E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Alpina B3 Tcu At Flash

03-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

Alpina B3 Tcu At Flash

I just done the Alpina B3 AT transmission flash and my god shifts are now very very quick and when downshifting has perfect rev matching,
Makes the car another step forward one happy camper.
      03-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
moebius99
njack9
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy
I just done the Alpina B3 AT transmission flash and my god shifts are now very very quick and when downshifting has perfect rev matching,
Still lag when changing up? Ie. giving you more control in manual mode?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep

No more lag between shifting up in manual mode suites a tuned car and higher boost now as is the ALPINA B3 has around 400BHP and massive torque and running the same Auto's as ours.
      03-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Never heard of this before!

Did you do it yourself or got someone to flash it for you?

How much etc??
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemballa1980 View Post
Never heard of this before!

Did you do it yourself or got someone to flash it for you?

How much etc??
Did it myself just do a ALPINA B3 TCU FLASH search and on another bmw forum there's 43 pages about it over the last week or two
Cannot name the forum on this site, but when its done its light years ahead.
Plenty of guys had it done on the N55 but it was for the N54 engine there is a bit about the flash here-

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810047

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815840
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=794015&page=3
Starting from this page

Last edited by chappy; 03-17-2013 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
Did it myself just do a ALPINA B3 TCU FLASH search and on another bmw forum there's 43 pages about it over the last week or two
Cannot name the forum on this site, but when its done its light years ahead.
Plenty of guys had it done on the N55 but it was for the N54 engine there is a bit about the flash here-

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810047

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815840
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=794015&page=3
Starting from this page
Sounds like something I would like to do. Can you tell me what is WINKPF Software? do you load that into OBD connector with a laptop? What did you do?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
Thanks for posting this Chappy. This will be my next MOD as i get snappy down shifts at 50kms with COBB. looking forward to crisp changes...

Any idea is this works with COBB?

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornadog335i View Post
Sounds like something I would like to do. Can you tell me what is WINKPF Software? do you load that into OBD connector with a laptop? What did you do?
I bought a old xp32bit computer then I hunted the internet for different versions of INPA/EDIABAS/NSCEXPERT/WINKFP I did have problems with some version of Winkfp until I had no errors come up on my laptop, there are plenty of DIY how to set up INPA/WINKFP on the net, then you have to get hold off the ALPINA codes for INPA.
WinKFP is the one for the Flash as this video will show you-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLEIMcfeSCw
      03-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
blk335msport
Private
Rep
Drives: 335 M sport

Sounds great, can anyone in Melbourne organise this?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Interesting
I will have the boys play around with my car and let you know the outcome, maybe we can offer a service for those that don't want to do it themselves.

advanperformanceeuro.com.au
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat
Interesting
I will have the boys play around with my car and let you know the outcome, maybe we can offer a service for those that don't want to do it themselves.

advanperformanceeuro.com.au
That would be great. I'd pay a reasonable fee to not brick my tranny myself.
      03-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk335msport View Post
Sounds great, can anyone in Melbourne organise this?
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #13
BMJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornadog335i View Post
+1
+2 very interested in this.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

+3 very interesting indeed.
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
335i-boy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Has anyone managed to load this flash in NSW as yet? Sydney?

I have been doing a lot of reading about this Alpina B3 6AT flash in the main N54 forum and the "other" forum that shall not be named.

It seems like a no brainer to me. I have had some coding done by another forum member but have not performed it myself. From the looks of the winFKP DIY it does not seem to be THAT involved. The actual flash needs to be downloaded from somewhere which might be a little harder to find.

..but I have not done any coding on this car so I probably have no idea.

