E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Question about BMW Warranties for USA and Canada

03-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
GuRPRizZLE
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Coming Soon!)

Question about BMW Warranties for USA and Canada

Hi guys,

I'm purchasing a one owner 2007 335i Coupé with approximately 39,000 miles on it from Illinois, and I'm importing it into Victoria BC, Canada. The dealer said that there is still a remaining BMW manufacture warranty balance of 11,000 miles left and said that it would be covered in Canada (or even globally) and I just need this verified by someone. I'm too lazy to google it right now and I thought I would finally post on this forum too :P

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuRPRizZLE View Post
Hi guys,

I'm purchasing a one owner 2007 335i Coupé with approximately 39,000 miles on it from Illinois, and I'm importing it into Victoria BC, Canada. The dealer said that there is still a remaining BMW manufacture warranty balance of 11,000 miles left and said that it would be covered in Canada (or even globally) and I just need this verified by someone. I'm too lazy to google it right now and I thought I would finally post on this forum too :P

Thanks!
I wouldn't rely on anyone here. Call BMWNA and confirm.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
GuRPRizZLE
Canada
Rep

Sounds good. I'll definitely call them and add their answer to this thread later.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
reckhard
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

I imported a US 3 Series to Canada a couple of years ago and yes the warranty is good in Canada. That said I hope you've looked into the whole BMW import procedure. When I did it there were a couple of things I needed to get from BMW Canada, a letter of admissibility and a recall clearance letter. They charge a lot for these and to get the recall clearance letter you need to take it to bmw to have them change the programming which they say requires a new instrument cluster. The net of it is that unless you're creative in obtaining these forms outside official channels you'll need to pay BMW Canada a couple grand. This is in addition to GST and duty (because the car is made in Germany), RIV fees and provincial inspection. That said I still paid a lot less by importing my car from the US. Unfortunately BMW Canada's unethical practices left a pretty bad impression.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
GuRPRizZLE
Canada
Rep

Thanks Reckhard for the information. I have looked into all of the fees and I actually have a dealer here in Victoria, BC, that can complete the whole importing process for 5% of the vehicles base price. With that said I won't have to worry about anything except paying for the vehicle, and picking it up from the dealer in Victoria. After GST, PST and the importing fees buying from the US, I'll still be paying less then buying a similar BMW 335i from Canada - before taxes. I could import it on my own but I never have done anything like this (I'm actually 17 years old) and I want the car before the month of April begins without delays. That does mean I still have three weeks which is more then enough, however I'll be going for Vacation to Florida (mostly Fort Lauderdale) from March 14th till the 25th, therefore I would never be able to do it in time. I'm extremely stoked for this car especially because this is my first car, and that I will be paying for it (well not entirely true, my parents are pitching in $5000 because it is my first car). Oh, ha, not to mention it is a BMW 335i COUPE! I've been doing my fair share of research on this car for almost 8 months now and I know this is the one I would love to start with!

I actually called Victoria BMW over here in Canada, and surprisingly enough the warranty is still valid until August 28/2011 (purchased/registered August 28/2007) or 11,000 more miles (whichever comes first) Thanks for the replies, I'm really looking forward to own a Bimmer and being a part of this great forum!

Last edited by GuRPRizZLE; 03-07-2011 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0