E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > How corrosive is the anti icing spray?

11-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
dzlmoose
Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Trek 7.2, 2001 M5

How corrosive is the anti icing spray?

Is that anti icing stuff they spray on the Toronto roads corrosive for the paint on our cars?

I was driving last night after they sprayed the roads and I have significant residue on my car should I wash it off ASAP?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlmoose View Post
Is that anti icing stuff they spray on the Toronto roads corrosive for the paint on our cars?

I was driving last night after they sprayed the roads and I have significant residue on my car should I wash it off ASAP?

Thanks in advance.
What you see them spray on the roads before a snow storm is a liquid chemical called Calcium Magnesium Acetate.

Allegedly its not corrosive at all. How accurate is that? I guess that depends on the companies selling it to the city's. The companies who supply the chemical claim that it doesn't cause erosion to cars, roads or bridges. Again, its a fairly new chemical so who knows.

It does cost about $650/ton to produce compared to Sodium chloride (conventional road salt) that costs $50/ton.

Someones making lots of money off this stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
onebadmofo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

If temps are above 0 then I'd just spray the car down with garden hose.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlmoose View Post

Thanks in advance.
You should wrap your car in the same vinyl that old people used to put on their couches.
      11-17-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
You should wrap your car in the same vinyl that old people used to put on their couches.
haha your paint will stay crispy smooth.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Lmao ^^

Found this on wiki:

Sodium chloride road salt costs less than $50 per ton to produce but is corrosive to metals in highway structures and increases the concentration of sodium in drinking water which can lead to adverse health effects. Alternative deicing substances have been sought to alleviate these problems. CMA has been found to be an effective deicer and environmentally benign, though its production cost of $650 per ton is much greater than the cost of road salt. Using estimates based on New York State Data, a 1992 report in the Journal of Policy Analysis and Management concluded that $615 per ton would be saved in vehicle corrosion and that $75 per ton would be saved in aesthetic damage to roadside trees if the state highway agencies switched to using CMA as a deicer instead of sodium chloride rock salt, far outweighing its initial production cost. The report also warned that excessive federal subsidization of CMA could encourage its inefficient overuse.

If its "as" corrosive as tap water then you're fine. We wash our cars often enough anyways and you "washing" it off would essentially cause the same effect.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Anything is better than rock salt, which is used majority of the time I'd rather prefer mandatory use of winter tires in Ontario than heavily salted roads that corrode our cars and hurt the environment.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Anything is better than rock salt, which is used majority of the time I'd rather prefer mandatory use of winter tires in Ontario than heavily salted roads that corrode our cars and hurt the environment.
I agree with you. Unfortunately I don't know how safe I would feel with un-salted roads and all those tractor trailors on the highways who don't throw on winter tired and aren't allowed to run with snow chains on in the city.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaginwagon13 View Post
I agree with you. Unfortunately I don't know how safe I would feel with un-salted roads and all those tractor trailors on the highways who don't throw on winter tired and aren't allowed to run with snow chains on in the city.
Yeah, I don't think we could eliminate it's use entirely. Rather, use it sparingly with other alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
The CMA is the alternative. It's been used for years now.

I think the only time the city uses salt is under heavy snow fall. For the most part, people these days use winters.

It should be mandatory, but hey, the little guy can't afford it apparently.
Appreciate 0