to purchase a 2008 E90 335i with 53K miles. I just want to make sure that this Turbo/Wastegate warranty that started last year is still in effect today before I sign on the dotted line. Thanks in advance!
Take the VIN to any dealership service advisor and ask them for the car service history and all outstanding open recall campaigns. Always get a private party inspection done by a shop that knows the car, most of them are former bimmer techs and know people at dealerships so they can get all the details for u from their buddies.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #421
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
Get the dealer to pull up the car history and see if any recall was ever done. Recall itself is not mileage limited, IIRC. However, if your car is not on the recall list, or it was already done, then it's on your dime to fix it.
Just because a recall is performed... Doesn't mean the issue is always fixed. You still have a 2 year/24k mile warranty from the replacement of any part. You are still covered for the full 8yr/82k miles even if it was already fixed.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #422
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Princeton bmw = suck

I got my cpo car there and it was not a pleasant experience at all, i went back for the We Owe items and basically had to yell at the service advisor because he was trying to strong arm me into doing recalls that i didn't want to do at the time. In front of everyone i basically yelled at him saying,"if those recalls were so important, why didn't u do them a month ago when you guys owned the car!" That basically shut him up.

Go to edison or jmk, they will treat you a lot better.
I ended up getting my turbos replaced after mentioning this warranty. I do have a extended factory warranty too though
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #423
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
I ended up getting my turbos replaced after mentioning this warranty. I do have a extended factory warranty too though
Yea, i just added 12 months on to my CPO to make it the 7yr/100k gold warranty from bmw. I know my OFHG will let go soon and will hopefully take out the WP with it. with my luck it'll also have a valve cover gasket leak too. That in itself will cover the cost of warranty. Plus it gives me more time to wait on doing the wastegate rattle.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #424
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Yea, i just added 12 months on to my CPO to make it the 7yr/100k gold warranty from bmw. I know my OFHG will let go soon and will hopefully take out the WP with it. with my luck it'll also have a valve cover gasket leak too. That in itself will cover the cost of warranty. Plus it gives me more time to wait on doing the wastegate rattle.
I thought just like you do....hoping something would go wrong, because I spent like $2,900 on the 7/100 Gold with BMW. No such luck. Then the Friday after Thanksgiving, limp mode, and a $850 repair was covered (although I could have diy). Two days left--I didn't go on this long a** trip for work, limp mode would have happened a week later, yikes.

All that other stuff, wastegate rattle, water pump, etc. etc. never happened. Would have been better off keeping the $2,900.

Just imagine, paying all that money, and hoping your car will have a problem. It's whack.

Food for thought--wouldn't it be better to bank the extended warranty money, and hope that your car is reliable and doesn't need repairs?

Again, you will always hear from the people whose cars broke and they got repaired under the warranties. You will never hear from people who bought the warranty, and got nothing. That's human nature.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #425
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTek Will View Post
I had tried to fix the wastegate rattle myself by tightening the actuator rod as mentioned in another thread. It did help, but did not get rid of the rattle completely. I actually set it back to normal and a little looser before going into the dealership lol. I was getting a pretty bad rattle on cold starts as well as low rpm acceleration and deceleration. The SA called me 2 days later and told me they would replace the turbos! I was super excited! Just got my car back yesterday, took them 3 days. It was noticeably more peppy at the throttle even while stock. The difference was pretty dramatic once the JB4 was put back in. Stage 1 felt almost like stage 2. Anyways, I got it done at Stevens Creek BMW for those of you in the Bay Area. The SA was Ken Evans. He was pretty cool guy. As i picked up my car I told him I was excited to put my parts back in. He pretended to cover up his ears and said he didn't hear anything, and then he told me he didn't really care
That's funny in a good way!

Wouldn't it be funny if you forgot your tiny wrench, and it was still on the rod when they inspected it?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #426
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWER View Post
I'm getting the rattle at startup only. Last a second and goes away. Is this the beginning? I'm at 37K.
Just chiming in, for all I know the poster already got new turbos...

37k I would say no.

Another thing that happens is the actuator in the rear left muffler wears out, and produces a rattle tinny sound upon accel/decel I would say at 1800-2200 rpm in 3rd, and 2600 rpm in 2nd. Upon startup it should be closing and opening, but that's nothing like a rattle sound....

