E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Girlfriend of 1 year. Help

01-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #23
Lute__
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 JB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
My suggestion, exchange gifts with experiences. Make her a dinner at home, buy a wine and enjoy some popcorn and watch a movie. Simple things bro.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #24
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Did the same $1000 promise ring. We just had our last bf/gf anniversary this month: 6 years. Getting married in march. So 5 years isnt long!!

Lucky to have started a tradition of passing down diamonds to the next generation so technically this is not hers to keep

Think of it as amortizing the costs over decades

Roughly $3 a day for 20 years. Not bad. LOL.

Congrats man. Well the wedding will still be at least another 1 year so we will be on the same path.

Im using my grandmothers diamond for the center piece so the tradition as already started just skipped a generation.

Hahaha no shit. Even though I have the main diamond the setting and other diamonds are crazy exspensive
Congrats to you to! We are doing a quick wedding to get it out of the way since weve been together for over 6 years. Some ppl think omg you waited too long but the timing is perfect for us.

We will be on the same path.

But hey regarding expenses my way of thinking has me fooled. Haha. Think about how much money that is calculated out?! It hurts!!! Lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 12:42 AM   #25
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Lol at all the dont buy her gifts. Yes the expectations will be there later but hey this is life. Do what you want to do and spend what you want to spend. Just make sure its reasonable with your finances.

The more gifts i buy her, the more gifts (car shit, maybe even a whole damn car) i can buy myself
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 01:20 AM   #26
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

Take her for a quick road trip someplace nice but close: scenic drives, state parks, lakes, rivers, whatever. You would be surprised what $100 a night can get you on sites like homeaway.com or airbnb.

No books, no laptops. Just get some local take-out (or make something), a $15 bottle of wine, and grab a few blankets for dinner and drinks under the stars. Just make sure she knows the trip is about her and show her you put some thought into it. Being able to pin the map with places you have seen and done together goes a lot further than cheap jewelry imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:26 AM   #27
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

It took me 4 years before I decided to get close to the $300 mark, and even then I thought it was on the high end. I don't spend much on presents. I hate giving and receiving (cause then I have to give..) expensive presents. I prefer presents that have a meaning, a story, a feeling behind it. Such as having her make me a sweater, scarf, a painting, a drawing, taking us to a couples thing, etc. Rather than her buying me expensive stuff.

I bought my ex's expensive things… first gf I bought her pearl necklaces, diamonds and other jewelry etc. 3rd gf similar but toned down (2nd got nothing…). With the 4th and decided to be completely different… and things have lasted much much longer, I don't buy her expensive stuff.

But $200 for dinner is pretty standard, cheap if you decide to drink. Can easily spend wayyy more over here if you decide to go fancier (Spago, Providence, etc).

If you are in a position where $200= spending a lot on the car… you're not in a position to spend $200. $200 can't buy much for a BMW... If she's the type that demands you spend $$$ on her, then…….

Make it special. Not everything needs to be about having a high monetary value.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #28
Nebraska330xi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Sonora

Thanks for all of the advise guys. I for sure am doing some thoughtful stuff. I actually started making my own sushi a couple weeks back so

I'm going to surprise her with that for lunch (if I can get it right ) and then go dancing and dinner to our favorite spot. I'm not going to spend a ton more than that but I had an expensive weekend reunion with some college buddies and I thought I needed to top the spending for the anniversary ( I'm an accountant ill I think about is $$).

Anyway that homeaway site is very cool!

DIY: Charcoal Delete, K
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #29
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Time, your time...

Nothing is more valuable than spending your time with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska330xi View Post
What do I get her for anniversary??

So I love this girl, will probably marry her some time but we are both still in college and I don't have a lot of expendable income.

I am looking to spend a couple hundred tops but this David yurman bracelet I know she is saving for is like $400. Yikes. When I'm irresponsible with money it tends to be buying her shit so I could see myself getting it.

Obviously the first place to get an opinion is the only site I look at while pooping and eating! E90post!

What did you gear heads get your gf/significant other for one year anny?

Already got reservations for dinner and dancing so I'm already at $200 bucks...I could buy so much more for my car if....haha jk
      01-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #30
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Ahhhh the one year anniversary. I remember mine, had to attend my welding class in college, ended up leaving early to go drink pitchers of beer with some buddies at the local bowling alley without inviting her.

4 years later we are still together, surprisingly.

Don't get her anything, or else it becomes expected. Do something memorable (not like I had), that will show her you want to be with her rather than "purchasing" her. Women like sentimental things more often than shelf items.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #31
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

didnt read thread but best advice, kill her.
      01-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #32
nikkisc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake
Get her a puppy.
a million and one times yes on a puppy!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #33
Nebraska330xi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH
didnt read thread but best advice, kill her.
Haha I have been on a Louis CK bender this week and this fits perfectly with that.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #34
Nebraska330xi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkisc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake
Get her a puppy.
a million and one times yes on a puppy!
Trust me, if it was at all possible to care for a puppy full time for us that would have been a done deal.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:02 AM   #35
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

honestly though, don't spoil her too soon but also don't be cheap. Take her to a nice dinner, write her a card, get her flowers and a small meaningful gift. Wait until later to get her the better gifts because eventually you run out of shit to buy and getting gifts feels kinda forced. I have been with my girlfriend for 2 and a half years and for christmas I got her some supreme snap backs and some meaningful paintings and some other little things. Don't get to the point where it is expected though. Dinner/card/gift/Cunnilingus = you are good