E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for Sale > IS THIS E90 335i WORTH BUYING? Hellpp

09-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
Leo12345
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Talking IS THIS E90 335i WORTH BUYING? Hellpp

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
2007 Bmw 335i sedan with 42,000miles original,,,,base car,,,,,black on beige,,,,the car is fully fine,,,no lights on dash,,,,only thing is it has a rebuilt ny title,,,,,i took the car to my own mechanic and he said that car runs perfectly,,,,the guy is offering me the car for $10,000,,,everything is fixed absoulty nothing wrong,,,,please give me some info if i should do it or not or if im stupid for not jumping on it....

Rebuilt title

$10,000

Plus ik the guy so he wouldnt screw me over just wanted to know if its a good price...helppp

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Just a little reminder those kind of titles means the car has been wrecked and the title will stay that way forever but if you don't mind the title and you plan on keeping it forever then by all means buy it.

Don't be surprised if later in the future problems might arise from the car.
      09-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
danas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M N54

Did it pass the Inspections to be able to register ? Because salvage cars have to go through real inspection where they check if everything been done correctly and have to support all paperwork for parts replaced.

Another thing - was it an accident or a water damage ? With water damage I wouldn't look at it at all.

10k sounds like a very good price if it's done right.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

I avoid salvage titles like the plague. There is an old adage that I live by that goes "sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make..."
Salvage means exactly that...that in the professional opinion of the insurance company there was damage in excess of what the car was worth to fix...usually that involves extensive damage to the frame which isn't corrected properly because someone wants to buy the car really cheaply, do the minimum to fix it and sell it to maximize their profit. Rarely do they take it to a frame shop and spend all the $$$ to get the car back to spec. One tip to watch out for is when someone tells you that they've driven it X miles with no problem. All that means is that they haven't encountered a drastic situation where if the structural integrity of the car was severely tested, the car might not perform as well as it should and are you willing to bet your life and limb on that?
Finally, if you still really want the car, spend the $$$, take it to the best independent frame shop and have a full inspection; plus take it to BWM and have a full pre-purchase inspection. The $$$ you spend up front, might save you lots of $$$ and perhaps much more in the long run IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
tshoww
oG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White 335i e90

no no no

| It's not about the miles per gallon, it's about the smiles per gallon |
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Leo12345
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Yes the car passed every nys salvage inspection,, no flood,, it was in a front left accident,, the kid has been driving it for the passed 2 years and nothings wrong with it and i forgot to meantion and you crazy are going to thInk im retarded but the car still has its extended warranty yes from bmw till july 2013 engine and transmission...yes its true its not supposed to but i saw it with my own eyes and even went to bmw with the car...the accident was never reported to them
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Cptkoolaid
Registered
Rep
Drives: Looking

I'd avoid buying salvage cars altogether, let alone a bmw. you may be saving a couple thousand now buying it salvage, but down along the road u're gonna wish you'd never touch it. But it sounds like ur pretty keen on buying it so lets hope it doesn't give u much probs and enjoy the ride!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
manywelps
Rep
Drives: 1999 E39 528i

That's a pretty low price.

I'd get a GOOD PPI, and then go ahead.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
Offer him $7k
      09-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
dm2008
Rep
Drives: e92 335i xdrive,4.2l jag s

Honesty 10k.. There is something strange i would think a dealer would give 14k with those miles if it passed inspection and all was right.... proceed with caution.

Which ever route you choose goodluck.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
shahzad134
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 f10 535 x-drive m-sport

You're all very kind... Don't be stupid. If its too good to be true, it usually is.

Clean title retail: $20-25k
Salvage retail: usually 30-35% less

Just because your mechanic says it runs fine doesn't mean the car has suspension or frame issues which were never properly repaired. There are a lot of shady body shops out there.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm2008 View Post
Honesty 10k.. There is something strange i would think a dealer would give 14k with those miles if it passed inspection and all was right.... proceed with caution.

