E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > What could this be...

10-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
What could this be...

Hi guys

I have a 2010 e90 325i sedan with sports pack - 9000 kms and 10 months old.

I have noticed that when I slow down to turn a corner and then go to accelerate my car kind of goes dead for a split second and then it will move as I really push on the peddle (the tacho says the revs are there though). It is as if the engine stops or alternatively, the car is waiting for the gear box to drop down and the gear to engage.

It can be frustrating and once or twice it has been a bit dangerous as the car seems to "stall" in the bloody intersection and the other cars keep coming.

As I say it is only for a second and seems more prevalent at around 30 to 40 km/h. Any ideas or words of wisdom as to what it might be - other than my crap driving?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

I had a very similar problem in an Audi, turned out to be the clutch plate
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW View Post

.....twice it has been a bit dangerous...
.....Any ideas or words of wisdom......
Yes, take it immediately to the dealer for a full diagnosis.

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Hi guys

I have noticed that when I slow down to turn a corner and then go to accelerate my car kind of goes dead for a split second and then it will move as I really push on the peddle (the tacho says the revs are there though). It is as if the engine stops or alternatively, the car is waiting for the gear box to drop down and the gear to engage.

It can be frustrating and once or twice it has been a bit dangerous as the car seems to "stall" in the bloody intersection and the other cars keep coming.

As I say it is only for a second and seems more prevalent at around 30 to 40 km/h. Any ideas or words of wisdom as to what it might be - other than my crap driving?

Thanks
1. I assume this is a NEW thing and not been this way since you picked up the car
2. I also Assume this is not when you first start the car but when the car is WARM.

In this case go directly to BMW and do not pass go. In the mean time cross the road carefully!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Sounds like a pretty standard feautre of the BMW transmission programming, especially evident in the N52 due to the lack of torque but it does occur in the n54 and n55 aswell.

The geabox is designed to hold gear 2 as long as possible when decelerating.. so if you slow right down, it'll hold gear 2, then suddenly you want to get back on the accelerator, the car tries to go but realises it doesn't have enough torque then spends another half second downshifting and finally forward progress as your passenger freaks out because you're sitting in oncoming traffic and not moving anywhere.

Another quirk of the transmission is the 'tip in' delay...
you push the accelerator slightly - nothing...
push it a little more - it starts to wake up...
a fraction more - wham, you've spilt your coffee.

OP try DS mode and selecting gears manually, I doubt the issue would show up there.

A BMS PBX eliminates either in full or mostly this issue, perhaps look into one...

Goodluck.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
LOL

Quote:
A BMS PBX eliminates either in full or mostly this issue, perhaps look into one... Goodluck.
DCT
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
ABC99G
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Sounds like a pretty standard feautre of the BMW transmission programming, especially evident in the N52 due to the lack of torque but it does occur in the n54 and n55 aswell.

The geabox is designed to hold gear 2 as long as possible when decelerating.. so if you slow right down, it'll hold gear 2, then suddenly you want to get back on the accelerator, the car tries to go but realises it doesn't have enough torque then spends another half second downshifting and finally forward progress as your passenger freaks out because you're sitting in oncoming traffic and not moving anywhere.

OP try DS mode and selecting gears manually, I doubt the issue would show up there.

A BMS PBX eliminates either in full or mostly this issue, perhaps look into one...

Goodluck.

I have this problem as well, it sounds like a standard BMW thing. I have the PBX installed and it still does it. I mostly drive it in manual mode now and it is better that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC99G View Post
I mostly drive it in manual mode now and it is better that way.
+1 i hate the delay....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
nosmash
Private
Rep
Drives: an oil burner

Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks
I had this problem when I had my 1 series before. I live in a hilly area and I hated it at roundabouts because it won't respond fast enough when I try to accelerate uphill.

I asked my SA about this and they checked the car. Could not find any problem.

I don't have this problem with the 320d anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
PerthBMW
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:

Goodluck.
Hey

Thanks a lot for the back ground information you seem to have nailed it as that is what it is like for my car. I am not too mechanically minded so what is a BMS PBX - I have no bloody idea...do Target or KMart sell it? (jokes)

Thanks to others who have replied I really appreciate your guidance.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Quote:
Hey

Thanks a lot for the back ground information you seem to have nailed it as that is what it is like for my car. I am not too mechanically minded so what is a BMS PBX - I have no bloody idea...do Target or KMart sell it? (jokes)

Thanks to others who have replied I really appreciate your guidance.
No probs,

the PBX doesn't eliminate it entirely but it reduces it a fair bit - if it rears it's ugly head just leave it in DS mode and select gears yourself...

http://burgertuning.com/BMS_Power_Box.html
Appreciate 0