E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i (N55) Update: DCT clutches being replaced

10-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Bmw10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

335i (N55) Update: DCT clutches being replaced

Hi guys posted a few times on the forum tend to browse more
Couple of times I've posted I've mentioned on going issues with idle
and the revs surging between 600-900 rpm and also more recently when coming to a stop the revs would drop to 500rpm and below and the car would want to stall and judder

It's been into Bmw 4 times and it went in again yday I started recording videos of the problems and emailed them to the dealer as evidence the problem exists.
I got a call back today from the dealership saying they have re programmed the DME. I also went on a test drive with the mechanic and the problem was present at first he tried to say that it's normal and the car adapts to keep the cats warm I was like how is the revs dropping to 400-500 rpm normal and that it was not normal as it never existed when I purchased the car. So I asked the dealer did the mechanic admit there was a problem he goes yes yes he seen the videos Etc

Just wondering if anyone has a DME reprogram and did it fix the issue? As this issue is becoming more and more annoying only had the car 5 months

Just to add its a 2010 car with only 18,000 miles on the clock
I was also getting a horrible sound on cold start up they have said they replaced one of the back boxes as the flap was faulty hope that too is sorted

Sorry about the long read just hope someone has something to add or any advice if the problem persists

Pick the car up tomorrow

Last edited by Bmw10; 01-08-2015 at 11:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #2
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
sounds like misfiring?...

any error codes....

reprogramming won't do shit.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
i'd put my money on hpfp and coil/spark/injectors...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Has the symptoms of an IAC problem. The idle air control valve regulates air past the throttle body with no user input ( no gas pedal). The valve lets more air pass as more load is put on the engine. For example, if you turn on the headlights or the Air conditioner and the idle then drops or the engine starts to stall, then the IAC may be faulty or a component of that system may be faulty. It's job is to steady the idle. Ask about it, or suggest it. They could also take a look at the throttle body and find that it is dirty or has a clog right around the edge lip of the flap. Older cars use to have a screw that was adjustable on the throttle body . Now it's electronic. I have read before that some of the E9x M3s had idle issues and the component was replaced and fixed the issue.( idle surge)
      10-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Bmw10
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah it's just getying highly annoying I've taken videos etc forwarded them too the dealership
I'm going to pick it up tomorrow they keep saying they need raw BMW data and there is no error codes etc

I mention what I've read of the Internet and they are like well it's not bmw etc
Just sick of it as I want the car fixing the problem happens once the car is slightly warm however that can change and it happened whenever it wants
But is there on a day to day basis soon as I come to a stop the revs drop

I'll update tomorrow once I've picked the car up
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 04:47 AM   #6
Bmw10
Private First Class
Rep

Little update picked the car up early this morning and been out for the last 40 minutes
Could just be me as I had a 420D courtesy car but the car feels much sharper , faster and responsive but that could just be me

Also up to now I've not had any revs drop or surge they just gradually stop at 600-650 rpm
So fingers crossed it's fixed and I'm glad
However I'll carry on and monitor it as i am not 100% yet
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
What did the dealer do?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Bmw10
Private First Class
Rep

Apparently they re programmed the dme
Also he mentioned something to do with re setting the clutches because of clutch drag and reset the adaptions
Been out for an hour and the revs haven't dropped to and below 500rpm and no surging yet either
But will see how it goes haven't got 100% peace of mind yet as this issue has been going on for months
But it's driving perfect at the moment
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #9
Bmw10
Private First Class
Rep

Okay so the problem is back so annoying has been for a good few weeks

What happens now sometimes the revs will drop below 500 rpm but not as much as before , mainly happens when the car comes to a stop in second gear
Also now when I'm driving and car is in 1st gear but still rolling to a junction and I then pull out the revs instead of going up they will fall down to 500 rpm then back up
Hope this makes sense really don't know what to do
Car has been into Bmw 5 times
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
Bmw10
Private First Class
Rep

