E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Kicking the tires....JB4 or Cobb

07-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #23
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

but dont drink it... or sniff it...
cp-e GTX3071R TT kit, cp-e quad exhaust, cp-e fuelbar, Stage 3 LPFP+lines, AEM EFI, Custom Meth kit, Apex EC7 18s w/R888 295s, Stoptech, M3 front, m-sport rear, cp-e difuser, Custom Headlights, CFS Radiator, Custom OC, 1000hp Lvl10 trans, DSS Axles, MFactory LSD, DEFIV lockdown kit, M3 refresh kit, KWv2's, cp-e project "4doorbmwpower"
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #24
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4doorbmwpower View Post
JB4, IMO the support is amazing they are always turning out new things, the OFT came out for 499 and terry has free flash maps thru JB4. Its so competitively priced you can save money and get downpipes also (amazing part) if you dont already have. Also if you want numbers just look at all the record cars that are being powered by JB4! so if you want to go fast go JB4.

Also Meth is safe.. people are just dumb.. its not even flammable when mixed. and is GREAT for your engine.
"Meth is not even flammable when mixed"...please don't spread rumors. I have a few friends locally and dozens more on this platform that I know about personally who had their vehicles go up in flames specifically from methanol and they were utilizing this so called "safe meth mixture" 50/50.

50/50 is flammable it just doesn't ignite nearly as easily as 100% meth mixtures.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #25
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
"Meth is not even flammable when mixed"...please don't spread rumors. I have a few friends locally and dozens more on this platform that I know about personally who had their vehicles go up in flames specifically from methanol and they were utilizing this so called "safe meth mixture" 50/50.

50/50 is flammable it just doesn't ignite nearly as easily as 100% meth mixtures.
Assuming all of them were using WW "kits"? Or crap compression fittings?

IMO meth is relatively safe IF you spend the money up front to make it so. Quality fittings, a quality tank, smart routing, all that good stuff. Basically i'm saying Aquamist

Too often people buy the cheapest kit they can put together then spray away. Those folks are asking for a fire or hydrolock.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #26
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Assuming all of them were using WW "kits"? Or crap compression fittings?

IMO meth is relatively safe IF you spend the money up front to make it so. Quality fittings, a quality tank, smart routing, all that good stuff. Basically i'm saying Aquamist

Too often people buy the cheapest kit they can put together then spray away. Those folks are asking for a fire or hydrolock.
This has nothing to do with cheap or expensive kits. Methanol kits regardless of which one you purchase and regardless of mixture (unless 100% water) have an inherent risk and everyone should be aware of that.

Like I said, I know plenty of locals on different platforms and plenty of guys on this platform that have run into problems. There is ALWAYS a risk. No fittings are bullet proof. No setups are bullet proof. There can always be a design flaw, install error or failure of any component.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #27
jimmer411
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i

From what I understand JB4 has no timing control and only monitors the timing on 1 cylinder. Those are just 2 of the reasons I plan on going with Cobb.
      07-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #28
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer411 View Post
From what I understand JB4 has no timing control and only monitors the timing on 1 cylinder. Those are just 2 of the reasons I plan on going with Cobb.
As of the other day it can monitor all cylinders.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005132
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #29
4doorbmwpower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

I will admit that i mispoke. but not really. Technically by chemical volume YES in order for methanol to become inert to an OPEN FLAME it need to be diluted down to 36% methanol by volume with water. THAT being said this is going off of the actual chemical flashpoint, so where would methanol come in contact with fire or something that hot? i have no idea unless its internal and its supposed to explode in there. Most methanol fires occur when a leaky system is flooding small ammounts of a methanol water mixture somewhere inconspicuous and it builds up over time and the water evaporates, then things become dangerous. Methanol has an auto ignition temperature of
470°C (878°F), this is the tempurature without an open flame that must be present for it to simply burst into flames. where on our engines is anything that hot. turbo side; so WW kits, yeah i do see a problem with that. I am sorry i was not more clear Jeff, but that is not misinformation. In a perfect world methanol is verrrrry safe. That being said you are correct there are a lot of imperfections that add to the difficulty of mitigating the risks of a highly volatile fluid.
cp-e GTX3071R TT kit, cp-e quad exhaust, cp-e fuelbar, Stage 3 LPFP+lines, AEM EFI, Custom Meth kit, Apex EC7 18s w/R888 295s, Stoptech, M3 front, m-sport rear, cp-e difuser, Custom Headlights, CFS Radiator, Custom OC, 1000hp Lvl10 trans, DSS Axles, MFactory LSD, DEFIV lockdown kit, M3 refresh kit, KWv2's, cp-e project "4doorbmwpower"
Appreciate 0