There has to be a coding genius locally that might be able to help another forum brother out???!!!
2008 E92 335i M-Sport | Sapphire Black | Sunroof | Creme Beige | Poplar Grey | Logic 7 | 6AT | 19" AG M359's | Michelin PS4S | LUX V3 | MHD V5 E40 | Steve AZ Walbro inline | Vishnu DCI | BMS CP | AR Design Catless DP's | Forge DV's | Helix IC | (Stock Cat. back) |
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=335i-boy;13713116]
..but I have not done any coding on this car so I probably have no idea.
QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. Ordered a cable for it, which arrived yesterday.. Now I just have to suck it up and give it a go!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:15 AM   #17
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep

Worst part is getting all the software setup exactly right and the versions right but the Flash is easy on WINKFP but if your paddles don't work after the flash, you have to configure NSCEXPERT I thought I had it right when I did another car but for some little thing which we are still figuring out with NSCEXPERT, we FLASHED the tranny that part is good, but no paddles, did Part 2 and the software said coding ended finished, but still no paddles.
Will be a solution for it shortly.
      04-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #18
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just got this done lastnight.. And you're right - the hardest part is getting the PC setup ready for flashing.. The actual flashing part is simple & quick!

I put a battery charger on just incase, but after seeing how quick the flash was, I don't think it was needed.

Also, for those curious, I didn't need to unpair my COBB or anything.. Although if you have a piggyback (Jb4 etc) you have to set it to valet mode??

As a quick review: It really does make a massive difference in upshifts, and you can actually use the paddles with confidence. My only dislike is that when in D, it upshifts WAY too soon.. As in, it feels like you're constantly in 6th gear. You'll go from 1st to 6th before you hit 60kph.. As soon as you put your foot down, it's great in selecting more appropriate gears, but still, I would have liked to see D hold gears just that much longer. From what I can gather, most that have this mod just leave it in S (old DS mode) and it drives perfectly.

For those interested, I got a guy on these forums to help set my PC up remotely and run me through the flash process.. He can be contacted on by the name of: ******84 He's done plenty before and I can now vouch for him.. You just need a working cable.

For anyone interested in Canberra - I'd be happy to lend you my cable..

Another cheap and very effective mod for the N54!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #19
BMJ
Captain
Rep

man i'm keen as mustard on this. can't wait to get back and get it done.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #20
pweber84
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemballa1980 View Post
I just got this done lastnight.. And you're right - the hardest part is getting the PC setup ready for flashing.. The actual flashing part is simple & quick!

I put a battery charger on just incase, but after seeing how quick the flash was, I don't think it was needed.

Also, for those curious, I didn't need to unpair my COBB or anything.. Although if you have a piggyback (Jb4 etc) you have to set it to valet mode??

As a quick review: It really does make a massive difference in upshifts, and you can actually use the paddles with confidence. My only dislike is that when in D, it upshifts WAY too soon.. As in, it feels like you're constantly in 6th gear. You'll go from 1st to 6th before you hit 60kph.. As soon as you put your foot down, it's great in selecting more appropriate gears, but still, I would have liked to see D hold gears just that much longer. From what I can gather, most that have this mod just leave it in S (old DS mode) and it drives perfectly.

For those interested, I got a guy on these forums to help set my PC up remotely and run me through the flash process.. He can be contacted on by the name of: ******84 He's done plenty before and I can now vouch for him.. You just need a working cable.

For anyone interested in Canberra - I'd be happy to lend you my cable..

Another cheap and very effective mod for the N54!
Thank you for your recommendation.

I'm glad that all works great and thanks for. I also would like to add that your software is also ready to flash/update other modules in your car, you just need to download full SP-DATEN.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #21
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
man i'm keen as mustard on this. can't wait to get back and get it done.
We need to find someone that can do this in Melbourne BMJ.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
eriktufa
3r1k
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i

Just did mine.

D mode is much smarter and probably is a better mode for daily driving (under normal load it will shift at 1500-2000 rpm)

S mode is much better as well! suits city driving (under normal load it will shift at 3000 rpm)

M mode improves over stock flash however if you think that you will get DCT like shift you will be dissapointed. Downshift and rev-matching is better compared to stock flash but it is not as fast as DCT and you will still feel the forward lurge (although it is not as bad as stock flash). Upshift feels better and you get DSG/DCT pop (huge win! ).