E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > My new car.......

03-08-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

My new car.......

....well not really but Ive just had this delivered from renault UK for a week to use, which is quite handy as Im car-less at the moment (the S3 is still a couple of weeks away)

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
....well not really but Ive just had this delivered from renault UK for a week to use..
Reminds me of my 'hot hatch' days
How come you've got it for a week? extended test drive?
Exterior looks better than the plastic interior
Although I like those Recaro's.....
      03-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

As I run my own garage, and have my own discount terms in place with most, if not all, of the manufacturers I can phone up and get an extended demo of any car, for a week - Quite handy at times really.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
CD
gone ... but i will be back !
England
Rep
Drives: 335D Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DervFan View Post
Exterior looks better than the plastic interior
funny you should say that , i am just reading one of clarksons books, he describes one interior trim quality of being a tacky looking consistancy of ''melted down action man'' .. JC is great , very funny !

i do actually like that renault sport, would feel very flimsy compared to what im used to now i suppose. That colour though i couldnt look at that for too long!

E92 335D / QUAIFE LSD / EIBACH / DIMISA / REMAP / 19" HAMANN EDITION RACE REPS
... USUALLY WITH A HEALTHY SPLATTERING OF GOOD OLD YORKSHIRE MUD ...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 03:07 AM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Cool. Just the sort of car that would be a laugh for a week, but you wouldn't necessarily want to own.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 04:08 AM   #6
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Oli, so what are first impressions of what it's like to drive? I do like this size of hot hatch and with a good chassis and 200 odd bhp it's got to be fun.

The issue I would have is the overall and more so interior trim quality - what do you think of this and anyhow as many on hear keep there cars 1 to 3 yrs does it really matter......
      03-08-2008, 05:12 AM   #7
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
is that the one from the advert where it builds itself up with Brembos and turbos and the like flying down the corridor ?

SJ
      03-08-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
I don't think you can knock the French for building cars that are fun to drive, especially their hot hatches. But that interior just doesn't do it for me and I thought it was the Japs. that were in love with plastic.

But as a car for someone younger than moi, I'm sure they'd love it. I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 05:46 AM   #9
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

All I can say is OH MY GOD!!! This car is amazing, no over/understeer to speak of, and a great engine that loves to be redlined. Am now re-thinking my next car after the S3 - buy the wife a sensible estate, and Ill have a little 197 toy.

If you havent driven one, go and drive one - It is astonishing how well it drives, probably the best hot hatch Ive ever driven - This should be a good week.....

Oh and the interior plastics aren't as bad as you think
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 07:27 AM   #10
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Oli, I am guessing this one does not have the cup chassis by the ride hight on the pictures.

How do you think in compares with a Cooper S have you driven the lastest version of this?
      03-08-2008, 09:30 AM   #11
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

This one has the standard suspension. Only driven a standard cooper in the latest shape, driven plenty of the previous one though. I'd have the clio over it anytime, apart from the fantastic drive, there is more space in the clio
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
SiBurt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F20 M135i AT, MPE, MPLSD

I can echo Oli's sentiments, as I bought my wife a 197 (F1 R27) to replace her 120d - nobody needs two diesels in a household!

It's a fantastic toy, really well screwed together and handles like nothing else.

In fact, Ive just got back from a Renaultsport meet in North Wales where we (32 cars) did the 'Evo Triangle' amongst other great roads and the amount of speed you can carry through a bend would impress even the biggest badge snob!

Last edited by SiBurt; 03-08-2008 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #13
Oli
Campervan man
Rep

hello mate - where are the pics of today shananigans?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

What the fecks goin on here 1st an audi now a bloody renault
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #15
SiBurt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
hello mate - where are the pics of today shananigans?
I didn't get a chance personally - the driving was totally intense and the weather disgusting! I'll nick some off the Renaultsport site and post them up if I get the chance.

It turned out to be quite a day with two cars involved in accidents (one Trophy written off on the triangle after rolling a couple of times) and a blown engine on the journey to Wales!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #16
SiBurt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Link to pictures as promised...

http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/commun...TOPIC_ID=23025
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #17
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
All I can say is OH MY GOD!!! This car is amazing, no over/understeer to speak of, and a great engine that loves to be redlined. Am now re-thinking my next car after the S3 - buy the wife a sensible estate, and Ill have a little 197 toy.

If you havent driven one, go and drive one - It is astonishing how well it drives, probably the best hot hatch Ive ever driven - This should be a good week.....

Oh and the interior plastics aren't as bad as you think
Quote:
This one has the standard suspension. Only driven a standard cooper in the latest shape, driven plenty of the previous one though. I'd have the clio over it anytime, apart from the fantastic drive, there is more space in the clio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiBurt View Post
I can echo Oli's sentiments, as I bought my wife a 197 (F1 R27) to replace her 120d - nobody needs two diesels in a household!

