Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > storing / changing tires

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #1
saosinned
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 325i (e92 335 ordered)

storing / changing tires

Could only find one dead thread on this topic and it didn't really answer the questions I have (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6678).

Can you safely store tires (the rubber part) that are not on wheels? I'm getting an e92 with the sport package and it will arrive with the summer tires in november in chicago, I'm trying to plan ahead for this.

I'd like to NOT have to buy separate wheels for the all season tires I plan on purchasing (I like the 189 style and I'd obviously only use one set at a time), so is there any disadvantage to (a) storing tires that are not on wheels or (b) switching tires on and off of wheels to storage and back every 6 months? It doesn't seem like either would be a good thing to do...

Thanks, sorry for the dumb questions here.

(Ordered 6/22/07) 335i coupe / Titanium Silver / Coral Red / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Navigation / Heated Seats / iPod
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

I would simply buy an addition set of 189s for winter use mounted with winter tires, OR buy a nice set of after market rubber and wheels for the Summer months, and mount some quality all season or winter tires on the OEM wheels.

Don't believe storing tires off the rim is a big deal, but mounting and remounting would be a huge PITA and with the TPMS and such could get pricey as well.

Should be able to find some OEM wheels here for cheap or check out the replicas most are very inexpensive.
      08-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Just don't sore the tires in direct sunlight and you'll be ok. The tires will last a long time if stored in a garage, away from the elements.

If you want you could remount and dismount the tires every 6 mo. or so, its not too big of hassle. But a 2nd set of wheels is really much easier.
      08-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
saosinned
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 325i (e92 335 ordered)

Thanks for the info. I guess another option would be to simply stick with the all-seasons and sell the summer performance tires. Guess I'll do some searching for info on selling the summer tires and the performance differences between the two (I probably won't make it to a track anytime soon, sadly).

(Ordered 6/22/07) 335i coupe / Titanium Silver / Coral Red / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Navigation / Heated Seats / iPod
Appreciate 0