E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JL Cleansweep, adding another amp & rear deck speakers

10-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
galx999
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535XI M Sport

JL Cleansweep, adding another amp & rear deck speakers

I just finished installing these below. I have or had the 6 speaker base stereo. I should also add that I know just enough to do my own installs, no expert here.

JL Cleansweep grabbing front & underseat signals to a 4 channel amp powering a set of components & pair of sws-8xi's. It's a Musicar kit.

I also replaced the rear decks with a pair of coaxials.

Any advice on how I should go about adding a small amp to power the rear decks? (other than not to power them?)

Y cable off the RCA front signal to the new 2 channel amp? Get a CL-SSI? Power the rears with the current amp & use the new amp for the subs? Use the MS-8 chillin' in my dining room that I'm selling?

I assume my "Gong" would get louder with another 100w in the rear?
      10-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcix View Post
I just finished installing these below. I have or had the 6 speaker base stereo. I should also add that I know just enough to do my own installs, no expert here.

JL Cleansweep grabbing front & underseat signals to a 4 channel amp powering a set of components & pair of sws-8xi's. It's a Musicar kit.

Any advice on how I should go about adding a small amp to power the rear decks? (other than not to power them?)

Y cable off the RCA front signal to the new 2 channel amp? Get a CL-SSI? Power the rears with the current amp & use the new amp for the subs? Use the MS-8 chillin' in my dining room that I'm selling?

A little confusing...here's why:

The base stereo does not have a "separate" feed for the front mids and woofers. They are wired in parallel. The front signal is passed to the mids from the underseat connection point.

If VP-E made you a harness then you are good to go. That harness grabs the signal immediately prior to underseats and then amps it and splits it back to the underseats and mids.

As far as the rear deck, I honestly would NOT power them. What amp/speakers do you have in the front stage? Rear?

You can achieve same effect by getting a louder rear speaker if you really want to. The DLS 424 is best for that application, with a few more options also.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcix View Post

Your gong comes out of the fronts, not the rears, usually.

The harness you got from us was probably the underseat-to-CleanSweep harness, which only "grabs" the front channels (the underseats and fronts are the same output channel from the head unit). When we are upgrading the rears from the get-go, we use the head-unit Stereo harness from Technic and that gets us F and R. Requires HU removal though.

I don't know how long ago you got it, but if it was pretty recently, we could swap you the JL 6-channel for the Arc 4-channel and you could make it sound fine, but have no fade. Using the new harness and the 6-channel would get you fade. We can supply you with a new harness that will plug into the CL441DSP if you like...

Do NOT buy an SSI, won't help.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
galx999
Private
United_States
Rep

thanks for the replies!

yes, the harness i have grabs the underseat signal through factory plugs. if i could avoid it, i'd rather not tear the dash apart to install a new harness, but i might.

i only have one amp, an arc mini 125.4, & components are morel dotechs.

i did replace the rears with a set of coaxials with higher sensitivity, infiniti kappa 42.9i's. this wasn't part of the kit as you already know.

honestly, the reason i'm pondering this idea is because i had some passengers in my back seat recently & one asked to turn the bass down and the other told me to check my connections in the rear because the rears aren't playing any sound. this made me laugh a bit since amp gain is all the way down & bass is set just couple licks past center. no complaints obviously from me or the front passenger. it sounds damn good now though. my friends with their logic7's now think their audio could use some improvement.

i just finished the install a day prior to my original post date. this new harness that would get me fade with the 6ch amp, i assume that the dash needs to come out? or can you make an add-on harness to what i already installed? if you could pm me some prices & swap options, i would appreciate it.

i guess y-cable off the front rca's into a cheaper amp isn't a good idea? would it ruin the sound stage even with lower power?

thanks again
      10-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

The DLS would be 4dB louder. Might be just enough to make your rear seat pax happy without throwing off your front stage
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yes, if you like how it sounds from the driver's seat, and are only considering rears for the rears-eat occupant's whining you mention, then adding rears without the ability to fade them out is going to degrade the front-seat stage.

If you wanted to do a lot of wire routing from the rear deck to the trunk, we can extend the rear speaker wires from the stock locations down to the CleanSweep and then you could use the 6-channel amplifier in place of the 4.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
theg00se
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Hi all, this thread covers pretty much every thing i'm thinking of doing myself. if i take the feed from under seats to the cleansweep then take a separate feed from the rears (tricky i know) to the cleansweep i will then maintain the fading ability through my head unit but how do i then arrange the wiring so that i have feeds to an amp for the front door, under seat mids and rear speakers.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by theg00se
Hi all, this thread covers pretty much every thing i'm thinking of doing myself. if i take the feed from under seats to the cleansweep then take a separate feed from the rears (tricky i know) to the cleansweep i will then maintain the fading ability through my head unit but how do i then arrange the wiring so that i have feeds to an amp for the front door, under seat mids and rear speakers.
Get Technic harness and it will make your life easy.
Even if I make one for you, it will nearly cost the same as Technics sell them for.
If you still want to do what you have asked, then you will have to run new wirings to all of your drivers.
      10-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
galx999
Private
United_States
Rep

wait a minute, base audio rear deck signals, i remember this being high passed at x hz. is CleanSweep able to convert the signal to full range after it's filtered by the HU?

if the impending answer is "no", would this mean that we should forget about having fade?

if the rear deck signal is indeed high passed, let's just say at 120hz, what should be stopping me from grabbing the rear channels into high level inputs of a small 2 channel amp to power my coaxials? (since i prob shouldn't be pushing the 4" coaxes much below that anyways) fade would be retained in this case. is the rear signal as screwy as the front ones from the factory HU in addition to being high passed?

or let's say that i hook up the rears to CL441DSP to the JL XD600/6 in 4-channel input mode. would the XD merge F/R signal & distribute to all 6 channels? making it possible to get full sound & retain the fade function?

i apologize if any of this sound like crazy talk.
      10-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Here's the deal. The Clean Sweep on its own doesn't restore full-range magically. Nothing does, BTW. But who cares? Just run the rear high-passed signal into the CleanSweep rear inputs, and ignore the orange "I didn't succeed at full-range" light, and it works fine - because your rear speakers shouldn't be running full-range anyway.

Yes, the rear signal is wacky. And if you dare say "well, it doesn't matter, it's just rears", then I will reply with "THEN WHY ARE YOU UPGRADING THEM?" in 50-foot-tall type.

[IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
galx999
Private
United_States
Rep

oh, i see. thanks for the graph.
your input is appreciated & i'll be ignoring the orange.