E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335i limp mode party at the track

08-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #617
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

What do.you of an e46 M3 for a track csr compared.to the e90's?? Work has been way too crazy for me to look into that side of.the playing field.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #618
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
PeterM1, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Some of our cars, are code throwing queens, from hell. I don't mean to be a dick, but I feel that your procede tune may have caused those problems. Procede, and JB4 are know to cause a lot of those issues.

I can't lie though, because right now I'm going back and forth between staying with my car, and ditching it for an E46 M3.
never had a Procede and the JB4 was off for all but one sessions at the last event. Extra boost wears out the car faster but as you said some cars throw codes left and right.

The hard decision I'm thinking of making involves moving away from BMW for track events and also downgrading my DD, which makes it well...difficult. The 335i is a great DD car except for the 10-15 snow days we get where the car is mostly useless, even with snow tires and an LSD (clearance issues). So I'm thinking of selling the 335, moving to a non-BMW track car (a p-car or a lotus but most likely will end up with a Miata or an S2000), getting a trailer and an SUV as a DD. Upgraded track setup but downgraded DD scenario. I'll play out all the scenarios over the winter and decide what to do next year.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:33 AM   #619
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I can't provide empiric data unfortunately, but here's my update on the oil temp issues as posted in a thread in the N54 engine subforum:

My take on the Oilcoolers:

I have the factory OC and firstly added the AR OC. On the track this setup proved to be pretty much useless. A moderate improvement can be noted, but not enough to push the car consistently, especially with a tune.

So I decided to replace the factory OC with the ER Sports OC (which is basically one half of their Competition Series Setup). And this proved to be a huge improvement! I ran the car on a trackday on the Nürburgring (moderate outside temps), with Procede V5 on map 2, and oil temps would stay below 250

So to me it's clear that the factory OC is a major bottleneck.

About the oil lines: due to an install error a line of the ER OC touched the fan housing. This would shred through the line in no time. But if installed correctly the lines would not touch anything, so the use of nylon or cloth lines is ok. But they're definitely not stronger than stainless steel lines, which I now have in my car.

Again, this only happened because I use both the AR and the ER oilcoolers, which required custom fittings in the end. My shop first tried to use the provided lines and fittings, which required to mount the two adapters (which connect the oil lines to the thermostat housing) one below the other. Consequently there was not enough space to route the lines without touching the fan housing.

Right now I'm really happy with my setup
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 03:10 AM   #620
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Great info regarding meth setup at the track... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570615

Now I need to get mine installed!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #621
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

Ok first track day complete in the 335 AT and man is this car fun. Track was Big Willow 2.5 mile course. Car is stock except for a VR oil Cooler. I was running 75/25 water to coolant with 1 boddle of water wetter. I used Mobile 1 0w-40 diesel truck oil. Also removed the fog light to let more air in to the cooler. Heater on high the whole time.

On the track it was 103 degrees. My oil temps were good considering the outside temps. Hottest I saw was 290 with an average around 280. The first 2 session sucks because the traffic was horrible. The last 2 sessions were fantastic. With all the break downs, crashed cars, and pussies who couldn't handle the heat made the last 2 sessions fantastic. Traffic was very minimal and you got around it with 1 straight away.

Car did go into limp mode of the last 2 sessions. On the back straight I would punch it and it would do nothing. So I would cruise around about half a lap with the ac on and I would be at full power again. Then I would finish off the session, 3-4 laps, without a problem. I checked codes and nothing. Water temps were around 90 degrees C after the cool down lap which is normal. No clue. Unless water got so hot and then cooled down really fast or tranny temp was to hot.

Fastest time on the first session was 1.55. The third session was 1.48. The last session which had no time would be even faster. I was hitting faster speeds on the certain areas so I know I was faster overall.

I burned through an entire tank of gas, 16 gallons and averaged 8.5mpg.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #622
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMissDaisy View Post
Ok first track day complete in the 335 AT and man is this car fun. Track was Big Willow 2.5 mile course. Car is stock except for a VR oil Cooler. I was running 75/25 water to coolant with 1 boddle of water wetter. I used Mobile 1 0w-40 diesel truck oil. Also removed the fog light to let more air in to the cooler. Heater on high the whole time.
What's a VR oil cooler? Do you mean VK motorwerks oil cooler?

