E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > tested my new E92 328xi in the snow!!!

01-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
jerflash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi/2002 ws6

tested my new E92 328xi in the snow!!!

here on long island we got hit pretty hard. after snow blowing the snow in my yard i took the xi for a spin and i have to say even with the stock contiprocontact ssr tires this thing is a beast. tried out all the different traction modes. i DSC on driving around, stopping and taking corners...staying on the road is cake even in snow up to the door frames. with DSC off but DTC on the car made its way though the deeper stuff more easily cause of the extra wheels spin but still had a planted feeling. Now with all traction completely off this thing is a blast. drifting it in the snow and still staying in control is awesome. i will never be without an AWD car in the north east again...and it will most probably be a BMW ;-). I just picker her up yesterday and its already paying off...im in love!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Enjoy your car and drive safe, but have fun!

You should see what it does with dedicated winter tires, it's even better than you'd believe.
      01-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Jake335xi
Jake335xi
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerflash View Post
here on long island we got hit pretty hard. after snow blowing the snow in my yard i took the xi for a spin and i have to say even with the stock contiprocontact ssr tires this thing is a beast. tried out all the different traction modes. i DSC on driving around, stopping and taking corners...staying on the road is cake even in snow up to the door frames. with DSC off but DTC on the car made its way though the deeper stuff more easily cause of the extra wheels spin but still had a planted feeling. Now with all traction completely off this thing is a blast. drifting it in the snow and still staying in control is awesome. i will never be without an AWD car in the north east again...and it will most probably be a BMW ;-). I just picker her up yesterday and its already paying off...im in love!!
I hear you man. As a Canadian we know all about the "joys" of winter driving.
This is my first winter with my 335xi and man is it fantastic! I feel more sure footed in my bimmer than I do driving my girlfriend's 4X4 Toyota Tacoma.
I haven't tried testing turning the DSC off yet, I may have to experiment soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake335xi View Post
I hear you man. As a Canadian we know all about the "joys" of winter driving.
This is my first winter with my 335xi and man is it fantastic! I feel more sure footed in my bimmer than I do driving my girlfriend's 4X4 Toyota Tacoma.
I haven't tried testing turning the DSC off yet, I may have to experiment soon.
Interesting. If you drive even slightly aggressively you may want to have the DTC on, otherwise, if you take a corner and slide...the traction control cuts power to the engine, and you just keep sliding, you can't power yourself out of the slide.

For know, DTC on is good if you're driving aggressively; if being cautious, all traction on is fine, you shouldn't be sliding anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
mjm22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

I did the same thing out here in the snow ... the A/S tires worked great. I had my summer tires on during the first storm and the car was undriveable.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
rbocc13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 3281 Xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 xi  [0.00]
cant beat all seasons

All seasons get a bad rap but havent had a problem with them in snow or taking exit ramps at double the posted speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
Jake335xi
Jake335xi
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Interesting. If you drive even slightly aggressively you may want to have the DTC on, otherwise, if you take a corner and slide...the traction control cuts power to the engine, and you just keep sliding, you can't power yourself out of the slide.

For know, DTC on is good if you're driving aggressively; if being cautious, all traction on is fine, you shouldn't be sliding anyways.
I do keep the DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) on, DTC on is the default mode with Xdrive. I was talking about turning the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) off thereby throwing more torque to the rear. Usually you turn it off in situations such as starting on a hill or rocking the vehicle in the event of getting stuck.

However turning off the DSC also adds a bit of excitement to the drive. The dealer told me the only other time to turn it off was if you planned to race at a track...which I'm thinking I just might do.

E92 335xi MSport Coupe - Dinan Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
jerflash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi/2002 ws6

you have it backwards dsc is the standard mode. then with you push the button you turn off dsc and just have dtc. then hold the button in for 3 seconds and everythign turns off
      01-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #9
bluefly
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i + NB miata

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/dynamic_traction_control.html
Appreciate 0