E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP failure FAQ!

03-01-2011, 12:50 AM   #947
808speed
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Nope I have no problem with the N54 engine other than the fact that the HPFP, injectors, ignition coils, sparkplugs, turbos, fuel pressure sensors and wastegates all fail at very high rates and have done so for four model years yet BMW has not provided a proper solution for these chronic failures.

Other than that the N54 is a great engine, well when it's running properly.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #948
Zippy7575
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
I was looking around ebay for a csar and saw a buyback for sale. This is supposedlyu what BMW told the dealership that has the car:

Note: This 2008 BMW 335i Sport Coupe was reacquired from its original owner by BMW North America due to downtime associated with a warranty repair.

Problem(s) reported by original owner: "Reduced power and check engine light on."

Repairs made, if any to correct reported problem(s): "Replaced vacuum tank."

The vehicle has been thoroughly inspected and the non-conformity listed above have been corrected - Repairs made by BMW!

Important Warranty Notice from BMW of North America:

BMW has extended the warranty of the High Pressure Injection Pump (HDP) from 4 years or 50,000 miles to 10 years or 120,000 miles whichever comes first. Details are contained in SIB B13 03 09.

I do not think I have ever heard of a buyback for a vacuum tank.
The person that bought my car was looking at a different 335 and the dealer wasnt even going to tell him it was a buyback. He found out from his loan company which told him they would not touch that car with a loan because of the title.

I am carless, I have no wheels
I bought a buyback 335i from E-Bay about 9 months ago. The car was close enough for me to go check it out, and I got it with 30k miles for just under $21k. My credit bureau financed it and I have had no problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #949
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Not sure why he had problems but it wokrd out for me since he bought mine. Did yours have a salvage title?
      03-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #950
jetblack07
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Fyi...just had my fuel pump replaced under the recall. My symptoms were only cold start misfires and only every now and then along with cold start (not super long but not fast either) long crank. That was it. Once the pump was replaced by the dealer the car starts immediately upon the press of the button. Now I have a small transmission leak....wtf!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #951
Force[FED]
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

My '08 335xi coupe, ~45k miles, just had the HPFP and 4 injectors replaced. A few months ago I took the car in because of some long cranks, and all they would do at the time was the ECU reprogram (which only did the priming of the pump when the driver's door was opened). A few days ago the car had idling issues at startup, got the half engine light, and all the typical signs. It had also been "hiccuping" at idle, something I noticed but no one else could really notice (we are attuned to our cars).

BMW took care of me well though, as usual, and got my car in and out in the same day plus a loaner. So while it was a little annoying, at least they took care of my car quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:52 PM   #952
Quisp
United_States
Rep

It seems like there are a lot of people that get 4 injectors. A very popular number. Wonder if it is the same 4, and that strikes me as odd that in so many cars 4 out of 6 injectors are made one place and two are from another batch from someplace else. It would seem that if you put 6 injectors in a car at the factory they would be from the same bunch(unless thre is a mechanical difference on two for some design purpose in the engine).
I just gotr a new pump and 4 injectors in my 08 e92

Did they fix the hiccup? Mine used to do that at idle, drop low then catch itself. Always told "normal" or "cannot duplicate"
      04-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #953
Force[FED]
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Did they fix the hiccup? Mine used to do that at idle, drop low then catch itself. Always told "normal" or "cannot duplicate"
It's only been 2 days for my fixes, but so far I have not noticed the idle hiccuping at all. It was never really noticeable on the tach, but I could feel it and it was definitely not "normal". It was like a slight miss at idle. So far it seems to be good.

I am a little confused by the 4 injectors being replaced too, but I think they base this off part numbers? Like you said, I would expect all the ones on a particular car to be from the same batch, so only getting 4 replaced worries me.

I know the HPFP is now covered til 120k miles per BMW extending that warranty, but what about the injectors? My car is CPO'd, so mine is covered til 100k anyway, but what about those cars that are not CPO?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #954
06alpine3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Quote:
It seems like there are a lot of people that get 4 injectors. A very popular number. Wonder if it is the same 4, and that strikes me as odd that in so many cars 4 out of 6 injectors are made one place and two are from another batch from someplace else. It would seem that if you put 6 injectors in a car at the factory they would be from the same bunch(unless thre is a mechanical difference on two for some design purpose in the engine).
I just gotr a new pump and 4 injectors in my 08 e92

I just picked up my car from service after having the recall done. They replaced the HPFP, low pressure sensor, and 5 injectors. The car starts up MUCH stronger and faster. Its weird, how do they know which injectors are OK and which to replace?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #955
06alpine3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.t.miller2 View Post
Just an FYI, I am an Army Officer stationed in Germany. I have a 2008 335i 6spd coupe with just over 40k. my HPFP just took a sh#t on me. I called the BMW dealership here and with my broken german was able to take care of things. They sent a mechanic to my house, accompanied by a tow truck, he tried to fix the software with no success, so they towed it in. they told me that they are going to replace the pump, and check/clean/replace the injectors, plugs, and the entire "black box" ecu? they mentioned that they see many american spec cars with this problem, but stated that they dont have as big of an issue with the german spec cars, they said they would replace it with a "good german pump"? it is still at the shop, but i will try and find out the part # and detail of this repair, maybe there is already a better pump out there for you guys, but its just made of "unobtainium" for guys in the states???
According to my SA, the ethanol in the fuel here in the States causes the fuel to run a bit hotter and thats why the pumps burn out so often in the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #956
GarySL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Carrera 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06alpine3 View Post
I just picked up my car from service after having the recall done. They replaced the HPFP, low pressure sensor, and 5 injectors. The car starts up MUCH stronger and faster. Its weird, how do they know which injectors are OK and which to replace?
The tech will remove each one & read the serial number (scan it & read the code, like the grocery store bar codes). There is a master list of injector serial numbers that supposedly correspond with those injectors that require replacing & those that are good ones. In your case, one came up good & was reinstalled & 5 came up requiring replacement. The new ones have a serial number themselves which is noted & the computer is then provided the individual calibration for each new injector.

