E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Cleaning brake hubs and calipers

11-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
blackdragon12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i xDrive

Cleaning brake hubs and calipers

So this weekend I'll be putting on my winters and want to take the chance to clean my brake area. The hubs are a bit rusty and the calipers need a nice cleaning as well. What tools do I require for this? I have been told to get some Sandpaper and probably a wire brush to get rid of the rust, and then use caliper paint to paint over the caliper and hubs.

Has anyone does this on their car? Any suggestions?
2012 e92 335i xDrive | Purchased Sept. 27/14 @ 46000km | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Carbon Fibre Aluminum Trim | M-Sport Package | Executive Package | Connected Technology Package | M-Sport Rims w/ RFT | CPO Warranty until April 2018/160k

Follow me on Instagram for daily pics! @nick.335i
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

There is a DIY around here somewhere for that. Clean, paint, winters.

I'm in Cali, so I *THINK* I understand what winters are. Maybe a better choice for you would be to wait until the winters come OFF, then you have a chance to brush up on the DIY and be ready for the nice rims to go back all clean and shiny.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #3
blackdragon12
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
There is a DIY around here somewhere for that. Clean, paint, winters.

I'm in Cali, so I *THINK* I understand what winters are. Maybe a better choice for you would be to wait until the winters come OFF, then you have a chance to brush up on the DIY and be ready for the nice rims to go back all clean and shiny.
Haha. I actually bought a set of M5 replicas for the winter (got a good deal with tire package) so I will be using those.. only thing is with these M5 rims, you can see the caliper and hub easier.. so I wanted to just clean it up. I will do it again when I put the summers back on next spring of course.

Ill check out the DIY, thanks!
2012 e92 335i xDrive | Purchased Sept. 27/14 @ 46000km | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Carbon Fibre Aluminum Trim | M-Sport Package | Executive Package | Connected Technology Package | M-Sport Rims w/ RFT | CPO Warranty until April 2018/160k

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
blackdragon12
Private First Class
Rep

Just an update - I did this over the weekend:

I used a paper towel and wiped off any dirt first. Then I used sandpaper and sanded down as much rust as possible and made it a smooth finish. Finally wiped it off again with a paper towel.

For the most part, it came out good. I did rush some spots so the paint didnt stick as well, but lesson learned. When I swap to my summers next year I might redo this.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
320i_Beemer
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 07 320i E90 Executive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon12
So this weekend I'll be putting on my winters and want to take the chance to clean my brake area. The hubs are a bit rusty and the calipers need a nice cleaning as well. What tools do I require for this? I have been told to get some Sandpaper and probably a wire brush to get rid of the rust, and then use caliper paint to paint over the caliper and hubs.

Has anyone does this on their car? Any suggestions?
Yes you need sandpaper, wire brush, brake cleaner and or a air pressure hose to blow any dust.

Painting calliper: i would suggest to take it off the brake and hang it up, mask off the rest due to overspray.
Appreciate 0