E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > PE Mod

03-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #23
RobertRichy
First Lieutenant II I know enough to be dangerous
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI N54 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidoman
I read on another thread that people we getting an xpipe for $45-90.. Where are those guys in the Denver area haha (provided that you bring your own xpipe for them to install)
That is why I am so annoyed. How can there be such a price disparity? The shop that modded my mufflers said they can do the xpipe installed for $160. My concern is that I take the time to drop the car off and I get a call telling me it will be closer to $300. Good news is I have the quote in writing so I'll prob be gong that route. I just don't get it. I understand what Milehigh is saying about cuts and all but if I knew how to weld I can't imagine it taking me more than an hour or so to do the job myself.
2010 E90 LCI N54 335xi / AR DP's / KW V1 / Stoptech Slotted Rotors / SS lines / EBC Yellowstuff / Fuel-it stage 2 LPFP / Fuel-it Bluetooth Content Analyzer / ETS FMIC / VRSF CP / TurboSmart Dual Port Kompact kit / MHD / WEDGE E60 ProTune / CORSA Exhaust / Alpina TCU / VTT Outlets / MMP Inlets
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #24
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRichy View Post
That is why I am so annoyed. How can there be such a price disparity? The shop that modded my mufflers said they can do the xpipe installed for $160. My concern is that I take the time to drop the car off and I get a call telling me it will be closer to $300. Good news is I have the quote in writing so I'll prob be gong that route. I just don't get it. I understand what Milehigh is saying about cuts and all but if I knew how to weld I can't imagine it taking me more than an hour or so to do the job myself.
I'm sure it would have maybe been cheaper to have done both at once. I think a lot of places are marking up because its "custom work" and it for a BMW
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #25
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidoman View Post
I'm sure it would have maybe been cheaper to have done both at once. I think a lot of places are marking up because its "custom work" and it for a BMW
Definetely not because is a BMW. Yes, I agree, it will be cheaper to do it all at once. Shop are in the business to make money. I honestly don't see X pipe done for $50 even at a back alley shop. Unless they are your fiends and just covering basic expences of operation. No insult to anyone, including OP, but he is cheap. Actually, that is understatment because he said PE mod feel to him as $75 job. Well, open up shop OP and do these mods for $75. Then will talk again.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 10:43 PM   #26
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Definetely not because is a BMW. Yes, I agree, it will be cheaper to do it all at once. Shop are in the business to make money. I honestly don't see X pipe done for $50 even at a back alley shop. Unless they are your fiends and just covering basic expences of operation. No insult to anyone, including OP, but he is cheap. Actually, that is understatment because he said PE mod feel to him as $75 job. Well, open up shop OP and do these mods for $75. Then will talk again.
Wow! Back from the dead. Hey not trying to get into anything with you but just wanted you to know that I was exaggerating a bit about my pricing expectations. However, I was able to the X-pipe done by the same shop that did the mod for $149. That is definitely more in line with my expectations compared to several local shops claiming that it would be "custom work". Meanwhile they are installing Xpipes in a new CTS-V & Corvette for $200. Just not sure how or why a BMW 335 Xpipe install is any more difficult than the aforementioned cars. Not to mention what they quoted me to "install" the mufflers. By "install" I mean cut the old ones off and hang the modded mufflers and clamp them on with clamps that I provided.
Shops are free to charge what ever price they want. My perception of a good deal is clearly different than yours. Perhaps because you have more knowledge on this particular subject and true costs associated with this type of work. My spend expectation were/are based on many others on this forum who had the work done for less than I did. And I did not see any of the claiming to get "the buddy" hook up. That includes several guys that I PM'd.

I guess the point of me posting my experience was to help anyone who is looking to have the mod done for themselves. Especially now that OEM PE mufflers can be had for $600- $700 bucks. Had I known it was going to be so tough to find a shop that was willing to perform the mod at a reasonable price I probobly would have just saved my pennies a got the real thing.
2010 E90 LCI N54 335xi / AR DP's / KW V1 / Stoptech Slotted Rotors / SS lines / EBC Yellowstuff / Fuel-it stage 2 LPFP / Fuel-it Bluetooth Content Analyzer / ETS FMIC / VRSF CP / TurboSmart Dual Port Kompact kit / MHD / WEDGE E60 ProTune / CORSA Exhaust / Alpina TCU / VTT Outlets / MMP Inlets
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #27
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just not sure how or why a BMW 335 Xpipe install is any more difficult than the aforementioned cars.
335i exhaust is not symmetrical compared to V8 engine cars ahd therefore the x-pipe mode involves more work. Take a look of the stock exhaust and the silencer that need to be replaced with x-pipe:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 07:50 AM   #28
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Meanwhile they are installing Xpipes in a new CTS-V & Corvette for $200. Just not sure how or why a BMW 335 Xpipe install is any more difficult than the aforementioned cars.
This is Corvette exhaust, stock and x-pipe modified for comparison:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #29
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the education. It's nice to see the side by side. Too bad we did not sync up before all of my efforts to get the work done. You have explained it better than any of the 7 shops I talked to.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #30
Hobbs64
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Robert, Where did you finally settle on having the custom exhaust work done? I'm heading down the same path and want to avoid the other 6 conversations!

C.G.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #31
RobertRichy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dropped my mufflers of at Buds Muffler yesterday along with pdf of "how to mod your OEM mufflers to sound like PE"
Just like several other shops I talked to they were not sure how to go about it without detailed explanation. After reviewing the instructions and talking it through with me they said they'd do it. I made it very clear that I wanted it done in a very specific way. The way Whitefury outlines in his post.

Interesting side note: the Buds guys said they do something similar with Porsche mufflers quite a bit.

I also scored big time and was able to pick up a set of new OEM claps for $44 from another exhaust shop. I can't believe they had them and were selling for that cheap. I was expecting to pay $160 at Murray BMW. Anyway, I will post a review when I get them installed. Should be tomorrow. I told the guys at Buds that they would probably have a few more Bimmer guys headed their way if all turns out well. Not sure what the total bill for labor will be yet but will include in my follow up post.
Buds Muffler
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 04:11 PM   #32
gungriffin
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport

Out of curiosity, what inspired you to go this route as opposed to something like a VRSF exhaust? Is the VRSF exhaust just too loud?
Appreciate 0