Disconnect the vacuum tube and what I describe goes away. I know the dealership would like to sit and rev the motor hard and hear a rattle. If it doesn't, good chance it's not the wastegates.....
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #427
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I thought just like you do....hoping something would go wrong, because I spent like $2,900 on the 7/100 Gold with BMW. No such luck. Then the Friday after Thanksgiving, limp mode, and a $850 repair was covered (although I could have diy). Two days left--I didn't go on this long a** trip for work, limp mode would have happened a week later, yikes.

All that other stuff, wastegate rattle, water pump, etc. etc. never happened. Would have been better off keeping the $2,900.

Just imagine, paying all that money, and hoping your car will have a problem. It's whack.

Food for thought--wouldn't it be better to bank the extended warranty money, and hope that your car is reliable and doesn't need repairs?

Again, you will always hear from the people whose cars broke and they got repaired under the warranties. You will never hear from people who bought the warranty, and got nothing. That's human nature.
Makes sense... But i didn't spend as much as u did to extend... I'd say half what u paid plus i have the option to get prorated money back if i cancel it. My OFHG is already on its way out so in 3 months it will pay for itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #428
najin23
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 n54 LSD....

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [0.00]
Quote:

It's an awful thought wanting things to happen so that the money you spent on the warranty will be worth it. It's like you are wanting to be dead after buying a life insurance. I had had many extended warranty offers for my 65k miles old 335i and 30k miles Odyssey. I declined the both, and I think I made the right decision. Last week, when a rep was introducing an extended warranty for my 30k miles odyssey, I told him I would think about it while my car was getting serviced. I told him that I didn't want to create another bill (~$90/mo for the next 3-4years). He then later came back and mentioned that he was giving me a new battery under the existing factory warranty since it had shown a sign of draining. I guess he tried to show me how great extended warranty can be so that I purchase one at that moment. I still didn't buy it, but showed an appreciation for the "generous" decision to replace my battery. yeah, right! If any warranty was that sweet, I'd purchase one with no doubt! Insurance/warranty is quick to buy, but slow to benefit from it. We all know how BMW NA had/have been reluctant to back up their products and grant warranty/recall. In my opinion, BMW NA should had recalled all n54 engine for HPFP and Turbo replacement not by randomly or selectively granting the recall. If you had done something wrong and someone else got damaged from it, you simply have to apologize and truthfully do the best to fix the problem at any cost. Otherwise, you will not move forward. Regardless what law or ethics say about it, that's should be the norm for any human nature in any cultural background.
Having that said, I am glad that I didn't buy any extended warranty....Period! Why would you attract bad things to happen by hoping for it? Yes, I have a life insurance since I am the only income generator for my family. But I plan to live as long as possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #429
Curt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Does anybody know if this is considered a recall? My service advisor told me since my car is Salvage it doesn't qualify for any warranties, extended or not, but only recalls such as HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #430
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Makes sense... But i didn't spend as much as u did to extend... I'd say half what u paid plus i have the option to get prorated money back if i cancel it. My OFHG is already on its way out so in 3 months it will pay for itself.
You would have paid for it in the cpo price....I think adding one year to 7 is even more of a gamble than adding 3 yrs. when the car is 4 yo.....
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #431
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You would have paid for it in the cpo price....I think adding one year to 7 is even more of a gamble than adding 3 yrs. when the car is 4 yo.....
Deductable is $50
Part for gasket is: $20
Labor at indy is 2 hours @ indy rate (but 3 hours at dealer rate from bmw)
Free loaner from BMW
As part of this service i will get a coolant flush
As part of this service i will get an oil change

I will also be complaining about my Vanos and bad idle: $200 in parts + free labor of 1 hour

I will also complain about my valve cover gasket at the same time

And water pump + tstat

Once all that is wrapped up... I am free to cancel the warrenty for a refund
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #432
BDC27
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Another story for the pile. Thought I would post it in case it might be of help to someone.