Which ever route you choose goodluck.
BMW Dealer wouldn't offer anything as they don't take salvage cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
I avoid salvage titles like the plague. There is an old adage that I live by that goes "sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make..."
Salvage means exactly that...that in the professional opinion of the insurance company there was damage in excess of what the car was worth to fix...usually that involves extensive damage to the frame which isn't corrected properly because someone wants to buy the car really cheaply, do the minimum to fix it and sell it to maximize their profit. Rarely do they take it to a frame shop and spend all the $$$ to get the car back to spec. One tip to watch out for is when someone tells you that they've driven it X miles with no problem. All that means is that they haven't encountered a drastic situation where if the structural integrity of the car was severely tested, the car might not perform as well as it should and are you willing to bet your life and limb on that?
Finally, if you still really want the car, spend the $$$, take it to the best independent frame shop and have a full inspection; plus take it to BWM and have a full pre-purchase inspection. The $$$ you spend up front, might save you lots of $$$ and perhaps much more in the long run IMHO.
I agree with the first bold..and really like that statement

But the second one is false (at least in CA)

If the price to repair a car is over 51%, the car is salvaged (frame damage no necessary)

So let's say they valued the car at $20k.... fender, bumper, hood, wheels, driver front suspension+brakes etc.... + labor/paint, yada yada yada... if that is all over 51%, they would salvage it.
This has been my experience with insurance companies and I do have family in the business.

And I disagree with the last bold.... BMW dealers don't do that great of a PPI... good independent shops are better. Last I checked, BMW Dealers don't do compression/leakdown tests etc etc. they look over the car for a little over an hour...

For $10k I'd buy it. Tear out the interior, install a full race cage, put some Motons on there, FMIC, DPs, JB4, etc etc etc, you get the idea :P
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
BMW Dealer wouldn't offer anything as they don't take salvage cars

I agree with the first bold..and really like that statement

But the second one is false (at least in CA)

If the price to repair a car is over 51%, the car is salvaged (frame damage no necessary)

So let's say they valued the car at $20k.... fender, bumper, hood, wheels, driver front suspension+brakes etc.... + labor/paint, yada yada yada... if that is all over 51%, they would salvage it.
This has been my experience with insurance companies and I do have family in the business.

And I disagree with the last bold.... BMW dealers don't do that great of a PPI... good independent shops are better. Last I checked, BMW Dealers don't do compression/leakdown tests etc etc. they look over the car for a little over an hour...

For $10k I'd buy it. Tear out the interior, install a full race cage, put some Motons on there, FMIC, DPs, JB4, etc etc etc, you get the idea :P
I guess we will have to agree to disagree...but glad that you like one of my thoughts!
Most insurance companies are much wiser than the average bear...since they are some of the richest companies in the world and they didn't get that way by accident...granted, you can always find a "good deal" on a salvaged title car, but if you take the numbers in aggregate, they are not good deals at all...insurance adjusters do look at many things before writing the car off...besides just the $$$ to fix it...and yes, the actual numbers do vary from 50-75%, but cars that they deem for certain reasons to be unsafe to repair are given that designation and sold off.
As for not going to BMW for a PPI, that hasn't been my experience and one of my best buddies has worked for BMW for over 20 years. Customers can order what level of PPI they wish, just have to pay more. The key point was for the buyer to spend the $$$ and get it inspected thoroughly by whomever, rather than buy it w/o a full inspection.
Finally, while you would spend the 10k and "tear out the interior...etc", I wouldn't spend a dime on that car...rather take the 10k and invest it in something else that when I was done with the car, wouldn't have to sit on it for quite sometime...as many have to do with salvaged title cars, irrespective of what's been done to the car IMHO :
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
PR3CI5N
need4speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i

The price is right but I don't think it's worth it due to the salvage title unless the car really was fixed professionally. I sold my base model 07' E90 335i with 98,000 miles for $13,500 just to give you an idea. If the car looks and runs perfectly and you don't care about a warranty then buy the car But don't be an impulse buyer and end up regretting you decision down the road because the car has mass problems...
      09-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
jdhart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

