E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Missing Cargo hooks added to 2010 e90

01-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Pale_Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

DIY: Missing Cargo hooks added to 2010 e90

The 2010 e90 does not come with all 4 cargo hooks installed in trunk. It is missing the front 2 hooks (attached near the backseat). I found and ordered the parts, which includes the hook, an inner bracket, an outer bracket, and a screw to attach it. The 2010 still comes with the threaded holes to attach the front cargo hooks, they simply didn't install the hooks. Stupid, but here goes.

Cost: $20 in parts
Time: 3 hrs

I didn't snap pics due to time constraints, but the steps I used are covered here.

1. Remove the plastic panel along the rear inside of the trunk. 4 gray plastic fasteners and 2 phillips screws. This needs to come off to easily remove/reinstall the side trunk panels. The plastic fasteners pull out and are hard to remove. Scuffed the plastic up a bit.
2. Remove the side trunk liners. 3 or 4 black plastic fasteners. Just pry the fastener head off about 1/2 inch (this releases the inner grip) and pull the whole thing out.
3. Note the location of the threaded holes where the hooks will attach. You have to cut the trunk liner, so it important to locate exactly where the screw hole is on the trunk liner. I screwed it in and put some chalk on the screw head. Then replaced the trunk liner and pressed down on the liner while it rested over the screw head. This leaves a chalk imprint on the inside of the trunk liner. Remove trunk liner and measure to double check it lines up.
4. Drill out screw hole left by the chalk imprint. Then replace the trunk liner back in the trunk to verify it lines up with the threaded hole. Screw the screw in to be sure. If this lines up, you are ready to trace out and cut the opening for the cargo hook bracket.
5. Assemble the cargo hook and brackets. The place inner bracket on car frame side of trunk liner; the outer bracket on the trunk side of the liner. Then put the screw into the pre-drilled hole.
6. Hold the whole cargo hook assembly steady and use a sharpie to trace around the bracket on the trunk side of the gray trunk liner. Make sure to trace right up to the bracket, which will leave about 1/4 inch for the plastic lip to cover (and nicely finish) the bracket on the inside of the trunk.
7. Once traced, remove everything and carefully cut out the bracket shape. I used a small cutting wheel which worked great.
8. Once cut out, install the the frame side bracket into the car frame inside the trunk. You need to turn it 90 degrees so a hook catches the frame. Then it snaps into a hole at the top of the bracket. Next re-install the side trunk panel. The trunk side bracket hooks into the top of the frame side bracket. Push down and snap into place. Then install and tighten the screw.
9. One down, one to go! Repeat procedure for other side of the trunk.
10. After both sides of the trunk liner are done, re-attach all the fasteners. Then install the rear trunk panel. Be sure to snug the plastic panel under the trunk seal.
11. Replace the trunk floor panel, hook up the cargo net, and your ready to transport a couple cases of beer without them sliding all over the place.

PS: BMW, please just install these with the car. It would take you about 1 minute for you to do versus me having to blow 3 hours. It is fairly easy to do this mod (if you have the right tools and are patient), but you will almost surely scuff up the plastic removing the fasteners and if you cut the bracket opening too big, you'll have a hole in your trunk liner that the cargo hook bracket will not cover...screw that up and you'd have to buy another liner panel and try cutting it again...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

any pics?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
tlak77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Thanks for the info Pale_Rider, I have my parts on order and I'm waiting for redelivery of my 335d (ED). It is sad that they decided to take a $20 saving on something what actually is useful.
Few question:
Did you see any way of installing hooks without taking the side panels off, just by folding down the back seats perhaps? Also, from the part diagram, it appears that two "flat" brackets are stack-able one goes under the panel other over the panel (lining), are they hold by one bolt? Is there any way you could measure distance from the bottom of the trunk and back of fixed point (rear seat...)to the whole where bolt goes (before outside bracket gets mounted).
Thank
T
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
DeFKnoL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i X-Drive (E90) (sold)

By any chance can you post the part numbers? Or are these generic parts from a hardware store?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
tlak77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...47&hg=51&fg=65

I ordered parts indicated by 9,10,11,13 on the figure, from getbmwpart.com, what I was told some were on "national back order" and it took them a month to finally ship it
T
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

I just did this, although I found the dealer didn't provide part 11 from the diagram. Strange but the part 10 seemed to go underneath the bracket!? Weird but it works. I don't see anyway to install them without taking off the side panels so you can cut them properly. Luckily they come off and go in pretty easily... the hardest part was getting the center rear plastic cover off since the 4 grey plastic fasteners were really stubborn. I ended up borrowing a toy plastic hammer from my son to remove them, but the right answer is a panel tool.
      03-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
TooManyIDs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 530i

Thanks for posting.

2011 335d still has the threaded holes and slots for these parts.
  1. I used a tool that punctured the trunk liner when I temporarily put it back into place (to locate the hole).
  2. Then removed the trunk liner again.
  3. Did the initial rough cut (outside of the car).
  4. Attached the inner shell and hook to the body, then hand tightened the bolt.
  5. Put the trunk liner back into place and did the finishing cut.
  6. Once done, I removed the bolt, attached the outer shell, then tightened down the bolt for the last time.
  7. Put all the plastic liner rivets back on, etc...

Car with a MSRP of $52k and I still can't believe the cheap bastards stopped installing these parts at the factory.
      09-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
Kid Red
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i

I have a 2010 CPO, just ordered a cargo net and wondered why I couldn't find my two hooks. haha, I will have to order the parts and install, thanks for the thread.
Sold: 2010 Sapphire Black E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #9
bluecrab
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive E90 LCI

I just ordered a spare tire kit for my 2011 E90 (switching to non-run-flats) and noticed that the front tie-down loops are missing. I need those loops to secure the tire! I just ordered the necessary parts for my car. Thanks for posting this awesome thread!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
lap777
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

First, thanks for letting me know that this addition was possible!

I have fold down seats so I cut out the holes without actually removing the trim from the car. Takes half the time. How I proceeded: remove the floor panel, remove the 3 black plastic fasteners each side (maybe just the ones at the back will do). Then, pull on the trim, measure where the hole is, push back trim, measure and drill (careful!), install plastic cover and bolt to draw a contour with a fine point sharpie, cut with a good box cutter, clip hook and rear plastic piece in place behind trim, check the fit of the plastic piece on top (it has to clip on top and on the hook), trim if required. Looks like it was always there.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #11
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lap777 View Post
I have fold down seats so I cut out the holes without actually removing the trim from the car. Takes half the time.
Wish I'd thought of that