It's a fantastic toy, really well screwed together and handles like nothing else.
More food for thought. BMW price premium, if it hasn't already, will start to look increasingly unjustified IMHO, particularly as their quality appears to be heading south....

Oli, more on the Clio please this week, I'm interested to see what you think after a while, particularly with regard to the short gearing on the motorway. You're not alone in loving it, EVO felt the same about their longtermer (run by someone who owns a Zonda).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #18
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
More food for thought. BMW price premium, if it hasn't already, will start to look increasingly unjustified IMHO, particularly as their quality appears to be heading south....

Oli, more on the Clio please this week, I'm interested to see what you think after a while, particularly with regard to the short gearing on the motorway. You're not alone in loving it, EVO felt the same about their longtermer (run by someone who owns a Zonda).
Renault's are cheap, but they have almost zero residual value after 3 years and any sensible sort of mileage.

BMW residuals may be weak, but they do at least exist.

As to build quality - I looked into a renaultsport megane F1 team 235 recently and they do seem to fall to bits incredibly often.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #19
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Bumps, the gearing in 5th and 6th has been changed on the latest cars to improve motorway cruising. It still will not be high compared to your BM but should be better.

Need for Speed, I am no Renault fan but your statement is not really thought out and a bit of a dig at only premium hold there values.

1. The car only costs £16k list so hasn't got that far to fall compared to what most of us own.
2. I have just looked at 1 broker and they will do for £14k (car supermarkets £13k new)
3. Take the Renault dealers 14k and put down 35% £4,900 and £253 a month for 36 that £9,100 balance interest free from Renault finance.

4. So what's it worth I am sure Oli as a dealer will have a better idea than me so lets put it 3 yrs down the line with 36k on the clock.

Worst case they will give you £6,000 but I would hope you would get £7,000 to £7,500. £6,000k is 37.5% of list seems reasonable to me.

So your 3 yrs have cost you £6,500 to £8,000 in depreciation or £2,166 to £2,666 per year.

Compare this to your or my BMW and it's a cheap car to run. I understand they are only relative costs but its a good illustration.

e.g. 330i speced and discounted say £33k and 2nd hand same paramaters above trade in £17 to £18k. Therefore deprciation £15k to £16k over the same 3 years and my 335d will be the same or worse.

Bottom line run the Clio and £2.5 to nearly £3k better off per yr before finance costs and the opportunity costs of the cash tied up in the car. On a daily basis the Clio will be equal if not more fun if you don't need the space of the 3'er. The extra 3k will pay for your Lotus or some nice holidays or some track days.

I drove past a dealer this afternoon and looked at one and the build quality is fine and it will not fall to bits in 3 or 6 yrs for that matter.

I am not saying its a fantastic car as I have not driven or lived with one but what I can say is that to say it's worth nothing 2nd hand or it will cost you the earth is misplaced.
      03-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #20
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Need for Speed, I am no Renault fan but your statement is not really thought out and a bit of a dig at only premium hold there values.
That's a bit unfair mate.

If you do a search you will see that I was seriously considering getting the 'souped up' renault megane a few months back.

At the time renault were offering good finance and on the face of it the car would have been cheap to own.

What I did find though, after trawling through some renault forums, was that compared to it's peers (e.g. Ford Focus ST, Golf GTi) the initial 'cheapness' of the renault was pretty much cancelled out by the poor residuals. Obviously on a car that's less than £20k this is going to be less of a concern than on a £35K BMW - because the figures are smaller.

My research did also identify a lot of dissatisfaction about warranty issues and servicing - although you could just as easily say that about BMW at the moment - lot's of megane F1 owners had ended up being towed from what I could see.

Anyway .. I didn't intend to knock the cars at all .. I was just trying the balance the argument based on the information I had found myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #21
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
That's a bit unfair mate.

If you do a search you will see that I was seriously considering getting the 'souped up' renault megane a few months back.

At the time renault were offering good finance and on the face of it the car would have been cheap to own.

What I did find though, after trawling through some renault forums, was that compared to it's peers (e.g. Ford Focus ST, Golf GTi) the initial 'cheapness' of the renault was pretty much cancelled out by the poor residuals. Obviously on a car that's less than £20k this is going to be less of a concern than on a £35K BMW - because the figures are smaller.

My research did also identify a lot of dissatisfaction about warranty issues and servicing - although you could just as easily say that about BMW at the moment - lot's of megane F1 owners had ended up being towed from what I could see.

Anyway .. I didn't intend to knock the cars at all .. I was just trying the balance the argument based on the information I had found myself.
Apologise, I was unfair but I was trying to illustrate the point about residuals not being so bad on these cars and a lot of fun can be had for a much smaller outlay.
      03-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #22
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Apologise, I was unfair but I was trying to illustrate the point about residuals not being so bad on these cars and a lot of fun can be had for a much smaller outlay.
Gibbo - no need to apologise ... I think I expressed myself badly

... and I agree with you that you can have a lot of fun in cheaper cars these days.
Appreciate 0