E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Earthquake SWS 8 & spacers

12-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Earthquake SWS 8 & spacers

Apologies if this has been posted before. I have a 2008 E92 and from my research anyone that has fitted these subs into the standard enclosure has used spacers - one that goes under the sub and the other under the grill

When I took my old subs out of the enclosure and put the sws 8 in they dropped in fine without spacers? I did not have file down the fins in the enclosures
I made some spacers out of 16mm mdf for the grill but when I bolted the seat back on the electronic wires under the seat where rubbing tightly against the grill. I presume I can get away with 12mm or less thickness mdf

At the moment I have left the grill off but the carpet is rubbing slightly but not too much

Is the e92 the seat lot lower than e90?When I looked when standard subs were in there isnt much room under the seat?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
afsar
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d

Slightly off topic but how is it sounding compared to your previous underseats?
      12-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
djbordie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 323i

they sound fucking amazing dude.

as for the spacers, you wanted a spacer so the sub doesnt bounce off the bottom of the enclosure, and of course the top spacer is so it doesnt bounce off the grill.
I didnt have to file the fins either, as i didnt have any fins in my 2011 e90.

as for the top spacer, im not sure. 16mm is fucking tiny. i used 1/2" acrylic for my first try and it wasnt tall enough. However i have plenty of room between that and the seat rails. So i need to use 3/4" next time. For now the carpet is folded in and out of the way and left them open.

I cant chime in on e92 vs e90 seats though.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Afsar - ive not had a proper listen i have fitted them need to set gain again and not had chance

With the spacer im sure the e92 has shallow depth i will try to take pic
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Jus thought I update this thread, originally I installed these as a rush job but had a little bit more time today to take them out and re do them.

Originally I had just screwed them down into the enclosure and did not block up the connector block (left if open). i spent over a week adjusting my settings on my amp (jl xd 400/4) and they just did not sound right, it did not hit the low notes like my Logic 7 subs and was wondering why other people where givng them great reviews.

Attempt number 2 - I took out the sub and sound proofed the enclosure, used the spacer provided kindly by Afsar. I used silicone sealent to seal all the way around and the connector block and re fitted. did the same on the other side and re tuned my amp and wow it is totally different, huge improvement over the L7 subs and being able to hit the lower notes that previously were not heard.

Just got the grill to refit now as I ran out of time but I have ended up using 6mm thickness maybe if I can get away with 12mm but will report back.

On another note do these eartquake subs are suited closly matched to amp that provides 150w rms or can they handle a bit more?
At the moment I am ony powering these at 75w rms each but will add a 2nd amp for the subs only
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
afsar
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40d

Good man, if all working great please leave me positive iTrader review

I am glad it is all working for you. Effort put on spacer is not waste now. I would recommend using PDX-4.150 which serves really well for PDX + door speaker if you ever need. If you have got powerful amp it is even better, it can take upto 200 watt easily as I experienced it. Above 300 it starts to struggle.

Have you seen its cone doing full excursion, I had a chance to check that, it was amazing now nicely it was punching down.