At that price ... get it inspected 49818 times so you are confident nobody finds anything and then buy it. $10000, hell you can probably part it out for more than that.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess we will have to agree to disagree...but glad that you like one of my thoughts!
Most insurance companies are much wiser than the average bear...since they are some of the richest companies in the world and they didn't get that way by accident...granted, you can always find a "good deal" on a salvaged title car, but if you take the numbers in aggregate, they are not good deals at all...insurance adjusters do look at many things before writing the car off...besides just the $$$ to fix it...and yes, the actual numbers do vary from 50-75%, but cars that they deem for certain reasons to be unsafe to repair are given that designation and sold off.
As for not going to BMW for a PPI, that hasn't been my experience and one of my best buddies has worked for BMW for over 20 years. Customers can order what level of PPI they wish, just have to pay more. The key point was for the buyer to spend the $$$ and get it inspected thoroughly by whomever, rather than buy it w/o a full inspection.
Finally, while you would spend the 10k and "tear out the interior...etc", I wouldn't spend a dime on that car...rather take the 10k and invest it in something else that when I was done with the car, wouldn't have to sit on it for quite sometime...as many have to do with salvaged title cars, irrespective of what's been done to the car IMHO :
Ahh but my friend I must disagree with you again!

The beauty of a "cheap" track car is you can drive it with less worry

tracking a 10-20k car vs tracking 70-80k car is a big difference in worry : P

(my e93 M3 MSRPed for 83k, + taxes, so I do have to be more careful tracking it)

I guess insurance companies I've encountered are different :P

But we agree that they are some of the richest companies in the world!

Depending on the PPI, one can see how the frame is.

Personally, I wouldn't but a salvaged car...but if it's cheap enough from someone I know (like how the op knows the owner), I would look at it differently. Everything is case by case :P
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #17
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Ahh but my friend I must disagree with you again!

The beauty of a "cheap" track car is you can drive it with less worry

tracking a 10-20k car vs tracking 70-80k car is a big difference in worry : P

(my e93 M3 MSRPed for 83k, + taxes, so I do have to be more careful tracking it)

I guess insurance companies I've encountered are different :P

But we agree that they are some of the richest companies in the world!

Depending on the PPI, one can see how the frame is.

Personally, I wouldn't but a salvaged car...but if it's cheap enough from someone I know (like how the op knows the owner), I would look at it differently. Everything is case by case :P
LOL...that was three tongues...but I think we agree on some things and see it differently on others...
In my experience of buying and selling cars, if you have a Salvage title, you have to drop the price significantly, and wait much longer to find a buyer. I'd love to hear from others about this too...because when I see Salvaged title cars on Ebay, CraigsList and all the other online auto sales sites, it seems as though the same salvaged title cars sit and sit for quite some time.
For me personally, I'm not willing to bet my life and limbs on a car that in many cases has sustained major damage and been repaired. Most cases (not all) the car is never as good afterwards as it was before the accident.
Finally, I've learned that when someone smiles and calls you "my friend" run, don't walk away...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 01:29 AM   #18
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL...that was three tongues...but I think we agree on some things and see it differently on others...
In my experience of buying and selling cars, if you have a Salvage title, you have to drop the price significantly, and wait much longer to find a buyer. I'd love to hear from others about this too...because when I see Salvaged title cars on Ebay, CraigsList and all the other online auto sales sites, it seems as though the same salvaged title cars sit and sit for quite some time.
For me personally, I'm not willing to bet my life and limbs on a car that in many cases has sustained major damage and been repaired. Most cases (not all) the car is never as good afterwards as it was before the accident.
Finally, I've learned that when someone smiles and calls you "my friend" run, don't walk away...
I agree and agree!
Hence why I'd have a proper PPI done

I have always bought new, except for a couple very rare occasions... but i have been quoted a good $700, sometimes more, for a PPI. Been looking at some S2ks recently and that's what i'm being quoted (some as low as $300-500 though).
Appreciate 0