E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Can't have nice things...

05-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #23
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
I know what it feels like all so well. Twats - fucking twats. Feel for you mate. Hope you get it all sorted out.
      05-29-2010, 11:13 AM   #24
EddieL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport

Terrible news mate.

We got done while on holiday and came back to a mess. Dealing with the loss adjuster was worse and the guy treated us like criminals assuming we were exagerating/lying/complicit. He gave us false information saying we weren't covered for items which we were and then delayed paying out while they carried out 'further investigations'. In the end we said 'Look, accuse us of something or pay out'

One example which may relate to your wife's costume jewllery was the fact that I estimated around 50 DVDs and a similar amount of CDs were missing, which I assume most people couldn't name all CDs in their collections. He said this wasn't acceptable and I would have to itemise all of them by name. I'm glad he did because when I finished over 75 each were gone.

Police were no better. Here's a crime number, see your insurance.

You will find things missing weeks from now when you next go to get them. It wasn't till I went to cut some bread that I noticed an 8" bread knife was missing. I called the cops right away to let them know. They said 'just tell your insurance'. I said but if anyone is arrested carrying such a weapon there will be a good chance he broke into my house.

The reply? Oh yeah, that's quite good. Have you ever thought about joining the police. Sarcastic prick.
      05-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #25
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieL View Post
Terrible news mate.

We got done while on holiday and came back to a mess. Dealing with the loss adjuster was worse and the guy treated us like criminals assuming we were exagerating/lying/complicit. He gave us false information saying we weren't covered for items which we were and then delayed paying out while they carried out 'further investigations'. In the end we said 'Look, accuse us of something or pay out'

One example which may relate to your wife's costume jewllery was the fact that I estimated around 50 DVDs and a similar amount of CDs were missing, which I assume most people couldn't name all CDs in their collections. He said this wasn't acceptable and I would have to itemise all of them by name. I'm glad he did because when I finished over 75 each were gone.

Police were no better. Here's a crime number, see your insurance.

You will find things missing weeks from now when you next go to get them. It wasn't till I went to cut some bread that I noticed an 8" bread knife was missing. I called the cops right away to let them know. They said 'just tell your insurance'. I said but if anyone is arrested carrying such a weapon there will be a good chance he broke into my house.

The reply? Oh yeah, that's quite good. Have you ever thought about joining the police. Sarcastic prick.
Unbelievable. The old 5-0 have told us that when we compile the list of what's missing to be as complete as possible as if we try to add items further down the line then the insurance company might be (even) less willing to pay up!!!

It's ridiculous, we will just be honest and we do indeed have some pictures etc of some of the things so hopefully that will go in our favour.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #26
flyfs6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

That's BS from the 5. Even our loss adjuster said it's difficult to work out right away what's missing. I think you'll be fine even if you weren't able to list everything in the list to the police.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #27
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Feel for you mate, same thing happened to me last month.

The anger will subside and things will get back to normal - I know it's easier said than done, but keep your spirit up and don't let the fcukers get you down.
      05-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #28
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfs6 View Post
That's BS from the 5. Even our loss adjuster said it's difficult to work out right away what's missing. I think you'll be fine even if you weren't able to list everything in the list to the police.
That's good to know mate, cheers.

Had the local "Safer Neighbourhoods"/PCSO come over today and he said there's been a spate of it in the area (i.e. Redbrdige/Ilford etc). Particularly targetting houses with nice cars or "ethnic" families where there's likely to be the usual wedding jewellery etc. With the amount of asians in the area, there's plenty of homes to choose from for these bastards!

Might be worth giving anyone you know in the area a heads up as to what's going on. Especially if they've had the dodgy "knock at the door" antics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
Feel for you mate, same thing happened to me last month.

The anger will subside and things will get back to normal - I know it's easier said than done, but keep your spirit up and don't let the fcukers get you down.
Trying not to mate, missus is less upset today and we're just getting the house sorted out again.

@everyone:

Secure your home BEFORE it's too late...I've learned the hard way!! Doing things in retrospect is just horrible. Too many shoulda/woulda/coulda thoughts. With it being a Bank Holiday I'm struggling a bit but come next week there's gonna be all sorts going up on my place. Options being considered:

1. Intruder alarm - a definite
2. CCTV - almost a definite
3. Small wall to secure/obstruct access - cheap, so why not?
4. Driveway security post (maybe even an RF controlled electric one that rises out of the ground?!)
5. New internal doors with deadlocks, so even if someone can get into the kitchen or the hallway they wont be able to (easily/quickly) gain access to the rest of the house/individual rooms - this sounds a bit extreme but I'm seriously considering it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #29
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

feel for you toxic. nightmare.
      05-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #30
simples
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
That's good to know mate, cheers.

1. Intruder alarm - a definite
2. CCTV - almost a definite
3. Small wall to secure/obstruct access - cheap, so why not?
4. Driveway security post (maybe even an RF controlled electric one that rises out of the ground?!)
5. New internal doors with deadlocks, so even if someone can get into the kitchen or the hallway they wont be able to (easily/quickly) gain access to the rest of the house/individual rooms - this sounds a bit extreme but I'm seriously considering it.
is your window glazing of the newer type? when i got done over a few years back, seperate to last years attempt, the thiefing bastard got in through a back window. the older glazing can easily be popped open because the beading is on the outside, newer glazing now has this on the inside making it impossible to take the glass out. well when the insur company sent their ppl round to fix the damage they glued in the window so that it cant be popped out. if u have this type of glazing i strongly recommend you get this done. when they come round to fix your broken window. All the ground floor windows.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #31
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

Ever considered a safe mate? We had one put in the new house, and use it to keep spare keys/jewelry/passports etc.

It's all biometric and there's no way in hell anyone could move it. All bolted to an outside wall and the floor. Not cheap, but certainly worth it imo...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #32
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Bad luck chap. Get your place protected and don't let the fuckers get you down (too much).
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #33
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Really sorry to here about the breakin and hope you get things sorted. Regarding security, have you thought about a dog. We were broken into during the night and my dog both woke us up and scared them off. Obviously depends on if you like dogs or not but just a thought?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #34
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

I'm trying to convince the missus a Doberman or Alsatian is the way forwad but she's having none of it, she's not an animal fan and dogs make her uneasy.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #35
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Alarm FTW, have you seen the amount of shit dogs like the above produce????

Not for me I'm afraid.
      05-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #36
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Alarm FTW, have you seen the amount of shit dogs like the above produce????

Not for me I'm afraid.

haha! She did say she wouldnt be cleaning up after the dog!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #37
Hairyarse
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330d M Sport Auto

Only just picked up on this thread mate, sorry to hear but glad you and your wife are ok and were out at the time.

Some thieving scum tried to steal my mates R32 of his drive in broad daylight! Did about £1100 damage and really shook his wife up as she was alone. He's now installing CCTV

They're scum with no respect for anything or anyone, hope they get what they deserve

Andy
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #38
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
haha! She did say she wouldnt be cleaning up after the dog!
Let alone a scared dog, have you seen the mess they make? You won't be picking that up, just washing it away!!
      05-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #39
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Alsatian worked for me. Got a Weimaraner now. You do get discount off your insurance. Each to their own though. In my experience no one pays attention to alarms but the guy sure noticed the dog running after him!!
Appreciate 0