E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > End of Year Upgrades you may want to consider for your stock E90/E92/E93 cars.

12-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
battlefury
Rep
Drives: 09' 335i Twin Turbo

End of Year Upgrades you may want to consider for your stock E90/E92/E93 cars.

I begin by saying I'm a new fan of BMW only 2 years. Prior to this it has always been Japanese cars like the Skyline R32-R34s, Silvias, Toyota RS200, or even Toyota Celica GTR 4ws I had once. I guess I grew up and wanted a more serious car that didn't have to be modded or changed to sound and feel different. BMW caught my eye in Iraq, when I was there I witness a beautiful 7 series get turn into swiss cheese, but I get to see it's lines and refinements before some army unit tore it up for target practice. Once I came back to the states, I went around looking at various cars and none really felt comfortable until I found my Titanium Silver 335i E90 with Twin Turbos. Telling my friends about owning a straight 6 with twin turbos is rather fun and easily understood.

So I took her for a test drive and damn that car stock was way better than most tuned Japanese cars I had in the past. "The thrill of the drive", like in the BMW commercials. The sales man let me take it home as a loaner, and I drove her hard all the way home. Then I sat in my driveway just admiring the wood grain dash, the curves, and styles. The feel of the all leather, and that nice new car leather smell. Next day when I drove her back to the dealership I was in love, this is my car, and I brought her that day. The dealership was great they didn't lie to me bout anything, as I did my researched.

Two years later...Well the trill of the drive like I remembered it was gone. The car seem to want to go faster and faster after I broke her in at 152 mph on a long empty highway straightaway one night. I thought to myself I wanted much more, maybe more sound--the exhaust notes were too quiet and that little lag in between braking and accelerating was starting to be annoying. And to my luck, BMW NA offered that end of series factory revamp, and I thought to myself hmm, maybe that is an option to consider.

So as an early Christmas present to myself, I got the Performance Pack 2 that included a larger fan for radiator, ducts for the front wheels, and air intakes, plus the computer calculations to give it a nice extra 20 HP, and 32 lbs torque without increasing gas costs. I also got the BMW performance exhaust too. I figure might as well keep my warranty and may even improve the resell value if I happen to want to sell it one day, but shes a keeper for now.

Here is a video of what my 09' E90 stock sounded like:
http://youtu.be/93a831vm2Rc

And here is the video of the Performance Exhaust with PPK2:

Cold Start Up:

Another cold start up, bored so thought high reving it to warm up before going out. Background noise is rain. Turn up your speakers and enjoy!

Part 2 , after the engine was warm I did some more reving. You can really hear the nice tones and turbos wine down. Enjoy.

The car runs great now. Faster than before, you can really notice in the increase in torque, and that little lag is gone. Even shifting in Sport mode you feel a jolt of power making the car louder and faster. I am happy with the BMW performance parts. I also got the black grills and they do make my car more impressive and mean looking. I would also say my gas consumption prior to upgrades was like 19 mph city and highway, but now its like 21.7 mph city and highway. I guess I don't need to press the gas pedal hard no more.

I will some more videos while driving once I figure that part out.

My Thanks and Appreciation to Houston's Momentum BMW West for providing excellent service and the whole process only took a week since parts had to ordered from main warehouse.

Especial Thanks to:

Walter DeCesaris (sold me the car)
Client Advisor
walter.decesaris@bmwwest.com
832-772-9000

John Crispino (hook me up with amazing advice and more.....)
Internal Service Manager

Junior Uresti (my service advisor everytime)
Service Advisor
Junior Uresti

These guys are the ones to talk to if your in Houston and like to get your car retro-fitted especially John Crispino, ask for him to get you the best advice and possibly the best deal possible too. Oh yea I'm not trying to advertise for nor get paid to. Hell we all are advising every time we get in our cars so what matters if my post here sounds like one. I'm just giving credit where its deserved.

Last edited by battlefury; 12-08-2011 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: fix embedds
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Embedding failure x5, and half of your first post sounds like an advertisement.

Side-note: I might not be the most knowledgeable, but I'm pretty sure "warming up the car by high reving it" isn't the smartest thing to do?

Last edited by Royal Flush; 12-08-2011 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

You said: "I got the Performance Pack 2 that included a larger fan for radiator, ducts for the front wheels, and air intakes, plus the computer calculations to give it a nice extra 20 HP, and 32 lbs torque without increasing gas costs"

My car came with the BMW performance package that added 20 hp and 32 ibs of torque. Does this mean that I have the larger fan for radiator etc...??
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Sam335ix
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Flush View Post
Embedding failure x5, and half of your first post sounds like an advertisement.

Side-note: I might not be the most knowledgeable, but I'm pretty sure "warming up the car by high reving it" isn't the smartest thing to do?
I agree completely, in the Manual though it states even if the car is cold you do not need to start and sit idle... WTF so when its cold just start and go? I thought that was bad for the car/s...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

The oil is too thick to properly lubricate the top end and turbos when cold.
You will cause premature wear doing that.
The manual means you don't need to idle it. Drive moderately until operating temp.
They don't mean jump in and pin the redline carefree.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
Sam335ix
Major
Rep

That is what I do ^^^
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Juiced1M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
try to post like this

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
battlefury
Rep

Only doing the video recordings like this to show off the sound, but when I get someone to follow me around with a camera to film while i'm driving or when I get some cameras to mount then I will show those videos too.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
battlefury
Rep

prob not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
You said: "I got the Performance Pack 2 that included a larger fan for radiator, ducts for the front wheels, and air intakes, plus the computer calculations to give it a nice extra 20 HP, and 32 lbs torque without increasing gas costs"

My car came with the BMW performance package that added 20 hp and 32 ibs of torque. Does this mean that I have the larger fan for radiator etc...??
you might only have the ppk1 that only includes the cpu calculations.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Regarding cold starts, start the car and let it idle until the RPMs idle down to about 650-750. It will take about 30 seconds. After that you should drive moderately until the engine is warmed up to at least 170.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
wins76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

If you don't mind asking, how much did it cost you for the ppII installations? I'm thinking of doing it to with BMW West Houston
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
ncats07
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

"Another cold start up, bored so thought high reving it to warm up before going out."

Brilliant idea. Unreal.
Appreciate 0