E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Lone Star Chapter HPDE 4/30-5/1

05-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Lone Star Chapter HPDE 4/30-5/1

Hey all -

I just did my first high performance DE event through the Lone Star Chapter of the BMW CCA. The event was held at MotorSport Ranch in Cresson, TX. We used the 1.7 mile circuit, counter-clockwise.

This was my first time ever on a track, and I showed up with my daily driver setup. I'm driving an '07 E92 335i that didn't come with the factory oil cooler.

Track temps on the first day were quite hot, but I only managed to hit limp mode on my last track session toward the very end - I pulled off with about 2 laps remaining. Otherwise, the car was strong. My Hankooks held up great on the first day, but we had rain on day 2 and I really struggled on the wet.

Anyway, it was a great experience. It definitely won't be my last time on a track. Here are some photos and videos from the weekend. You might notice my GoPro mounted on the front...it gave some wicked views

Here are some of my day 1 highlights:

Here's a side-by-side I put together from day 2. The rain had dried a little for this run, but all the rest of our runs on day 2 were super slick!

05-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
stltri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i M-Sport

Cool videos! What was your resolution setting on the gopro? Also, how did you mount the in-car view? The side by side provided good perspective.. I use iMovie on the Mac and it's so slow in processing the videos!!

Your audio was also cleaner, did you edit the sound or used the waterproof cover?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
acj75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stltri View Post
Cool videos! What was your resolution setting on the gopro? Also, how did you mount the in-car view? The side by side provided good perspective.. I use iMovie on the Mac and it's so slow in processing the videos!!

Your audio was also cleaner, did you edit the sound or used the waterproof cover?
Thanks man! I always use r5 on the GoPro which is 1080p. The in-car view was mounted upside down using the suction mount attached to my sunroof. I'm using Nero Premium HD for my editing, but yeah, it takes a very long time to process and export the files once you've edited it. I like the Nero software because it has picture-in-picture functionality which is what I used for the side-by-side video.

I was using the fully enclosed case the whole weekend, inside and outside the car, and it seemed to still get pretty decent audio.
      05-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
stltri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i M-Sport

r5?? wow! you must have a huge memory card to accomodate the videos. Uploading to youtube must take forever!!

Yeah, will try the closed lid, I'm surprised it picks up good audio despite the watertight case!
Appreciate 0