A couple of weeks ago I took my 08 335i at 65k miles in to a local dealership in Roseville, CA telling them I was 95% sure my wastegates were rattling. It was different than others I've seen on YouTube in that mine only rattled in gear at flat throttle around 2200 RPM. No noise at idle or by just revving the engine in neutral. First trip in (2 days) they tightened some heat shield bolts and called it fixed - it wasn't. Next trip was a week and a half in and after telling me again at 3 days they were 100% sure it wasn't wastegates, they finally concluded after placing microphones all over my engine that it was - both front and rear. They quoted me $2700 to adjust them which I knew was bs and wouldn't fix anything. They said they couldn't proceed under the extended wastegate warranty because I had no codes thrown and it was just rattling. I of course picked up my car.

That day I called another dealership about 30 miles away in Elk Grove, CA and they said to bring it in. While I was there, the shop foreman told me that they absolutely could (and have many times) work under the settlement warranty without codes thrown. I got a call today and they confirmed they are worn out beyond adjustment and are replacing both turbos at no charge!!!

Point being is definitely do not take what one dealer says if they fight you on it. Stupid really because they missed out on what is I suspect a good paying warranty job. I have no idea why. I'm certainly switching all of my business to the second dealership from now on.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #433
tooony619
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 335is MT

I need some opinions on my situation guys...

It is confirmed that I have a waste gate rattle by my dealer when I brought my car in for a diagnostic check... My service advisor is telling me that they cannot replace my turbos under warranty because my waste gate is not the problem??? and that the problem is my actuator rods need adjustment which will cost $1500... I have quoted the warranty service bulletin but he is telling me that my noise is normal and will not qualify. He is referring back to SIB 11-13-07 which says to adjust the rods.. What can I tell him to change his mind?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #434
cialz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i 07

Where can I get a list of recalls? Don't think my waste gate is bad but can I have them check it out for free?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 12:25 AM   #435
tooony619
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 335is MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cialz View Post
Where can I get a list of recalls? Don't think my waste gate is bad but can I have them check it out for free?
More than likely your local dealership will have a diagnostic fee charge.. you can call your dealership providing your vin number they'll tell you if you have any open recalls
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 12:53 AM   #436
cialz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooony619 View Post
More than likely your local dealership will have a diagnostic fee charge.. you can call your dealership providing your vin number they'll tell you if you have any open recalls
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #437
weletourneau08
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Just put your car on jackstands and let it run 2-3 days in reverse
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:21 AM   #438
Curt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukezero View Post
Link is fixed! The PDF attachment on SIB 01 02 12 is attached in the first post.

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B01 02 12 dated June 2012.
SUBJECT
N54 Engine Turbocharger (Wastegates Only): Emissions Warranty Extension to 8 Years/82,000
Miles
MODEL
E60, E61 (MY 2008, 2009, 2010): 535i including xDrive
E71 (MY 2008, 2009, 2010): X6 xDrive35i
E82, E88 (MY 2008, 2009, 2010): 135i
E89 (MY 2009, 2010): E89 – Z4 sDrive35i
E90, E92, E93 (MY 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010): 335i including xDrive

SITUATION
BMW NA has agreed to extend, to a total of 8 years or 82,000 miles, whichever comes first, the
emissions warranties covering the Settlement Class Members’ vehicles for any failure of a turbocharger
caused by a defect in a turbocharger wastegate.

Does anybody know if this is considered a recall? My service advisor told me since my car is Salvage it doesn't qualify for any warranties, extended or not, but only recalls such as HPFP. Would my problem nullify the settlement?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #439
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Quote:

I guess it all depends on luck. I bought my car a year ago with 6 yr warranty from carmax for ~$3200. In that year I had ~$6000 worth of warranty covered repairs (all injectors + plugs, OFHG, thrust arm bushing, vert top tension cables, 3 trips to fix iDrive failure <BT module overheating>), so if I didn't buy it, I would be definitely kicking myself right now. However, now the warranty definitely paid off for me, and I still have 5 yrs of coverage left!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #440
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
I am now at almost 44k miles. Still the same as it was about 8k miles ago. Rattle/HORRIFYING noise at startup, but goes away instantly. This happens 2-3 times a week.

Of course the sound doesn't happen at the dealership. Is there anything that should be done or said at the dealer to get them to look into it further? Or do you really need to have the dash light and constant rattle to get the service? I'm taking it in tomorrow for that and a couple other things.
Appreciate 0