So bit of an update got sick of BMW fobbing me of so since Darren woods is down the road I booked it in with them for a diagnosis check
Turns out the gearbox is leaking and they are faulting the gearbox
Which I cannot believe BMW could not fault this it's been in 5 times
To say I'm angry is an understatement been in the dealers this afternoon after picking the car up
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw10 View Post
Apparently they re programmed the dme
Also he mentioned something to do with re setting the clutches because of clutch drag and reset the adaptions
Been out for an hour and the revs haven't dropped to and below 500rpm and no surging yet either
But will see how it goes haven't got 100% peace of mind yet as this issue has been going on for months
But it's driving perfect at the moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw10 View Post
So bit of an update got sick of BMW fobbing me of so since Darren woods is down the road I booked it in with them for a diagnosis check
Turns out the gearbox is leaking and they are faulting the gearbox
Which I cannot believe BMW could not fault this it's been in 5 times
To say I'm angry is an understatement been in the dealers this afternoon after picking the car up
Interesting, missed this thread, but to my mind working within an Indy environment like Darren Woods if you'd of had the car in and re set DME and re set the clutches to do an an adaptive re learn based on the info you'd of given them(low rev instability hunting for instance)if you suspect there's a issue and you've gone to the trouble of resetting something to do with the gear box you'd of had the car 8ft in the air to check the underside to see if you had a leak as leaks provide problems.....Right?

Historically when people report various issues with the sort of symptoms you've stated you've got to look at the rational behind how these things work and historically what can cause the symptoms you've described using previous experiences.

The DME basically talks to the gearbox ECU, which talks to various other control units/ECU's, when you re set the parameters everything returns to square one as the car left the factory, the car will drive as programmed but will adapt to your driving style plus the problem simmering under the surface if there is/was one as it will realise the issue and will play ip again. As you've discovered.

If there's loss of fluid the gearbox is effectively scavenging for fluid that's been lost, it's an easy spot and I suspect Darren Woods adopted the same method as we do in spending a bit of time checking the obvious. And found a leak first time. Also to the best of my knowledge it's not best practice to re set clutches/gearbox adaptations with out ensuring the gearbox itself wasn't leaking. Hence we check.

Chances are while in at BMW the car remained on the deck, with the info in front of them I suspect it was simply driven in, fault data read, re set parameters had the car driven and never at a guess had the car in to the air.

Hence trans fluid loss, was missed, which lets face it is an easy spot and they'd of picked up on it if viewed.

Just my opinion of what may of happened.. Could be wrong but seen this too many times at work to mention.
      12-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
Bmw10
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Steve thanks for the reply it's a shame your not that close to me otherwise I would have popped down to you , as your always posting up threads and generally your work seems amazing

In terms of the gearbox well I've had this problem since day one it's been in 5 times its even had a back box changed as the flap was faulty so that must have required a ramp so how they missed it is beyond me

Darren and one of his workers mentioned something to do with the clutch plate I may have used the wrong terminology he showed me a diagram of the DCT gearbox and how the components are etc which is mounted on to something which I think he said clutch plate he assumes something is wrong with that
He was surprised he's never come across this , and him and 2 of his workers test drove the car and felt the problem I've been stating for months saying if it was his car he would not be happy with it like that

I went straight down to the dealership with his report and let's just say they didn't know what to say or do
Just hope I get it sorted

Maybe sometime in the future I'll pop down to yourself
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #13
Bmw10
Private First Class
Rep

Also to add it happens at different intervals so could be okay and be driving fine then it can be all over the show juddering etc
And in the mornings it's changing into all the wrong gears so in 5th gear at 20-22 mph
Then the car is struggling so it changes back down and up constantly
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
Bmw10
Private First Class
Rep

Update: After Bmw having my car for a week to two weeks and me going in and out since I've had the car about 8 times
They created a puma and sent it to Germany and have been in contact with them over the last few days , just had a call from the service advisor who I normally deal with to say that they recommended them doing an adaption reset however that has been done 2-3 times before and hasn't solved anything.
So they've allowed them to change the clutches which are being ordered from Germany. Just waiting on a call back from the service advisor just to confirm its both clutches and not just one as he said we are replacing the clutch lol

Hoping this solves my problem also speaking to the service manger tomorrow as we went from potential gearbox change if authorised from Germany to clutches either way I'm just hoping it solves my problem
Appreciate 0