E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Diesel quality in Massachusetts

09-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
dj128
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E92

Diesel quality in Massachusetts

Hello everyone, my wife is going to be getting a GL350 diesel (against my wishes), but I'm concerned about the quality of diesel fuel in Massachusetts. Do I need to be worried about Biodiesel levels here? How do I know if the gas station is using high quality diesel with less than 2% biodiesel? What is this Cetane number thing as well? Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Having been on diesel forums for a long time, I don't recall any mention of problems with Massachusetts fuel quality. One can look this up also on the Internet as I suppose you have done.

Congratulations on the GL350 Bluetec - pray tell why you wouldn't like this - perhaps disdain for SUV's??? My only beef with one in the past when my needs were different was the price.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
dj128
Private First Class
Rep

Tried to convince the wife to wait to get the upcoming X5, but she wants a new car before the winter. Her Prius wasn't cutting it with 2 young kids. She also wanted a "green" SUV which I think is an oxymoron.

From my research online, it appears Massachusetts passed a law that required all stations to use a minimum of 5% biodiesel by July 2013, but not sure if this means they can use B20 if they want to. I stopped by a few stations and none of the attendants knew what I was talking about and there was no signage indicate the biodiesel content of the fuel.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

IMO, bio-diesel has not been an issue. At the 5% level (pretty much all the stations in the US are selling 5% unless you shop around quite a bit) it's not a problem with lubricity or cetane. The only cars to have problems with fuel pumps (the main issue with lubricity) were VW TDI - and most of them have been attributed to miss-fueling (with gasoline).

Cetane, although important, is not as important as octane is in gasoline. Pretty much all diesel fuel in the US is basically the same cetane (minimum is 40, most is 45 or so). A higher cetane helps reduce rattle during warmup on cold days; that's almost the entire practical benefit of higher cetane.

No-one on this and other forums have ever complained about diesel availability; it's a non-issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Correcto my fellow LEFt coast Floyd LOL Unlike MANY people that state there are NO diesel pumps around, is because they NEVER looked for them, same issue here in Puerto Rico people said the same but when i told where do truckers go to in their areas the would then oblige and say DAMN I never noticed it, duh!! there are DIESEL pumps every few miles here in Puerto Rico as the same goes in the sates NO BRAINER, people need to be educated AGAIN!! so dependent on gas and PRIUS's its pathetic jajajajja
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
IMO, bio-diesel has not been an issue. At the 5% level (pretty much all the stations in the US are selling 5% unless you shop around quite a bit) it's not a problem with lubricity or cetane. The only cars to have problems with fuel pumps (the main issue with lubricity) were VW TDI - and most of them have been attributed to miss-fueling (with gasoline).

Cetane, although important, is not as important as octane is in gasoline. Pretty much all diesel fuel in the US is basically the same cetane (minimum is 40, most is 45 or so). A higher cetane helps reduce rattle during warmup on cold days; that's almost the entire practical benefit of higher cetane.

No-one on this and other forums have ever complained about diesel availability; it's a non-issue.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
dj128
Private First Class
Rep

In case anyone in Massachusetts was wondering the same thing, I spoke to someone at the Department of Energy Resources. There was some legislation back in 2010 to increase the levels of biodiesel in pump diesel, but it never passed. So long story short, diesel fuel in this state is safe to use and is most likely pure petroleum diesel, but they are allowed to use up to 5% biodiesel if they wish to based on some Federal regulation/law. But if you think you'll get an answer from the station attendant, good luck… =)
Appreciate 0