E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Needing insight on timing corrections!!!

07-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #45
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
seems like op should have gone with a more meth friendly tune. I say stack the cobb and Jb4 together if only for the ability to graph logs easily.
      07-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #46
Vwgrk1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi 6MT

Can I back the truck up a little? So, is the thought that some timing correction is OK during a WOT pull?

Is it that you only worry about knock if the correction is larger than -4 and/or on multiple cylinders?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #47
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vwgrk1
Can I back the truck up a little? So, is the thought that some timing correction is OK during a WOT pull?

Is it that you only worry about knock if the correction is larger than -4 and/or on multiple cylinders?
good question, I'm curious to see what the answer to this question is. I also emailed cobb today and they said the second log looks great. but it also has timing corrections. so I guess I'm just clueless. I also have to get back out and do more logs that jeff recommended.
      07-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #48
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
Dude, you're giving some strange, uninformed advice...

WOT look for cylinders next to one another "talking". Also, look for timing pulled at more than 4 degrees as that typically indicates a significant event... And you *must* log all cylinders to see this behavior. I always log total timing because it also gives insight into other pre-correction activity when compared to the main timing table.

Helpful info from a guy who sent the tech talk here back to the stone age when he was banned - I'll leave it up to you to pick out the relevant info:
Strange uninformed advice... HMM

I'm trying to decipher what the OP is even asking so I'm giving broad advice with the hopes of responses so I can then offer more detailed advise.

As it stands I'm still guessing what he is asking since I havn't seen any usable logs.

It turns out now that I've asked and pushed enough questions and statements the OP is worrying about something that isn't a problem.

As I said about 3 times in this thread, he is worried about timing "CORRECTIONS", which is not to be confused as Ignition Timing.

People use terms very loosly around here, and someones interpretation of timing correction, timing drop out, or timing could all be the same thing. Then other people come in here and confuse the OP more and everything I say just gets forgotten.

In the OP's case if he is logging "timing corrections" off boost, cruising around town, it is perfectly normal to see it. It is simply what this car does when driving around.

IF he is seeing timing "drop offs" a large drop in timing during a sustained WOT pull, then that is a cause for potential concern.

Without the appropriate information given to me I can only respond with broad information given broad information.

It's funny how you mention Dzenno as a tuner, go do some more research on him. This is his first car and he has no prior tuning experience. I've been tuning cars for the past decade and still do today. I'd question if those responses are even him, it looks like flylow talking for him.
jeff, I apologize for the confusion. at first I was worried about timing corrections at highway speeds or cruising around. I realize thats not a huge deal. so I did attach a few logs in this thread. they were third gear pulls from about 2500rpms to about 6500rpms. both had timing corrections. I didn't get a chance to go back out and log the exact data you asked for but I will get those logs. but with the logs in this thread, do they tell you anything?
      07-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #49
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP e92 335i

anymore news on this? lol reading this makes me nervous for my car!
      07-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #50
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkg37s View Post
anymore news on this? lol reading this makes me nervous for my car!
I hate to say it but it seems like woptang may have chosen the wrong shop to do the install/tune.

With a good shop/tuner there is nothing to be worried about.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #51
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
I hate to say it but it seems like woptang may have chosen the wrong shop to do the install/tune.

With a good shop/tuner there is nothing to be worried about.
Thats the problem! lol My car is at the shop that did his install and is doing the tune!!
      07-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #52
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkg37s View Post
Thats the problem! lol My car is at the shop that did his install and is doing the tune!!
I could be going crazy but alot of people on this forum have suggested Akuma Motorsports as a good tuner. Nick, Im happy with the install of the meth kit that Akuma installed. It just seems as if there are some issues that need to be worked out. If you take a good look at their history, they have nothing but good things said abou them. And being that John(Owner of Akuma) used to be a calibrator for COBB says alot on its own. Its kind of strange people would praise a tuner, then all of the sudden say otherwise.....
      08-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #53
WickedB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Any updates on these tunes? I'm learning a lot from y'all...lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #54
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedB View Post
Any updates on these tunes? I'm learning a lot from y'all...lol.
Well as far as my car goes Ive been working with Richard from Aquamist over the phone. Hes helping me check some things and make sure everything is ok with the meth kit. He suspects a few different things but we have to take it one step at a time. Honestly I dont think its my job to do all this legwork, because I paid Akuma alot of money to do so. But in the end it doesnt seem as if they have the time, nor want to really check anything out. I think theyd rather I do it. THey have sent me a new revised map which I have yet to use because without the meth running correctly, whats the use of a different map. But otherwise my car is running and runs strong. I credit Akuma with pulling a lot of power out of it. But I just need my car running top notch. I did talk to them through email yesterday and they said with these kinds of installs and tunes there are sometimes kinks and things that need to be worked out. Well no response after that. So then Iron my kinks out, get the car in and do something about the kinks. But nah, nothing.