Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Three Peice Forged Marcato & BBK HELP!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan 2008

Three Peice Forged Marcato & BBK HELP!

OK so I ordered the MMR's three piece forged black daimond and silver finish.
Then I went crazy and ordered the 380mm 6 piston Brembos Kandy apple red and the 345mm rear. Well Marcato has an offset in the front of 19x9 + 36
and 19 x 10 + 38 in the rear. Well they tried to make the face thinner to create a larger lip without changing the offset from the above settings. Marcato says that the huge rotor in the front is not the problem, it is the 4 piston caliper in rear is very thick and will hit the rim. They say I might have to get a spacer but I am still learning all this stuff. I want to avoid a 5mm hubcentric spacer if at all possible. For you guys that are good with rims, will a 19x10 + 38 be a problem on that caliper and if a spacer is the reality, is it all that bad as I am told? Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 01:26 AM   #2
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

380mm in the front isn't going to work. It's way to big, the caliper will not clear. I've talked to Blake at Marcato about this as well, and he's never gotten back to me. I'll see if I can get any updates on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 02:40 AM   #3
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

Quote:
Originally Posted by James************ View Post
380mm in the front isn't going to work. It's way to big, the caliper will not clear. I've talked to Blake at Marcato about this as well, and he's never gotten back to me. I'll see if I can get any updates on it.
on the contrary, i have 19x9 et38 with a 380mm 6pot brembo bbk and they fit fine. The thickness of the caliper clears by a few inches to be honest. The issue is the size of the rim. It barely clears, but it works fine.

On the rear, i run 19x10 et 25 with a 345mm 4pot brembo bbk and that sucka clears by a lot!

OP: you can run a 10mm spacer in the rear and you should be able to clear your bbk.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=hin
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo119 View Post
on the contrary, i have 19x9 et38 with a 380mm 6pot brembo bbk and they fit fine. The thickness of the caliper clears by a few inches to be honest. The issue is the size of the rim. It barely clears, but it works fine.

On the rear, i run 19x10 et 25 with a 345mm 4pot brembo bbk and that sucka clears by a lot!

OP: you can run a 10mm spacer in the rear and you should be able to clear your bbk.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=hin
Thanks for the help bro.
Is 10mm the smallest I can get away with or can I do 5mm. Only ask because I have read on the forum that the larger spacer you use the worse the driving dynamics and tilt of the wheel and uneven wear of the tire. Not sure if this is all true but not something I want to worry about on brand new PS2s.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8MF View Post
Thanks for the help bro.
Is 10mm the smallest I can get away with or can I do 5mm. Only ask because I have read on the forum that the larger spacer you use the worse the driving dynamics and tilt of the wheel and uneven wear of the tire. Not sure if this is all true but not something I want to worry about on brand new PS2s.
You can do a 5mm spacer without any real problems.

Tilt of the wheel and uneven tire wear can be corrected by having an alignment done. Just as long as you're within spec of your camber/toe you're fine. I ran a spacer on my last set of wheels for 6 months w/o an issue.

I'd go with H&R with the extended bolts if you decide to use one.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep

Was just informed by the company that I will need 10mm spacers front and back.
I am very unhappy with the miss information from this company.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the help bro.
A spacer will not affect your tire wear in any way, shape, or form. The only way it could possibly affect tire wear is if you some how install it incorrectly. At that point tire wear would be the least of your worries. Spacers can change suspension geometry and your scrub radius, but 5mm is really marginal and you don't have to worry. Use the spacer if you need them to clear the calipers. It'll be fine.

*edit I just saw you posted you needed a 10mm spacer front and back. Yea, that is somewhat unfortunate, but if you're set on those wheels, I would just use the spacers. But if you're not comfortable with spacers and you're still in the process of ordering and haven't committed...I'd suggest looking for a wheel that better fit your brakes.
      04-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Marcato Wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 650I SPORT | E63

Quote:
Was just informed by the company that I will need 10mm spacers front and back.
I am very unhappy with the miss information from this company.
THE ORDER WAS PLACED FOR A E90 E92 STOCK SET UP. WE TRIED OUR BEST TO SEE IF THE WAY THAT HE ORDERED THE WHEELS COULD STILL FIT THE BBK, BUT THEY WILL NOT. FORGED WHEELS CAN BE MADE TO FIT ALMOST ALL SET UPS AND ALSO MOST BBK KITS, BUT BECAUSE THE ORDER WAS PLACED AS A STOCK E90 SET UP THEY WILL NOT FIT. WE ARE SORRY THAT THE UPGRADES HE WANTED TO DO AFTER THE ORDER WILL NOT WORK BUT THE WHEELS ARE STILL BEING MADE TO THE SPECS HE REQUESTED AT THE DATE OF ORDER. BUT LIKE I SAID TODAY IF HE NEEDS THE WHEELS TO FIT A BBK SET UP WE WILL HELP HIM TO MAKE A NEW SET THAT ARE MADE ONLY FOR HIS CAR AND THE BRAKES THAT HE WANTS.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
XLR8MF
Captain
Rep

Basically you are putting the blame on me. I was trying not to let it come to that. If we are going to air out things on e90 than here we go. The order was placed and was told it would take 3 weeks (Fact). The order did not start being made until days later because you stated the order was made late in the day (fact). The Brembos were discussed by day two as per discussion of a photo shoot (fact). You stated that it would take till the end of the day to find out if it would fit but it took three (fact). I called yesterday and no one at Marcato could help me with my order my order because you were sick, which tells me only one person had the file but despite working for the same company no one wanted to get involved with it as if it was causing problems at your company. You called this morning telling me that 10mm spacers had to be used everywhere when you initially told me only in the rear (fact). I asked to have them re-cut to fit this morning and you stated i was stuck as this was not your fault despite your acknowledgment a person from Marcato was fired for providing inacurate info as to the clearence of the BBK (fact).
Your company wanted to help me sell incorrect rims when i have not even received them yet and charge me for new ones and start over. I am a nice person and patient but not stupid.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep

what i don't understand is how come the rear doesn't fit? I have over an inch of clearence on mine with an et25, so i don't see why a et36 won't fit. If anything, a 10mm will work on the rear.

As far as the front goes, you should be fine, no? I have the same setup but in a et38 and they completely clear the barrel and spokes. Different spoke design perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #11
brokemywallet
Slaveaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330I

the way the face is machined & the back pad has a lot to do with how much clearance the wheel will have. it is because 3 piece wheels usually can be made in large lip configurations, the "pad height" is increased/decreased accordingly to maximize lip sizing.

I used to work for a forged wheel company and we did encounter problems with caliper clearance & fitments. Sorry to hear the OP is having problems ...... whether is ordered that way or not......we do not know.
Appreciate 0