Quote:
Car did go into limp mode of the last 2 sessions. On the back straight I would punch it and it would do nothing. So I would cruise around about half a lap with the ac on and I would be at full power again. Then I would finish off the session, 3-4 laps, without a problem. I checked codes and nothing. Water temps were around 90 degrees C after the cool down lap which is normal. No clue. Unless water got so hot and then cooled down really fast or tranny temp was to hot.
Did you see the temp symbol, or did it just say: "engine malfunction, reduced power?"
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #623
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

On the track it was 103 degrees. My oil temps were good considering the outside temps. Hottest I saw was 290 with an average around 280. The first 2 session sucks because the traffic was horrible. The last 2 sessions were fantastic. With all the break downs, crashed cars, and pussies who couldn't handle the heat made the last 2 sessions fantastic. Traffic was very minimal and you got around it with 1 straight away.

Fastest time on the first session was 1.55. The third session was 1.48. The last session which had no time would be even faster. I was hitting faster speeds on the certain areas so I know I was faster overall.

I burned through an entire tank of gas, 16 gallons and averaged 8.5mpg.
props for going out there at 103F ambient.

At 290F oil you were running at reduced power mode regardless of whether you saw any errors but your water temps are too low, not sure how you're seeing only 90C. And water should be higher after the cool down lap due to reduced airflow/reduced cooling capacity.

Change that oil asap, it's shot after hitting 290F.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #624
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
What's a VR oil cooler? Do you mean VK motorwerks oil cooler?

Did you see the temp symbol, or did it just say: "engine malfunction, reduced power?"
VK oil cooler, my bad. I just have the cooler and bracket and I made my own lines and oil filter adapter. Saved me some money.

No symbols on the dash at all. I would hit the gas and nothing would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
props for going out there at 103F ambient.

At 290F oil you were running at reduced power mode regardless of whether you saw any errors but your water temps are too low, not sure how you're seeing only 90C. And water should be higher after the cool down lap due to reduced airflow/reduced cooling capacity.

Right after cool down lap I would pull into the pits and hook up my BT cable and 90-92 degree for coolant temp. I couldn't believe it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #625
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
VK oil cooler, my bad. I just have the cooler and bracket and I made my own lines and oil filter adapter. Saved me some money.

No symbols on the dash at all. I would hit the gas and nothing would happen.

Right after cool down lap I would pull into the pits and hook up my BT cable and 90-92 degree for coolant temp. I couldn't believe it.
By any chance, did you ever run stock coolant mix? If so, what water temps were you running then?

I only ask as I am running a 335 AT with 75/25 + WW. Just wondering how much of a difference it gave you.

I just got back from Thunderhill where temps were about 95F. Sadly, my day ended earlier. Looks like warped rotors.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #626
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

This was my first time with the 335 so I have nothing to compare it to.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #627
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
As long as its a good LL01 oil like Mobil 1, it should still be ok. Onionredwing did some lab analysis on oil he changed after 5k miles and numerous track events with 280F temps, and it was still serviceable.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #628
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As long as its a good LL01 oil like Mobil 1, it should still be ok. Onionredwing did some lab analysis on oil he changed after 5k miles and numerous track events with 280F temps, and it was still serviceable.
My last oil change after hitting 300F last year produced oil that (visually) looked broken down in watery streams. Very different than any of my other oil changes. This was with LL1 oil and AFAIK the head gasket was/is ok, no water/oil mix. Not a scientific analysis by any means, just a visual observation.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #629
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
I was able to get the oil temps to go over 260F (for the first time ever) on my last AutoX event. After the 5th run on the course, the oil temp hit 260F+ range and I am pretty sure if I continued to run like this it would have gotten hotter. Luckily, I remembered the trick to turn on the heater on max and I was able to quickly drop it down to 240F and keep it there for the duration of my runs.

Question:
Is there a setrab core that will bolt on directly to the existing oil cooler plumbing? I have the factory oil cooler and I am thinking of upgrading it and improving the air glow through the cooler.

I am also contemplating on fabricating a small water mister that feeds from the headlamp washer lines to spray wiper fluid on the outside of the oil cooler on demand. Any comments on this?

Thanks in advance.
      08-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #630
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
I was able to get the oil temps to go over 260F (for the first time ever) on my last AutoX event. After the 5th run on the course, the oil temp hit 260F+ range and I am pretty sure if I continued to run like this it would have gotten hotter. Luckily, I remembered the trick to turn on the heater on max and I was able to quickly drop it down to 240F and keep it there for the duration of my runs.

Question:
Is there a setrab core that will bolt on directly to the existing oil cooler plumbing? I have the factory oil cooler and I am thinking of upgrading it and improving the air glow through the cooler.

I am also contemplating on fabricating a small water mister that feeds from the headlamp washer lines to spray wiper fluid on the outside of the oil cooler on demand. Any comments on this?

