E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Thoughts on this "vibration" issue in my car?

10-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Thoughts on this "vibration" issue in my car?

E90 xdrive, KW V1, stock 18" wheels.

V1s have been on about 6k miles. I have a vibration or a chatter that is situational. It is up and down as opposed to left and right. No steering wheel left to right vibration. It's more of a trembling, you feel it in the column and the dash vibrates a little.

I can drive around all day up to 50 MPH main streets and surface roads and no issue. On the highway at 70MPH or so I get this feeling I'm trying to describe. **The smoother the asphalt, the more you notice the issue.**

I'm thinking of sending it in for alignment and road force balance as a starting point. Eliminate anything out of whack or a bent wheel.

Any thoughts on what I've described?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

what's the tire situation? sounds like tires, either defective or balance issue, or bent rim.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Tires are new last year at this time. 12k miles or so on them.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

i think i am having the same issue too... is it like the car is shivering for half a second..? does it happen in reverse more than it does going forward..? does it do more doing a left turn..?

That would be me.. although i properly inflated the tires the other day and i haven't had it since...

do this... on a flat asphalt surface and without moving the car

turn the wheel all the way to the left and slowly turn the wheel all the way to right.... feel the wheel for anything that might seem unusual throughout the different degrees of turning... in my case i noticed something really weird almost at the very end of the turn to the right side. At that wierd position i kept going back and forth slightly and slowly on the wheel to get a better feel for it...

if nothing happened while turning the steering wheel at the speed, repeat the steps but incrementing the speed on which you turn the wheel. Observe and feel and try to replicate it so that if you decide to take it to the dealer you know how to do it then.... good luck and post any updates please..!
Appreciate 0