E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Please Help !! Bird poop

07-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
mmullaly
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Please Help !! Bird poop

On my way home from work today, I noticed my hood was bombarded with bird crap. When I got home, I grabbed a wet rag and tried to remove it. After it was gone and I dried the spots off, I noticed that the clear coat was scatched to hell. The scatches look like someone keyed my hood. How the hell is that possible from just wiping off bird crap. I've owned many cars and have never seen this happen. I have Black Saphire paint. This isn't the paint job I expected for a 45K + car. The clear coat should be thicker than my... well you get the point. WTF can I do, to remove these gouges in my hood ????
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
wvtlo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

There is so much shit in bird shit. It could've been anything that scratched it. It's always best to get a hot paper towel and lay it over the spot. That softens everything up for hopefully a clean wipe.

Anyway, try some Mequire's Scratch X. I had a LARGE amount of crap on my trunk/back bumper last week and it seemed to work ok. I was using the Scratch X for the 'etching' bird crap leaves. My car had been sitting out in 90+ degree heat and just baked it in. I didn't get it all out, but it's better.

Good luck.
      07-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Best to moisten the area and wash off versus trying to wipe off initially to minimize and scratching. I fucking hate birds for this very reason.
      07-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Bird s**t is freaking wicked stuff and very acidic. Some bird species even use sand in their digestive tract to help "process" their food. What kind of rag did you use? That may have contributed some.

These can very easily be buffed out and Scratch X is some of the best stuff as previously suggested. Don't worry - it can be perfectly restored.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I have used Griots Fine Hand Polish for turd etching. It works unbelievably well, and isn't that abrasive. A lot of the scrtch remover products sold at the large neighborhood autoparts chains are very abrasive, and you'll need to buff the spots out with numerous coats of wax afterwards.

A coat of wax should follow anything you choose to do to even out the finish anyway.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
ctgazer
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: a dilapidated ride

Garage List
2006 e90  [0.00]
best thing to do is to get it off right away...try soaking some napkins or a rag or a micro-fiber towel...warm water is best and let it sit on the crap for a couple mins...after it gets soft, rinse the crap off with more warm water..continue to soak with rag and rinse off with water. do not try to rub off the crap as it will scratch from the ingredients in the poopie...continue with this technique until you the uncleanliness has been removed...i always use this method and it has worked...

also, if you see that there is bird poopie on your car, avoid parking in the sun...if you are away from home or office, take some toilet paper and soak it in water. sit it on the poopie and let it soften and rinse..
      07-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #7
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Invest in a porter cable random orbital buffer. Order some ZPC from Zaino store and some polishing foam pads from Amazon.
Then, go to this site and watch the how-to video files on removing swirl marks...

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/

It is very easy to do and your hood will look brand new again.

Don't take it to a random detailer. Some of them don't know what they are doing and will end up ruining your car.
You might want to read my previous posting on how I was able to fix up my car after a detailer #$%^ed up the hood.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17327
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2006, 06:46 AM   #8
bmwexecutive
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

About a month ago I had a massive bird dump right above the driver side door about two inches left of the B-pillar. I took a paper towel and got the actual crap off and then used some Zaino Z-6 and a Microfiber cloth and got everything off. Looked perfect.
Appreciate 0