E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Could I get your opinion on this please Shiv

12-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Could I get your opinion on this please Shiv

This is a link from the Shell fuel site in Australia.

http://www.motec.com.au/fueltest/

From reading this test, am I correct in stating:
  1. The power difference between 98 and 100 octane fuel without retuning an engine is about 1%.
  2. The main advantage of higher octane is its increased resistance to detonation.
  3. In order to see larger power / torque increases (say 10%), an engine must be retuned accordingly.
The questions that comes to mind are….
Does the PROcede automatically tune itself to gain large (say 10%) power / torque increases based on the octane level it is given?
Or do we only see around a 1% increase but have the ability to increase torque settings (via the user software) due to the decreased risk of detonation?

Note:
98 RON (Australia) = 92 AKI (USA)
100 RON (Australia) = 94 AKI (USA)

Cheers,

CaptOz
(Putting another shrimp on the barbie for Shiv (when V2.03 is released))
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:23 AM   #2
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Captn'Oz,

I've been running the 100RON for a while now, what i notice is better fuel economy; possibly this is because the car is developing more power... not sure.

I bumped up my V2 settings last night to 92% and did some runs this morning with no issue. Also had a play with an M5 on the way home this evening which was fun.

I am driving up north on Sunday so will take the old road, most likely will bump it up to 94% and see what happens.

Rgds,

S

P.S. was chatting with my lease co today. None of the mods worry them or their insurers (infact they are adding the cost of the proceed, PSS9's, exhaust & wheels to the policy in the event of a total loss). They also invited me to their next track day at Eastern Creek
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:27 AM   #3
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

I agree that running higher octane will give u better economy. My equivalent of Shell V-power here yields me more mileage than say Shell 98 for that matter and the difference is definitely not negligible.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 03:47 AM   #4
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

I am using Shell V-Power 100 ( RON ) as well. The factory ECU adjusts for the higher octane values, not the PROcede. In addition you can bump up the V2 user torque settings, if you like to.

100 octane RON = ~ 95.5 octane AKI.

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:06 AM   #5
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Shell V-Power Racing (100) should be an equivalent of 96AKI and should be able to handle 100% user settings in V2. Anyway, I like your careful way of rasing the settings, that's how it should look like

+1 on Eugens statement

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:08 AM   #6
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
I bumped up my V2 settings last night to 92% and did some runs this morning with no issue.
Could you notice an increase in performance at 92% and did the boost exceed 15%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Also had a play with an M5 on the way home this evening which was fun…..

…..They also invited me to their next track day at Eastern Creek
You have all the fun.

Cheers,

CaptOz
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 04:35 AM   #7
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Captn'Oz,

My boost gauge has a peak setting/alarm at 15psi and it has not triggered on the default or 92% settings.

On the w/e I will get a good chance to give it a run but will up the settings to 94%, or maybe more if I get a chance to play with the ECU tomorrow so I can keep the increments to 2% at a time with a day or two between increases.

I will have to explain to my 90yr old granny the reason she will be holding a laptop on the way back from Gosford on the w/e. At least she is almost blind so she won't see the speedo .

That said 92% seams a little better. Keep in mind I'm after the TQ/HP over the whole rpm range, the wide eyed kick in the butt V1.47 hit was nice but I got over that and want it more drivable; you should take a Subaru GT or WRX for a drive and compare how the boost comes on, it will make you appreciate the 335 with the tune so much more.

Rgds,

S
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #8
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

On most cars if you just dump in race gas and make no other changes the car will be slower or the same. As has been shown many times with the 335i the ECU has the nice ability to adapt to the higher octane and change the tune slightly thus give you more power.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Ok....after reading the various posts on the subject, I now think the following is correct:
  • With higher octane fuel the ECU will adjust and produce more power.
  • With higher octane fuel there is less chance of fuel detonation so we can now raise the boost level (through the PROcede) above 15 psi.
What I am unsure of is if you use higher octane fuel and can raise the boost, how high can you go before its too high? Do you keep increasing boost until you hear engine knock and then back off a couple of %? What's the procedure?

Cheers,

CaptOz
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

I understood that 96 octane AKI ( = 100.5 octane RON ) are good for 100% across the board. However, you will have intake restrictions. Are you sure you want to try this now, short before new and corrected firmware/maps will be released ? Or can you wait a couple of days ...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.n335 View Post
I understood that 96 octane AKI are good for 100% across the board. However, you will have intake restrictions. Are you sure you want to try this now, short before new and corrected maps will be released ? Or can you wait a couple of days ...
... couple of days. I'm struggling to wait a couple of minutes here.

I know the next map is suppossed to be good but I have no idea what it will do as far as performance goes.

Cheers,

CaptOz
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #12
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
... couple of days. I'm struggling to wait a couple of minutes here.

I know the next map is suppossed to be good but I have no idea what it will do as far as performance goes.

Cheers,

CaptOz
Gear dependent launch control ... awsome

Oh and no limp mode (for those that are suffering from it at the moment).

WRT greater than 15psi, probably not the wisest, even on 100RON.
Appreciate 0