gl
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #957
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Trackrat, that's one of the best posts I've read in a long time. I laughed my ass off.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #958
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Track Rat, thanks for clarifying that.
      04-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #959
electro-house
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Is there a way to make a HPFP fail quicker?

One more goes out in the next 20k miles under warranty and I will have my car lemoned. The problem is I am due for a set of tires in about 6k-8k. I would prefer to have this car lemoned before I have to spend money on tires, is there anything I can to increase the odds of this last one failing quicker? Within reason of course, things like pushing the engine hard when I drive, using a certain brand of gas, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #960
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

I brought my car in last Thursday morning for a wheel sensor issue and they forced the recall issue on me. Picked car up on Saturday, noticebly rough idle, tach needle bounces a bit. I thought well it's cold out, drove the car @1 mile an SES light no half power light. Shut car off restarted and drove again light stayed brought it back to the dealer. Spoke to service manager got a rousing oh sorry, asked that the shop lead look at the car service manager said we'll have him look at it and see if there's a problem, so an SES light right after a repair might not be a problem . Anyhow today SA calls and says 'Hey I've got your key and a repair order here what's going on?" I ask him has he spoken with the service manager, no he's not in yet, did he leave you anything other than that, no. Well makes me feel great in their handling of this not an email, VM, note, post it note bar napkin toilet paper nothing. I can sense their concern and urgency. I also noted they broke a bolt that holds down the fuel rail, looked up on realoem, whats the long term affect of that and they did not provide the certficate of compliance needed in Cali. IMO their techincal acuity is slightly north of warm pudding and my confidence and support as waned immensely in them fixing my car correctly. In non PC terms they suck ass. Expressed this to BMW NA Customer relations in the most polite terms possible, won't be nearly as nice if the dealership calls which I doubt.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #961
sosas07335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i sedan

first hpfp replacement

was just told by my dealer when i dropped car off for service that their is a recall on hpfp and also program update for it.

should i expect problems?
i havent had any problems with my current hpfp, should i tell them not to do the recall?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #962
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Bobble-

I'm sure that you are a valued customer by your local dealer... well maybe not.
Local dealership values no one, too many BMW's in SoCal for them to care. BMW NA on the other hand might differ since this is my fourth new 3 series in 19 years. I just can't get past the lack of communication and complete failure to do what they are supposed to do. I've fired people for less than this.

But I will openly bash them on any internet forum I can until they rectify the issue. and realize the stupidity of fixing what is not broken with previously defective parts. I got the 446 pump so if that's the failure there's one of those. I personally think it's injector related with the fuel rail and the bolt they broke.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #963
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I'm on my 13th BMW and my dealership really doesn't care. Your better off with BMW of NA in regards to ever helping you out because the local dealerships change owners and SA's and really don't care that much.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #964
Quisp
United_States
Rep

There is a reason they are changing the pumps that are not having problems. I can't figure it out but there is something to it. BMW doesnt change working parts unless there is a bigger reason. Hell it is hard enough to get them to change the broken parts sometimes so if these people that have not had problems and are still gettting them changed ther is more to it.
The injector rail bolt probably got messed up while they were doing the other part of the recall on the injectors.
      04-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #965
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Got a recall notice late last week for "emissions". I had HPFP replaced a year ago, injectors replaced a couple of months ago. SA says they need to check the numbers on each injector to see if they need replacing.
Can't wait to get rid of this car, two more months until my Cayman S arrives.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #966
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep

Well the dealership called last night, now I requested the shop foreman look at my car, and said it was just the software that was not reset. I said that caused it to idle roughly, be down on power and throw an SES light. The answer I was given was I think so but let me check. This morning they call and say they had to replace a fifth injector, why only four were an issue the first time who knows, and car is running fine for "now". Thats confidence inspiring. They would have basically let me walk out yesterday without doing anything and throw another light and if that came from the shop foreman well it speaks volumes. Anyhow the dealer placed a call to BMW NA to initiate a buy back but I'm not so sure as I put 5K down on the car and want that back and asistance in getting another car etc.. Anyone have any input on buybacks?
I hear you SAEYEDOC, love the car when it's working but I keep cars a long time and this one screams not after 50K you will. That's just sad as the previous 3 had 130K, 169K and currently the E46 has 167K and driven daily by my 19 yo son. Might be time to jump ship to another brand.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #967
troye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black E93

Took my E93 (Production date of 4/03/2009) in for service today. "Recall for my car..." Installing HPFP today.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #968
BMW19
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagMode335i View Post
Nope. I believe it refers to N54 models. 135i, 335i, 535i and new Z4. No bigiies; they're all having fuel delivery issues. Just a matter of time.
Is 335xi included as well? It has N54 engine as well.
Appreciate 0