Thanks in advance.
The core will do little without proper ducting to it. The ducting on the 335s is woeful. As a wise man once said, "The only thing that should be in front of a radiator is air"
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #631
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:

Question:

Thanks in advance.
Do you track as well or just AutoX? I wouldn't worry at all for a 1 minute lap. 20-30 minutes is another story.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #632
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Yeah, AutoX only. Well, the first heat had 7 runs so there was a considerable time between each run waiting on others to finish their respective lap. In the mean time the car is staged and engine running. So those 7 runs would indeed get into the 20-30 minute range.

Yeah, I agree, I need to improve the airflow to that oil cooler. The OEM lower grills are way too restrictive for airflow.
      08-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #633
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, AutoX only. Well, the first heat had 7 runs so there was a considerable time between each run waiting on others to finish their respective lap. In the mean time the car is staged and engine running. So those 7 runs would indeed get into the 20-30 minute range.

Yeah, I agree, I need to improve the airflow to that oil cooler. The OEM lower grills are way too restrictive for airflow.
a car staged with engine running between autoX runs is nowhere near the profile of a 20-30 minute HPDE where you're constantly on the throttle or brakes for the entire session. You can't compare the 2. You shouldn't see any overheating or power loss issues at an autoX event.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #634
vasillalov
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
a car staged with engine running between autoX runs is nowhere near the profile of a 20-30 minute HPDE where you're constantly on the throttle or brakes for the entire session. You can't compare the 2. You shouldn't see any overheating or power loss issues at an autoX event.
Indeed, I did not see any overheating or power loss issues. I just get bit concerned when the oil temps get past the 250F mark, that's all.

So back to my original question: is there a setrab oil cooler that will bolt up directly to our factory oil cooler plumbing? Improved oil cooler efficiency combined with better airflow should definitely improve things.
      08-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #635
meepster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Thanks to the help of dsbj and a few others, I was able to get my AiM Solo DL hooked up to the ECU of my 2007 E92 335i 6MT this past weekend at Thunderhill. You can see the video below - watch the oil and water temps as I go through just a few hot laps. I was in the 280 to 290 range for a while after everything got going. Note, this was with the original Cobb AccessPort Beta for the 2007's in Stage0 (stock boost) mode since I didn't like the Stage1 power handling (too abrupt/unpredictable).

The next day I tried the updated Cobb in Stage1 mode and it Limp'd me on the second session even though temps were lower (270-280 range). I completely detuned and removed the Cobb for the last two sessions and had normal temps (I think, need to double-check the data and post) for those runs. This is with the stock oil cooler and running between 95 and 100 degrees ambient.

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #636
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepster View Post
Thanks to the help of dsbj and a few others, I was able to get my AiM Solo DL hooked up to the ECU of my 2007 E92 335i 6MT this past weekend at Thunderhill. You can see the video below - watch the oil and water temps as I go through just a few hot laps. I was in the 280 to 290 range for a while after everything got going. Note, this was with the original Cobb AccessPort Beta for the 2007's in Stage0 (stock boost) mode since I didn't like the Stage1 power handling (too abrupt/unpredictable).

The next day I tried the updated Cobb in Stage1 mode and it Limp'd me on the second session even though temps were lower (270-280 range). I completely detuned and removed the Cobb for the last two sessions and had normal temps (I think, need to double-check the data and post) for those runs. This is with the stock oil cooler and running between 95 and 100 degrees ambient.

nice run. I'm guessing based on the oil temps you're using stock cooling?

details on the ECU hookup please, where did you mount the Aim and how/where did you run the OBD cable?

I'm using trackmaster with a bluetooth Qstarz GPS and then off to Dashware for analysis/video integration but I have no hookup to the ECU for temps, would love to get that info in somehow!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #637
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

I love that Solo. It's awesome. I'm definitely envious of that and your new track shoes. Just looking at the video, I can see where you can pick up time with later braking, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it would be the same with me. That data acquisition is going to help a lot with your overall learning curve.

Question: how do you sync it with the video? Is it just a overlay in iMovie and you play with the timing does it have it's own software? How were those new tires on day 2? Feel better than the PS2? Inspire more confidence?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #638
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep

Quote:
nice run. I'm guessing based on the oil temps you're using stock cooling?

details on the ECU hookup please, where did you mount the Aim and how/where did you run the OBD cable?

I'm using trackmaster with a bluetooth Qstarz GPS and then off to Dashware for analysis/video integration but I have no hookup to the ECU for temps, would love to get that info in somehow!
Hope you don't mind Aki...

He's 6MT using stock cooling/coolant. Probably should change that the next go around. This only requires 2 cables that attach into the ECU harness. We did it in between our last 2 sessions. It takes all but 30 minutes start to finish. However, we just ran the wire into the window. Need to have it go through the glovebox for a cleaner install. This thing is easy to use and very accurate. I want one... just not sure I'm ready to drop $700 on it.
Appreciate 0