E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Stubborn.....

11-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
purespin52
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330xi 6MT

Stubborn.....

hi everyone....i have been washing my wheels with car wash soap and water and cannot seem to get everything out.....i then tried using a wheel cleaner...i have also tried claying and still have some contaminants or dust on the wheel....i would like to apply a sealant but don't want to do so before the wheel is perfectly clean....i don't know what kind of polish to use on the wheels, and what technique i should use....any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated....

thanks in advance....
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by purespin52 View Post
hi everyone....i have been washing my wheels with car wash soap and water and cannot seem to get everything out.....i then tried using a wheel cleaner...i have also tried claying and still have some contaminants or dust on the wheel....i would like to apply a sealant but don't want to do so before the wheel is perfectly clean....i don't know what kind of polish to use on the wheels, and what technique i should use....any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated....

thanks in advance....
For once I have no advice.

I too am in the same situation. Not with my BBS' but with my winter 156's. I wanted to get them completely clean before winter but a lot of stuff is not coming of the rims. I've tried just washing the rims, using Poorboys Spray & Wash(a powerful wheel cleaner), clay, turtle wax bug & tar remover, and finally scratchX. Nothing has worked. I'm close to giving up. My last plan of attack is spraying too much poorboys S&R, letting it sit for too long, then using a pressure washer.

If I can't get the stuff off I'm simply letting the rims go to shit, they are only winter rims.

Any help would be appreciated as well....

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

I don't know if this will help you guys for exactly what you're talking about, but I had some marks that resembled black scuff marks on a lenolium floor (on my old 162's). I tried clay, wax, as abrasive of a brush I could use without causing any damage....nothing worked. I then tried Griot's "Fine Hand Polish" applied with a foam applicator, and it came right off.

Like I said, I'm not sure if this will help, but maybe some of the pros will chime in.
      11-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
purespin52
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 SG 330xi 6MT

i think i am going to try this stuff.....

http://www.detailedimage.com/P21S-M1...-Restorer-P85/

the description seems like it would work....but who knows....

maybe George from Detailed Image can chime in and let us know if this is the right product for our needs
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2007, 11:54 PM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
I pulled out my winter wheels from storage, washed them the other day, and all of them have brake dust that just won't come off with washing and claying. Some are worse than others, it looks like a cheetah's spots or something on there.

I was going to go out and buy some acidic wheel cleaner tomorrow, but I'm disheartened to read that it hasn't worked for you guys. Maybe I'll try to find some abrasive polish while I'm out. I was thinking of trying Scratch-X, but it looks like that didn't work for darkcloud.

Bummer. If anyone can find something that works, post it. If I can figure it out, I'll post my solution, too.

I have a feeling that when I take off my 162s, they'll have similar stuff on there, and I'd like to have this problem solved so I can clean them fully before putting them away for the winter.
      11-24-2007, 12:07 AM   #6
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/p21-105g.html
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 01:54 AM   #7
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Buff it out. Get the mothers weel buffer and make sure its lubed up good so u dont scratch anything. All u have to do is hook it up to a powerdrill and call it a day.
problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #8
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

only solution to clean rims is getting the replacements with less dust...plain and simple...its clean and stops just as the Oem if not better...thats my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2007, 08:49 PM   #9
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
It's done. My winter wheels now look (almost) good as new.

NOTHING was working. I washed, clayed, used the OEM caustic wheel cleaner and agitated it with a brush, etc. Eventually, I had to use abrasive rubbing compound. That worked, though. I did it by hand with a foam pad.

I wouldn't recommend this as a first or even second choice, since you are essentially sanding away clear coat or paint. But if you have stains like I did, it may be the only thing that works for you. I seriously doubt anyone has worse staining than I did! My interior rims were like leopard skin, they were so spotty, and that's no exaggeration. So if it worked for me, it's pretty much guaranteed to work for you.

They look good. I didn't rub so much that I burned through the paint (that I could see). I also got Wheel Wax that I'll use right before I put them on, and I hope that helps prevent having to do this again next year.